User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 22 MLE water leak

Bought subject trailer last October. Just discovered water leak. Not sure where it is coming from. Water stains on mattress and wooden frame underneath as well as mold starting to form. Additionally, puddle of water found in forward storage compartment. Under belly may be holding some water and sagging slightly. At this point, I honestly do not know the extent of damage, only time will tell. Will Grand Design stand tall for this? Repairs? Not sure about that. I think it should be replaced. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly, if it's a manufacturing defect, GD will stand behind it. If resulting from lack of necessary inspection and maintenance or from damage, that will be a different matter. Given your layout, I would suggest immediately looking at the seal of the front cap to the TPO roofing. RVs can have incredibly high condensation too that you might think to be a leak. Often encounter under mattress with mold and a mold covered bed deck. I take it though the top of your mattress is stained. Mold can be successfully treated, and the bed base and deck and mattress are easily replaced. Saying there's water in the storage and underbelly suggests a major leak though, and I'd gamble that cap seal and it not being inspected at purchase and before winterizing.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    Bought subject trailer last October. Just discovered water leak. Not sure where it is coming from. Water stains on mattress and wooden frame underneath as well as mold starting to form. Additionally, puddle of water found in forward storage compartment. Under belly may be holding some water and sagging slightly. At this point, I honestly do not know the extent of damage, only time will tell. Will Grand Design stand tall for this? Repairs? Not sure about that. I think it should be replaced. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
    I see this is your first post on here so welcome tomthe group. GD stands behind their products. Give your dealer a call or get GD to authorize a mobile tech. You will need to cover his service call fee but after that it should all be covered under warranty. Check your roof to ensure everything is properly seals, no cracks or missing sealant. It could very well be that it was stored very damp. As Geo mentioned, dampness is common between the mattress and frame in most RV. There's a special pad that you can add to prevent this. Water in the pass through can come from the roof, front cap that not sealed properly, slam door seals, maybe even your fresh water connection. I think it's premature to call it a right off requiring a complete replacement. If there is water in the underbelly then the coroplast will need to be dropped and the underbelly aerated. Start with getting it looked at. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate your response(s) and insight. Just to be clear...this is a water leak...copious amounts of rain water and nothing else. I know condensation. Dampness....really! C'mon guys....do you work for GD? Mattress soaked and stained, wooden bed base is essentially ruined. God only knows what the floor looks like. Mold. Again, water...not Dampness puddled in forward storage compartment and under belly slightly sagging. We get a lot of RAIN in the Tennessee valley. Nevertheless, I appreciate your input, just really frustrated here. A new RV should not do this. I have had numerous RV's for years with no leaks.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate your response(s) and insight. Just to be clear...this is a water leak...copious amounts of rain water and nothing else. I know condensation. Dampness....really! C'mon guys....do you work for GD? Mattress soaked and stained, wooden bed base is essentially ruined. God only knows what the floor looks like. Mold. Again, water...not Dampness puddled in forward storage compartment and under belly slightly sagging. We get a lot of RAIN in the Tennessee valley. Nevertheless, I appreciate your input, just really frustrated here. A new RV should not do this. I have had numerous RV's for years with no leaks.
    Considering you have not posted pictures, it's your first post on the forum, and there are copious completely-new-to-rving members joining every day with zero share of your experience prior, our guidance and questions more than fair. No-one here works for GD. If you want that, head over to the other forum or to the Facebook site where there is active participation. If you want sound advice from a very broad depth of experience and knowledge, this is a good place.

To have so much water infiltration, you have to have damage somewhere to the system of components that form the watertight envelope. I gave you my best guess for where you indicate you have found water. Check there. If you believe the unit is a loss, you should get your insurance involved right away.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "C'mon guys....do you work for GD?" Really but nope.
    Now we just went from a stain to soaked and puddles. You obviously have a water problem. Maybe the seriousness wasn't made clear at first. Regardless if it rains a lot, it shouldn't make it way in. Have you been on the roof to inspect? Have you inspected the front cap and silicone around the windows? Your tt is still under warranty. I strongly suggest calling your dealer and maybe also GD.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My apologies if I offended anyone. New to forum, not new to using an RV. I have had numerous. I have an appointment with Northgate RV, however; contacting Grand Design by phone has been a real problem. Letters (with photos) have been forwarded. In any event, what truly concerns me is collateral damage. Sure, they find and repair the point of entry for water, but what about the problems that will, without doubt surface later and the RV is out of warranty. I had only been in my RV a hand full of times since December 2020, when I last used it. We have received record rainfall in winter (2020) and spring of this year. This causes me some heart burn. Thank you, I meant no disrespect.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understandable how frustrating it can be when a new tow that expensive doesn't go as planned. I can also understand why you would be worried for long term affects. There's nothing worse then water. While your waiting for your appointment, I'd go up on the roof and look for a cause. It might not be that bad. If its not that bad, I'd lower the front end of the underbelly and check. But document all of this if you go ahead. I've heard that the best time to call GD is first thing in the morning. When I emailed them last year, they responded within 24hrs.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also had luck contacting them both in the morning and the afternoon. They likely want a tech to look at it and tell them the extent of the issue, and cause, before they’ll have much to tell you though.. One of the oft neglected keys to rv purchase that you may already be aware of is that the service department is more important than the sales department. They should be able to find the leak, properly diagnose and fix it, then trace all intrusion and repair/replace/mitigate as necessary. It CAN be done. Just need a technician that WILL do it right. Your description makes it sound like there is not a de-lamination issue, which IMO is one of the toughest things to fix.

In the meantime, best thing you could do is identify the leak. A big one should be easy.

Post pictures on here. People get offended if you say this when they complain, but ‘pics or it didn’t happen’ is common when people buy something new. We want to see so we can help!
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 05-18-2021 at 03:32 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke with a Regional Service Manager at Grand Design. No empathy. I have inspected the roof. I do not necessarily have a "trained eye". I hope the pictures are attached now. Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0942.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	35409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	35410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	35411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	35412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0943.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	35413
    Last edited by Dooley; 07-12-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast