User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stabilizer Jacks

Hydraulic stabilizer system on a Solitude. First time to own a fithwheel with a hydraulic system does anyone use manual jacks to keep the hydraulic system from creeping down?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shellronnie View Post
    Hydraulic stabilizer system on a Solitude. First time to own a fithwheel with a hydraulic system does anyone use manual jacks to keep the hydraulic system from creeping down?
    Mine has never crept down. On soft surfaces, it may appear to, but it really is the jacks settling in the ground.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shellronnie View Post
    We've got a Solitude with the hydraulic system, purchased last November. It's been in storage over the winter in northern Idaho. The RV is sitting on the front landing gear on Rophor buckets (Amazon). I put jacks stands under the frame in front, with about a 1/2" gap, because I didn't know if the hydraulic system would creep done over the months, particularly in cold weather (below 0°F). I was also concerned about the Rophor buckets shattering in the cold.

It varied maybe 1/8" with the contraction and expansion of the hydraulic oil with changes in temperature (∆ 60°F). At 40°F it was back to exactly where it started three months earlier - 0 creep down - never touched the jack stands. I probably will always use the jack stands for peace of mind during seasonal storage, but otherwise not.

I will always use them if I'm changing a tire or underneath the RV with the tires off. If the tires are on, I put the leveling jacks down before going underneath. I like having two different support systems - chicken.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, if it creeps down, the system is faulty and needs to be repaired. There's a seal leaking somewhere, but IME that's a pretty rare occurrence. Spend your money elsewhere.

We had our last 5th wheel for over 10 years and never had any issues.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Basically, if it creeps down, the system is faulty and needs to be repaired. There's a seal leaking somewhere, but IME that's a pretty rare occurrence. Spend your money elsewhere.

We had our last 5th wheel for over 10 years and never had any issues.

I agree with Hoopy Frood. If the jacks retract at all on their own, they need to be fixed.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Factory Solar, Factory Disk Brakes, Heat Pump

2017 Reflection 29RS (Sold)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been in our current rig full-time for two years... never any "creeping down." The Lippert hydraulic systems are known for making popping sounds from a phenomenon called stiction. You can read about it here:

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0002091.pdf

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015