User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tapping noise inside interior wall

Our 2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE has an annoying Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap noise that happens whenever the house rocks slightly side-to-side.
    Even with four jacks down solidly, walking around inside or just moving slightly makes it happen. (I am sitting as I write this and I just leaned quickly to one side and back: Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap...)

The sound seems to come from inside the wall between the bathroom and the living area, near the exterior wall.

I suspect there is an unsecured wire in the wall — there’s a duplex plug near the floor.

My next thought is to open the plug (after disconnecting power!) and see if I can find anything loose.
    Before I try that, I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone has another solution.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sure it's not the pull string on one of the shades? For us they are little wooden knobs and they will occasionally tap, tap, tap on the walls if we don't slide them off to one end.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finz04 View Post
    You sure it's not the pull string on one of the shades? For us they are little wooden knobs and they will occasionally tap, tap, tap on the walls if we don't slide them off to one end.
    Thanks, but I wish it was that easy...

We don’t have pull strings — just have to grab the bottom of the shade. The shades do tap sometimes, but this is almost definitely inside the wall..

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure it's not the flapper in the microwave vent?
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Sure it's not the flapper in the microwave vent?
    Yes - ours taps rhythmically whenever the washing machine is in the spin cycle (less rhythmically when it's caused by wind/pressure changes).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just opened the duplex outlet near the floor in the wall where the tapping sounds are most obvious. I’m 99 & 44/100ths percent sure the power wire leading upwards from it is not attached for several feet, which allows it swing back and forth inside the wall when the trailer rocks.
    When I pull (gently) on the duplex and tighten the wire, there’s no tapping sound.
    The only way I can think of to keep the wire from swinging — short of pulling the wall apart — is to apply some spray foam.
    I’ll let you know how that works...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    silicone caulk might also work and be less messy.. use tape to hold it until the caulk cures.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll have another look at the possibility of using silicone caulk. But the duplex outlet is on a wall with less than a foot clearance from the slide and dinette seat — it’s a very awkward place to reach.
    The opening is only about 2-1/2 x 3-1/2 inches.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelsondewey View Post
    I just opened the duplex outlet near the floor in the wall where the tapping sounds are most obvious. I’m 99 & 44/100ths percent sure the power wire leading upwards from it is not attached for several feet, which allows it swing back and forth inside the wall when the trailer rocks.
    When I pull (gently) on the duplex and tighten the wire, there’s no tapping sound.
    The only way I can think of to keep the wire from swinging — short of pulling the wall apart — is to apply some spray foam.
    I’ll let you know how that works...
    I would get some bat fiberglass insulation and use a wire to push it up the wall. Spray foam as it expands can cause damage.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Powerscol that’s a good idea. But I’d already used the foam… very carefully and sparingly.
    Seems to have been a success!

Thanks to you all for your suggestions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast