Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Diesel - What do I Need to Know?

Hi all - the Mrs and I just pulled the trigger on a new Ram 2500 diesel. I’ve never owned a diesel truck before, so time to get educated!

What do I need to know?

Look forward to the discussion!

Best wishes,
    -Sam
    Sam & Kay, 2 kiddos and the dog (rescue pup - lab mix)
    2021 RAM 2500 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
    2020 Grand Design Transcend 243BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2018 Ram 2500, Laramie Tungsten Edition.

1. Learn the engine brake controls and use. YouTube is a great resource.

2. Change fuel filters on time. My truck tells me when.

3. Don't expect the cabin heater to be instant. Takes some time to heat up. Diesels warm slowly.

4. Make sure to use the GREEN house at fill up. Don't laugh, common mistake for newbies. If you do, DO NOT START THE ENGINE. Have it towed and drained.

5. Enjoy the power, longevity and sweet sound of that Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2021 GD 344GK-R
    PullRite Super 5th 24K
    2006 & 2018 Ram 2500, 5.9 Cummins Diesel
    Wife: Canadian

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Dugoutnut;370121]
    4. Make sure to use the GREEN hose at fill up. /QUOTE]

EXCEPT AT A BP STATION!!! Their gasoline hoses are green at most of their stations. I refuse to stop at a BP station for just this one reason. My brain is old enough. It doesn’t need any help to get confused.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugoutnut View Post
    2018 Ram 2500, Laramie Tungsten Edition.

1. Learn the engine brake controls and use. YouTube is a great resource.

2. Change fuel filters on time. My truck tells me when.

3. Don't expect the cabin heater to be instant. Takes some time to heat up. Diesels warm slowly.

4. Make sure to use the GREEN house at fill up. Don't laugh, common mistake for newbies. If you do, DO NOT START THE ENGINE. Have it towed and drained.

5. Enjoy the power, longevity and sweet sound of that Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    We found in some states there All green, and others there yellow. Always double check you activate the diesel hose.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the great information! I love the breadth of experience and knowledge you all provide, and with just enough brand bias to keep it fun

And, here is the update:
    2021 RAM 2500, paid dealer invoice (yes, deals can still be had), Big Horn, tech pkg w/ surround and trailer cameras & plenty of other fixins! I was originally looking for a Laramie as it is closest to the Lariat I had in the F150, but it came down to the only significant difference between the trims being leather and cooled front seats. I can live without butt coolers for the $$ it saved me to get Big Horn + the options I wanted.

Plus, I was told "I really like 'ninja mode'." Well, DW, Ninja Mode it is

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210521_175547226_iOS (2).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	34339

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. You'll really like that truck.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyB View Post
    Thank you all for the great information! I love the breadth of experience and knowledge you all provide, and with just enough brand bias to keep it fun

And, here is the update:
    2021 RAM 2500, paid dealer invoice (yes, deals can still be had), Big Horn, tech pkg w/ surround and trailer cameras & plenty of other fixins! I was originally looking for a Laramie as it is closest to the Lariat I had in the F150, but it came down to the only significant difference between the trims being leather and cooled front seats. I can live without butt coolers for the $$ it saved me to get Big Horn + the options I wanted.

Plus, I was told "I really like 'ninja mode'." Well, DW, Ninja Mode it is

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210521_175547226_iOS (2).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	34339
    What’s the max fifth wheel tow weight from your Ram 2500 diesel (is it turbo with DWR & 4x4)?

Congratulations, very new & nice!!

I’m needing used Laramie, woof roof lol! & fifth wheel/gooseneck. Thought RAM 3500 DWR turbo 6.7L & 4x4 are needed to tow most fifth wheel toy haulers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDWDSGNS View Post
    What’s the max fifth wheel tow weight from your Ram 2500 diesel (is it turbo with DWR & 4x4)? ....
    Mine is SRW, but yes with turbo and 4x4.

Limits per the stickers:
    - CCC: 2,113 lbs
    - GVW: 10,000 lbs
    - Front GAWR: 6,000 lbs
    - Rear GAWR: 6,040 lbs

Cheers,
    -Sam

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sam, Have had Ram Cummins diesels for a long time. These days in any newer diesel engine its not just the diesel fuel, now its the DEF as well. Just use good quality diesel fuel (bio and or efficient diesel)(check your owners manual) from reputable stations. Mom & Pop's broken down diesel fuel pumps may not be the best for fills ups. Diesel fuel pump handles are mostly green but i have also seen yellow pump handles. Get it in your mind diesel, diesel, diesel. I have known people that put gas in the diesel tank, it will be a very expensive lesson.

Always use good quality DEF, again from reputable sources, and check that the seal on the jug/box has not been broken or is missing or if the jug has a lot of dust on it, that means its been setting around for a long time. DEF has a short shelf life. Search the web for how to decode the date on the DEF jugs/boxes. If running in very cold temperatures 10* or below consider using a diesel fuel antigel additive. Most stations up north change over to winterized diesel or #1 diesel sometime around Oct but if it gets really really cold, add some antigel when filling up. I always use Power Service brand products they are OKed by Cummins.

Remember diesel engines hate dirt so keep the fuel filters changed (2) at the recommended intervals, also the oil filter. use good quality oil usually full synthetic is recommended most likely you'll run with 15W40. Read your manual. I use only MOPAR Cummins filters and Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic oil. Read your owners manual for what to do if the "Water in Fuel" light comes on. I could tell you but you will remember better if you read up on it in your owners manual. Do not ever run a diesel engine out of fuel. Diesel fuel is what helps keep the fuel pumps cool. The newer diesel engines are self purging of air if they are run out of fuel, but it can be a pain to get them restarted. Also diesel engines do not like to run for short trips to the store and back, they need to come up to temp and run a while to keep the emission systems running cleaner and more clog free.

Just my first thoughts.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-17-2021 at 10:58 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup...enjoy the engine brake in the mountains....gobs of torque and power.....diesels have to be moving to warm up. Get yourself a TDS/Open Roads discount card.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast