User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much of an issue is height difference?

We are mapping out our next trailer for the upcoming empty nester years. We have a travel trailer now but the wife wants a fifth wheel. I told her only if I can get an F450. She said go for it so now I'm down the rabbit hole. I was leaning toward the Reflection 320MKS but she is pushing for the Solitude 310GK. Ignoring the price difference, my question is about height. The 320MKS is 12'6" and the Solitude is 13'5". How often does height become an issue? Does the Solitude become that much of a concern with the difference?
    Last edited by GeorgiaJeff; 05-15-2021 at 05:32 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaJeff View Post
    We are mapping out our next trailer for the upcoming empty nester years. We have a travel trailer now but the wife wants a fifth wheel. I told her only if I can get an F450. She said go for it so now I'm down the rabbit hole. I was leaning toward the Reflection 320MKS but she is pushing for the Solitude 310GK. Ignoring the price difference, my question is about height. The 320MKS is 12'6" and the Solitude is 13'5". How often does height become an issue? Does the Solitude become that much of a concern with the difference?
    Okay, to answer this question, I have to ask one of my own. Where will you be spending most of your time in the coach? East coast, Central, Southern, Mountain, or West Coast?

The reason for this query is, based on my experience alone, the East Coast send to have more low clearance bridges, due to older railroad bridges, than anywhere else in the country. As long as you are cognizant of the low clearances, you should be fine.

In the RV Trip Wizard, I have my 320MKS as 12'8", instead of the 12'6". It's just my peace of mind. I also spent the money on the Low Clearances POIs and loaded the the 12'8" and lower ones into Google Maps so I can verify any questions I might have about my route.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont find it an issue if you do your research on your route ahead of time. My Momentum was right about 13' 5" and our Reflection is at 12' 3". We traveled a lot on the East coast with our Momentum and never needed to turn around due to low clearance. Like i said, research ahead of time is what is needed. Better go for what the wife wants, you chose the F450...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plan is to just roam for a few years so could end up anywhere. Home base will be land in Georgia so a lot of southeast travel. Our family is all midwest and we want to explore the southwest so that will be the bulk of time I would imagine.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I dont find it an issue if you do your research on your route ahead of time. My Momentum was right about 13' 5" and our Reflection is at 12' 3". We traveled a lot on the East coast with our Momentum and never needed to turn around due to low clearance. Like i said, research ahead of time is what is needed. Better go for what the wife wants, you chose the F450...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I can't argue with that. I didn't expect her to go for the F450 so quickly. She outsmarted me yet again!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I can't argue with that. I didn't expect her to go for the F450 so quickly. She outsmarted me yet again!
    Can your DW talk to mine. I want to go shopping for an F450 too. Lol

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That height difference may be due to the Solitude having the front AC standard and it being an option on the Reflection. If you add the second AC to the Reflection, a worthwhile upgrade IMO, the heights are probably pretty close.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the Solitude become that much of a concern with the difference?
    I've had a Reflection and two Solitudes. I don't notice any difference between the two. I figure anything over ten feet is TALL and you really need to pay attention to overhanging tree branches, etc. I've never had to reroute due to height. I actually had MORryde add two inches of height to my current Solitude when they added their IS system so it would sit level with my truck.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Reflection is only significantly shorter without a front A/C. Honestly, it makes no difference travel-wise as there are truck routes everywhere that handle the height and map apps to help. Where there's consideration is the campground style you prefer. That's where the height can get you into some challenges.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The Reflection is only significantly shorter without a front A/C. Honestly, it makes no difference travel-wise as there are truck routes everywhere that handle the height and map apps to help. Where there's consideration is the campground style you prefer. That's where the height can get you into some challenges.
    Your right, I forgot about having the dealer install or front AC. I just looked it up, it adds 8.25" in height. So my height is now 13'2".

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast