User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We finally decided on the 22RBE over the 22MLE. It came down to the interior layout. The bigger bathroom and better kitchen layout. We would have preferred the slide on the other side but it's not a big deal for us.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RLundin View Post
    What is everyone's towing experience with the 22MLE? I was hoping to stay with a 1/2 ton but now I'm leaning towards a 3/4 ton truck to tow this RV. I haven't purchased either the trailer or truck yet.
    I tow it with a RWD F150 w/ 1700 Payload. Given I've put some time and money into making it work with the TT, but it's doable.

I need to get actual weights still, but I'd guess based off weighting bins of stuff as I loaded it that it's about 6,000-6,300 lbs.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So your RWD F150 can support 1700lbs of payload?

Am I calculating this right?

Trailer GVWR = 6,995lb (from Grand Design 22MLE specs)
    Hitch weight at GVWR = 839 (used 12% of GVWR)
    People/gear in truck = ~600lb
    Total = 1,439lb (so you have 261lbs to spare according to this)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct. It's an STX so less options and without 4x4 it frees up more weight for Payload.

You are using the correct method, except an additional 100lbs on the Payload for the WDH. Everyone's numbers will look a little different especially using the actual loaded weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is everyone's towing experience with the 22MLE? I was hoping to stay with a 1/2 ton but now I'm leaning towards a 3/4 ton truck to tow this RV. I haven't purchased either the trailer or truck yet.
    I have a 2020 F-150 (3.5 EcoBoost | SuperCrew | Short Bed | 3.55 Axle Ratio | 4x4 / Off Road | Max Tow | 7,000 GVWR / 1,819 Payload) and have towed my 2021 22MLE about 3,300 miles since February. With a properly configured weight distribution hitch with sway control, I would say it tows fine. Heavy winds are uncomfortable and you definitely feel the semis as they pass, but overall I'm happy with it. That said, I rarely drive faster than 60 MPH and I think this is about as big a trailer as I would be comfortable pulling with the half ton.

The 3/4 ton will definitely be a better tow experience as well as giving you more flexibility in the future if you decide you want a bigger trailer at some point. Up to you if the additional cost is worth it to you. For the 22MLE specifically, I don't think it's a requirement.
    2020 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew 3.5L V6 EcoBoost
    2021 Grand Design 22MLE Imagine XLS
    Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Response

We are new to trailers and towing, so you won’t get any expert advice from us. What I can tell you is that we tow our 22MLE with a 2020 F150 3.5L EcoBoost, max tow package, Towing Capacity 10,500, Weight Distributed Max Trailer Capacity - 13,200, GCWR 16,200, and some other numbers we don’t understand. Equalizer weight distribution system.

All that to say, it tows beautifully. We live in CO, and have no problem with the mountain passes. Wind is always a challenge, but I have nothing to compare it to. Hope this helps.

Joe
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2020 F-150, Crew Cab, 3.5L Eco, 4X4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As this is just for my wife and I, the 22MLE was PERFECT. We leave the curtain open, which gives a less closed-in feeling. It really does "feel" like a much larger trailer than what it is. The boss (wife) misses the garbage can as well, but like many, I take garbage out when done with a the meal. Other than that, I really have no complaints. People on this forum are VERY knowledgeable and are more than willing and able to provide you with any help you may need.

Regarding the tow vehicle, we rent (Purpose for towing) a 3/4 ton truck from Enterprise. I would not buy any vehicle these days. With the chip shortage and other factors, prices for new or used tucks are crazy expensive. I do not know you situation, but since my wife and I still work, we are once-a-month, long weekend warriors (May-Oct). Figure 4 days of camping * six months = approx 1 month of actual usage. I pay about $90, which includes an extra $15 per day for towing, a day, plus 200 free miles per day. So 4 days (thrus-mon - Enterprise is closed on Sundays) and 800 free miles only cost me about $400. We live outside of Atlanta, so within 300+ miles all around, I can go to the mountains and the beaches. Renting for us is more cost effective, until we are close to retiring (about 5 years) when we can have more time to enjoy our 22mle. The thought of having a $700-1000 monthly truck payment, plus insurance, plus maintenance, AND only for the truck to sit idle for the winter months... well you can see our logic. True, we are throwing away about $2,500 a year or $12,500 over 5 years, but our math (logic) still works for renting. The trade off is not being able to pickup and go when you want. A little more planning is required. However, getting a decent camp site (unless you boondock) is difficult these days as well.
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trailer GVWR should be compared to the trucks GCVWR — Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating — of the vehicle you plan to tow with and the trailer you plan to tow, together with all the cargo each will carry, from people to wiper fluid.

The hitch weight should be compared to the trucks hitch rating (max hitch weight).

Both must be compared

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xls 22mle

Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    I'm also looking at the Imagine XLS 22MLE and 22RBE. They are similar but the 22MLE has the booth dinette and slightly narrower entertainment seats whereas the 22RBE uses that space for a larger bathroom and kitchen counter space.

I'm assuming the people here who bought the 22MLE also looked at the 22RBE only has the wider entertainment seats with a removable dinette table, so I'm curious what made you go for the 22MLE over the 22RBE.

Thanks in advance
    Corky
    We never checked out the 22RBE, so I cannot comment on that model. We chose the XLS 22MLE because the slide is on the opposite side from the Dinette and Awning, it has plenty of storage, and most importantly, when the slide is completely in, you still have access to everything in case you have to pull over to a rest stop or something else before you reach your destination. I hope this helped.
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance ‘D’ rated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marygr View Post
    Hello, all. I'm hoping someone on this thread who owns the Imagine XLS 22MLE can suggest where a person would put a trash can for kitchen garbage? We are close to buying one but trying to iron out all the little daily use things. I tried the search function but haven't come up with an answer. Any ideas of what you do would be very much appreciated! Thanks.
    Our Kitchen trash bin is around 18” in height and about 10” in width, we place it when camping by the Breakers and Fuses Panel below the Pantry, but not right against it, as the Fan needs to blow air out. The can is somewhat out of the way and works for my wife when she is in the Kitchen. We have a smaller Stainless Steel one with the slow-shutting lid in the Bathroom between the Toilet and Towel Cubbies, and right above is where we mounted the TP roll dispenser. Works for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance ‘D’ rated

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast