User Tag List

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Open access from living area to basement

I have a new 2021 Solitude 310GK. I just added an access point in the basement for the pump and converter area.
    I was very surprised to be able to look right into the living area from the basement through an opening under the stairs, and another under the buffet (above the kickboard).
    Is this a design flaw that everyone has or did GD just fail to close that area up in my unit.

I am interested in blocking off mouse access points.

The attached pictures were taken lying on the floor in the living area looking back under the stairs and hutch into the basement.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210518_121435018.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	34203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210518_121350618.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	34204

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Is this a design flaw that everyone has or did GD just fail to close that area up in my unit.
    I don't think it's either one. I've read many posts on the forum saying the furnace needs return air and that's why there are openings but there are so many openings that IMO dedicated return air spaces aren't necessary.

You may also find openings at the floor of the pantry and gaps under the bathroom and kitchen sinks where the plumbing enters. There are so many openings in RV's there is no way you can prevent mice from getting in. I don't even bother trying. Instead, when we have our RV in storage, I just set mouse traps knowing those will take care of the mice WHEN they get in.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @bertschb said, those openings are for air return to the furnace. Some folks have used hardware cloth to keep their cats from getting in the basement.

As for mice and other critters, if they've gotten into the basement in the first place, you have issues with your outer perimeter. If the underbelly is sealed well all the way around and the basement doors close and seal well, you shouldn't have any issues. Some folks will use some stainless steel wool around the port where the water hose comes into the convenience center, but in almost six years of full-timing, we've not had any issues with anything larger than ants (and Miller moths when we made the mistake of being in Colorado during the annual migration - but there's no escaping them!).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should lower your spare tire and see the hack job done to the coroplast where the metal cable comes down. That is a huge access point for mice. I use black gorilla duct tape to make the hole as small as possible, seems to work well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    You should lower your spare tire and see the hack job done to the coroplast where the metal cable comes down. That is a huge access point for mice. I use black gorilla duct tape to make the hole as small as possible, seems to work well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yes!!! I actually used a 4" holesaw and cut two pieces of 80mil high density polyethylene sheet I had, put a slit to the mandrel hole in each, and then sandwiched around the cable with one above and one below the coroplas, slits rotated opposite one another, and secured by thru-screws. Big X cut and hole now just 3/16" diameter to pass the cable.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new 2021 Solitude 310GK. I just added an access point in the basement for the pump and converter area.
    I was very surprised to be able to look right into the living area from the basement through an opening under the stairs, and another under the buffet (above the kickboard).

The attached pictures were taken lying on the floor in the living area looking back under the stairs and hutch into the basement.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210518_121435018.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	34203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210518_121350618.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	34204

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    It's the same thing as our solitude 380FL. We ended up buying a piece of air conditioning filter and from the back side where the water pump and inverter are closed yet still allow return air for the heat heater and the heat from the inverter to go. The inverter will end up blowing a lot of hot air into the trailer during the summer months we found out. Also while your down their doing the work you should replace the plastic check valve coming off of the water heater. Driving down the road ours must have cracked and when we got to one of the campsites and hooked up water we found out that it had flooded that lower basement compartment. We ended up buying a brass check valve for about 8 or $9. I don't know why grand design used a plastic one then hangs a water hose off the end of it horizontally. These things are not meant to hold up weight and hitting potholes while driving down the road.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk