User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Your right, I forgot about having the dealer install or front AC. I just looked it up, it adds 8.25" in height. So my height is now 13'2".

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Correction: Your height is AT LEAST 13’2”. It’s very common to gain a couple of inches when hitched, so don’t count on a number you haven’t measured yourself.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Correction: Your height is AT LEAST 13’2”. It’s very common to gain a couple of inches when hitched, so don’t count on a number you haven’t measured yourself.
    Yup. I have my Low Clearances POIs set to 13'4"... Maybe I should do 13'6"... Hrm...

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my clearance set at 14' and use Sygic Truck to map my route. This identifies low clearances and routes around them.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think there's heart burn over clearances, wait until the sticker shock for the F450 hits you..... I'm still in recovery....
    2020 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke SB
    2021 GD Solitude S 2930RL-R (trailer#5)
    Married father of 4 (3 sons 1 daughter) Two Eagle Scouts
    Navy Veteran - InfoSec Examiner/Auditor in the financial industry

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaJeff View Post
    How often does height become an issue?
    Working on our 5th lap around the US and Canada. Been at it for over 10 years. Height issues are only an issue the first year or so, then you get used to looking for what you need to know. Over time you learn that you were over worried. All US highways are marked if clearance is below 14'. Municipalities put up signs for anything less than 14'. You may run into, wait, poorly phrased, you may find low railway crossings from time to time, but they are marked with signs and there will be a way around them within a few blocks.

So why do I feel this way about it? My SOB had major suspension issues. I spent big bucks to get them corrected.
    As I was heading out the door the service manager said: "Oh by the way, your trailer may be a bit taller now. "

I spent some time figuring out how to measure the height, and measured it 4 different times just to make sure: 13 8". Ok, now I was worried, I really delved into the land of obstruction clearance, bought truckers atlas, bought clearance POI software, spent many anxious moments crossing bridges. I never hit anything. Hmmmm!

Learned a couple of things. With very rare exception, in the US, anything under 14' is marked/signed. Most times there is signage on the highway well before you get to the low place. They mark the lowest place on the obstruction, so even things that are marked 13' 6" I cleared because the high point on the trailer is the A/C dead center on the trailer. So over time I got comfortable on the highway.

So where did I have trouble? Tree limbs in campgrounds. Actually tore my roof coming out of one, knew it was low, so I pulled around kind of to the side so it wouldn't hit the A/C. Caught edge of the roof, tore a 3' gash down the side. Unmarked gas station overhangs were a concern, I would get DW out to watch. I also learned that I could pull the truck up to the first pump, then back out, to avoid risking overhang disease.

You'll worry about it for while until you learn more. But I have moved catching an overhang from high probability to low probability in my risk analysis equation. It could happen, but it's unlikely.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember shortly after we got our Momentum we ended up going down a side street unintentionally because I didnt realize where the entrance to Cracker Barrel was located. There was no where to turn around and a very low looking railway underpass that wasnt marked was right in front of us, no signs prior to reaching it either. I slowed down as much as possible and as we go under I see my wife ducking down in her seat so she didnt hit it [emoji1787].

We never made contact with it and found a place to turn around and went under it again, safe, no contact and no markings on the other side either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my Trip Wizard hight set to 13' 10". I wanted to be sure it didn't underestimate. I also double check for low clearences using Allstays Camp & RV app too.

The hight issue comes into play at a lot of campgrounds. Most still don't get it - how high both 5th wheels and motorhomes have gotten. I was just in one recently I had to back out of and even after the owner trimmed the tree branches. The guy in a lower motorhome who got the site (I moved sites) still was in the trees (apparently he didn't care and neither did the CG owner).

So now I tend to ask for a tree-less site and I even select some campgrounds based on tree coverage when I have a choice.

About the F-450.... nice ride, maybe a bit of over kill for a 310GK-R, but you should be able to tow whatever you want with that. Glad the DS gave the OK.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I also spent the money on the Low Clearances POIs and loaded the the 12'8" and lower ones into Google Maps so I can verify any questions I might have about my route.
    Can you explain how you load low clearances into Google Maps? I would love to do this!!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    About the F-450.... nice ride, maybe a bit of over kill for a 310GK-R...
    Not really. I'm now exceeding the limits of my F-350/310GK combo. Because of that, I just ordered an F-450. Less payload than an F-350 DRW but better turning radius, tires, brakes and rear axle.

Either way, some folks with the Solitude 310GK-R need a dually!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    Can you explain how you load low clearances into Google Maps? I would love to do this!!
    There is a PDF that comes with the zip file you download from lowclearances.com that explains the process in great detail.

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast