User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VIN and stock number changed

I ordered a 2021 22MLE on 2/24/21 from B. Young RV in WA, put down a $3,000 deposit, have a buyer's order listing a VIN and stock number, and was told estimated delivery date was 3/26/2021.

Fast forward to April, and I call Grand Design for an update and gave them my name and VIN number. They said it was off the line waiting for foam for the cushions.

Onto May, the salesperson who sold us the unit cold called us asking us if we were still interested in an MLE obviously oblivious to the fact we already bought one from him.
    When we explained we were waiting on the unit we ordered he said he would check on it. He called us back and told us it was on it's way.

Now it's mid May, I call Grand Design for an update and the VIN no longer exists in their system. Apparently that VIN was sold as retail stock????

After many phone calls (most not returned) I am given a new off the line date of June 9th, told it was a 2022, and given a different VIN and stock number. Their explanation was that the VIN was mixed up between their two different locations.

I have a real suspicion that when the unit that we ordered showed up, the sales guy called around (hence why he called us) to see if he could sell it for a higher price rather than fulfilling our order. We were moved to the back of the line with the new VIN and stock number.

Is this the normal course business? Has this happened to anyone else? Do I have any recourse?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its definitely not normal and I believe your suspicion is spot on!

As far as recourse? I doubt there's much you can do. They probably could care less if you walked even if they had to give your deposit back. They'll be able to sell it without issue. If I could wait, I would tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. Best case they're incompetent but I bet your right and they just sold it for more money and left you hanging. I would be concerned that they do it again.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I would love to tell them to stick it. If the June date does not materialize I most certainly will. I have been checking around and there are units on the lots now, granted a few thousand more. The best I can do is spread the word that B YOUNG RV are a bunch of shady characters and when you act unethically it comes around to bite you. Hopefully it will cost them more in future sales then what they made selling our order to the highest bidder.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 73Tracey View Post
    Yep, I would love to tell them to stick it. If the June date does not materialize I most certainly will. I have been checking around and there are units on the lots now, granted a few thousand more. The best I can do is spread the word that B YOUNG RV are a bunch of shady characters and when you act unethically it comes around to bite you. Hopefully it will cost them more in future sales then what they made selling our order to the highest bidder.
    I am quite positive you are paying a hefty premium (3-5k) for buying on the west coast
    Find one somewhere else and go for a road trip

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload