Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plastic Toilet?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpainter View Post
    The creaking is real! My wife is not a big person (at all) and it wakes me up every time she sits on it. I've been eyeing the 320. Have installed several residential toilets so I'm not afraid to turn a wrench but never messed much with RV stuff. Did you do the swap yourself?
    I did do the swap myself. It took all of 20 minutes. Make sure the water is off, remove the water line, take the two flange nuts off, remove toilet. Make sure the new toilet gasket is in place, put new toilet on the flange, put nuts on, tighten, attach water line, have a beer.

Note: Not knowing how much room you have for a different toilet to fit so the seat stays up, measure where the flange is on the floor and check with whatever toilet you want to buy beforehand to make sure you have the room. Most provide a diagram of the space needed. The Dometic 320 fit for me but just barely!
    Last edited by RobWNY; 06-07-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to Grand Design today.

The nice lady I spoke with said that there was no part substitution on our unit and that the Dometic 9108765622 (which is all plastic) is what it was supposed to ship with, so apparently they have moved to plastic models, at least for the 2910BH.
    2021 Imagine 2910BH
    Tow Vehicle:2021 Ford F-250 Lariat w/ 7.3L Godzilla V8

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpainter View Post
    I talked to Grand Design today.

The nice lady I spoke with said that there was no part substitution on our unit and that the Dometic 9108765622 (which is all plastic) is what it was supposed to ship with, so apparently they have moved to plastic models, at least for the 2910BH.
    That's bad news. Not that it's tough to replace, but seems a step backwards.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2021 2500RL came with a Thetford porcelain bowl and plastic seat and lid.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice here!

I didn't get anywhere talking to Grand Design support so I did some more research on a possible upgrade. I decided to install a Dometic 320. The one I was a given was a 300 so the base is the same and water hookup was already ideal. I was worried the 320 wouldn't fit due to the elongated bowl but I'm happy to report that it was close but it fit just fine!

(sorry for the rotated image -- no time to fix that. :-) )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210613_170225917.MP.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	34934

Also, as an aside, I was a little annoyed to discover that whoever installed the original toilet also cross-threaded the fresh water supply really bad. I mean, there's literally no excuse for that and was probably a leak waiting to happen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210613_133221802.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	34935
    2021 Imagine 2910BH
    Tow Vehicle:2021 Ford F-250 Lariat w/ 7.3L Godzilla V8

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!!!! looks great!!!!
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it looks awesome! I figured I would start with that before I made the smart-aleck remark of "you did a crappy job" HAHAHAHA

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welp, we are "victim" to the same plastic toilet as well. Had a 2800BH for 3 years and just got a '21 2500RL last month. We know these Imagines inside and out and know that they come with porcelain toilets. So OF COURSE we never did a squat test on the toilet in our walkthrough. Had we done that we could easily have heard the creaking and possibly asked for something to be done.

Anyway, after the first trip we learned how squeaky and impossible to not wake anyone when using it in the middle of the night. So got a Dometic 320 and replacement was easy. It BARELY fits, in fact the lids can't quite flip up far enough so you either have to hold them up or sit to pee. I'll take that over the creaking!

Now to see if anyone on craigslist wants a plastic brand new rv toilet!

My theory is definitely a supply chain issue. If you look on the GDRV parts list, the exact toilet is listed as in our 2019. There are not 2 types (porcelain, plastic). I think they did not want to hold up shipping units due to lack of toilets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daemonic3 View Post
    Welp, we are "victim" to the same plastic toilet as well. Had a 2800BH for 3 years and just got a '21 2500RL last month. We know these Imagines inside and out and know that they come with porcelain toilets. So OF COURSE we never did a squat test on the toilet in our walkthrough. Had we done that we could easily have heard the creaking and possibly asked for something to be done.

Anyway, after the first trip we learned how squeaky and impossible to not wake anyone when using it in the middle of the night. So got a Dometic 320 and replacement was easy. It BARELY fits, in fact the lids can't quite flip up far enough so you either have to hold them up or sit to pee. I'll take that over the creaking!

Now to see if anyone on craigslist wants a plastic brand new rv toilet!

My theory is definitely a supply chain issue. If you look on the GDRV parts list, the exact toilet is listed as in our 2019. There are not 2 types (porcelain, plastic). I think they did not want to hold up shipping units due to lack of toilets.
    Our 2022 2400BH shipped with a plastic toilet. The sales staff was less than helpful and was honestly pretty rude about it. They acted as if we should even be grateful we're getting a trailer. Not even sure how to proceed with that. They said they'd "check with GD about the toilet," but I doubt that'll happen. Excuses about parts shortages and what not. Still doesn't fix the fact the trailer I was shown had a porcelain toilet pointed out by the salesman, and the one I got was plastic, followed by an insulting tirade from the sales manager in the parking lot over me even asking about (overheard by a family member) and how "I'm not replacing their #$%'ing toilet".

Really put a damper on the whole buying experience, which is unfortunate since it's just a toilet and an extremely cheap fix to boot. 36 years old. Won't be the last RV I buy in my lifetime, but for sure will be the last I buy from them.

Frustrating when GDRV parts list for 2022 only has one part number listed for a toilet and it's porcelain.
    Last edited by JE3146; 07-22-2021 at 02:07 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To those intending to replace the plastic toilet with a porcelain one, get the Dometic brand NOT Thetford. Our last trailer had a Thetford that failed after three years of use. The foot lever wore out and fell off leaving no way to shutoff the water flow. Replaced it with the Dometic, which is a much better quality brand. By the way, our 2022 3100RD came with the porcelain Thetford, which I intend to replace before it too falls apart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12