User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide-Outs - Bringing in when it's Raining or Dirty

All,

New to a trailer with slide-outs that do not have awning covers. We took our new 310GK out this weekend and it pretty much rained the whole time. We were in a campground with a lot of trees and debris as well and got me thinking. I am sure this has probably been discussed before, so apologize for the new thread, but easier sometimes versus trying to search.

What does everyone do when you need to bring in your slides and it's either raining, or has been raining, and/or there is a lot of water/debris on the top of the slide-outs? I had a cordless blower so I climbed on the roof and blew everything off as best as possible since we had a break in the rain, but that may not always be the case.

Would love to hear feedback.

John and Thelma Hickert (Missouri)
    2021 GD Solitude 310GK
    2020 F350 Gas 7.3L SRW Crew Cab
    Anderson Hitch
    2X Predator 2000W Generators/Parallel kit
    Previous Setup:
    2009 Newmar Baystar 3201
    2009 Ford Ranger Toad

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also have the 310GK. I removed the slide toppers because they were too damn noisy in heavy winds. I did so knowing before bringing in slides I would check for debris and sweep off if necessary and those without slide toppers should sweep any debris off. As for when raining I have brought the slides in with light rains, only down side is a small amount of water comes in with the slides and ends up on the floor.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have slide out toppers either. That was intentional - too much noise in the wind.

We don't bother to bring them in for rain, dust, or leaves falling. I just do a few different things depending on the situation....

For rain I don't do anything.

If I am not sure I need to clean the tops off I put my phone on a long selfie stick and record a short video while holding the phone up so it can video the tops (it saves me a wasted trip up the ladder).

If I need to clean them off I can climb up and sweep them (usually the case) or I have a blower and a gutter cleaning extension I can use to blow any debris off.

Sometimes, if I am in one place a long time (not usually the case) I pull out the extension when I use the blower to freshen up the camping pad site.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, we too have been caught needing to leave after rains or it is still raining a number of times over the years. I carry a 7' folding step ladder in our basement storage (strapped to the upper aluminum channel framing) and sweep off the slide tops/sides with my RV washing brush. Not an issue if the wash brush gets wet and dirty just wash it out.....it works well for this.

Carol or I will wipe off the slide exterior walls as we are moving the slide(s) in as well as the top to prevent or minimize water from getting on the floor area. We also have a small 3 step foldable step stool which we keep in the RV for various reasons and allows Carol or me to wipe the top of the slides.

Rain jackets/pants and umbrellas along with plenty of "old" towels are part of the inventory.....you just never know when the need arises for us or to help someone else out.

Also, don't forget to wipe under the slide lip edge bottom areas where water can be as well before retracting to keep this water off the floor.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely varies by circumstances, but inevitable to happen. Blower, broom, ladder are in the arsenal. One thing we do differently than Dan above is that I have a professional squeegee that I take the wetness off the slide-out walls with. The towel routine is ok if you have a W/D or are a weekend warrior, but cumbersome when on the road long durations. That's what made me switch over. It's handy too in that the telescoping pole is the same for my wash brushes and for the heads I use to apply WashWaxAll.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of the same as everyone else. Our telescoping wash brush works well for sweeping the slide tops. i have one of those harbor freight air guns with the very long tip, it works well for dragging along the gutters to clean them out even without air supply connected. As far as rain, the slides roofs are angled so water runs off pretty well and the seal wipers when putting in the slides do a little bit to squeegee off the slides, what little gets inside the RV we wipe up at our destination. Like was said we use towels to wipe up the water but we do not put the towels down on the floor and then move the slides, there is too much chance the towels will get caught in the slide floors and cause problems and slide jams. If you're trying to pack up in a down poor, there's not much you can do but maybe wait a little to see if the rain lets up. Eventually everyone will experience packing up in the rain.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-18-2021 at 09:18 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Definitely varies by circumstances, but inevitable to happen. Blower, broom, ladder are in the arsenal. One thing we do differently than Dan above is that I have a professional squeegee that I take the wetness off the slide-out walls with. The towel routine is ok if you have a W/D or are a weekend warrior, but cumbersome when on the road long durations. That's what made me switch over. It's handy too in that the telescoping pole is the same for my wash brushes and for the heads I use to apply WashWaxAll.
    Rob - thanks, for the squeegee idea......never thought about that for this situation. You are the "shell answer man" !

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies. Always good feedback on these forums.

I have to say that the squeegee idea is a really good one. We have one for the shower walls, but now need another one for the slide-out walls. Also, the three step step-stool is a good idea as well since the wife is only 5'-1" tall and the telescoping poll will be a must-have.

Again, great feedback, thanks.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhick120 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies. Always good feedback on these forums.

I have to say that the squeegee idea is a really good one. We have one for the shower walls, but now need another one for the slide-out walls. Also, the three step step-stool is a good idea as well since the wife is only 5'-1" tall and the telescoping poll will be a must-have.

Again, great feedback, thanks.
    The three step stool we have in the camper is one of these Cosco brand ones from Costco. They are on sale now too as I recall.

We have it open placed at the rear end of the center island where is pretty much out of the way. Also, since it is more narrow than the center island cabinetry, it does not make contact with the slides not requiring it to be moved. And it would take some serious situation to move with it effectively boxed in on all 4 sides.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150603_122815.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	34183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150603_122844.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	34184

Dan
    Dan & Carol