User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stinky Faucet Water

The bathroom sink faucet puts out a disgusting water odor. After it runs awhile, it clears. No other water faucet does the same. I cleaned the faucet dispenser with bleach but to no avail. The odor mimics the odor of the bathroom gray tank discharge when dumping.

Suggestions will be appreciated.
    2019 F350 DRW, Crew Cab, Long bed,
    B&W Companion Hitch w/puck system
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you sterilized the entirety of the freshwater system including any unused runs (like for washer and dishwasher connection)? Does the odor come with hot side, cold side or both?
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not sterilized system. Wouldn’t all the faucets have the smells? And why would it clear?
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvlife View Post
    Have not sterilized system. Wouldn’t all the faucets have the smells? And why would it clear?
    Need to sterilize the system, including the dead legs. That stagnant water will bleed in, which is likely what you are experiencing with the clearing with some flow. Anytime you get tap odor in an RV freshwater system, sterilizing is the first order of business/troubleshooting.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, what they both said. I just de-winterized mine last weekend. It doesn't take long.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Need to sterilize the system, including the dead legs. That stagnant water will bleed in, which is likely what you are experiencing with the clearing with some flow. Anytime you get tap odor in an RV freshwater system, sterilizing is the first order of business/troubleshooting.
    Dead legs??
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvlife View Post
    Dead legs??
    lol..... ok, so after picking myself up from the floor for laughing so hard about all the things one could say about "dead legs", here is a serious answer.

A "dead leg" in the case of the water pipes in an RV would be a leg that would run to the location where you would install a washing machine. In the case of the 310GK the "dead leg" (still laughing a bit) is the run from the basement area up to the faucets GD so graciously installed in a bad place for a washer install. The other posts are suggesting you flush out that run; maybe use a bucket to run the water into or connect a hose or 2 (for both hot and cold sides).

ok - now on the to "dead leg" jokes..... anyone want to start? Mine probably can't be repeated..... well, maybe the one about how my legs feel after a long hike.... or from sitting too long in front of my computer staring at silly videos....
    Last edited by traveldawg; 05-18-2021 at 07:46 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be a stuck vent right under that bathroom sink too. Or not stuck, but just a stinky grey tank venting as you add water to it. However, I’m also leaning toward water lines with your description.

I would disinfect the water lines first if you haven’t already. Instructions in the owners manual and on here. Then if you aren’t already, putting some stuff in the grey tank (we use camco lemon scent grey water tst) helps. Different stuff but same idea for the black tank at the end of trips.

Again, other posts about water lines likely correct and where I would start.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 05-18-2021 at 07:47 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other area that can cause water to stink is the Water Heater (smells like rotten eggs). What happens is you get scale build up inside the Water Heater from hard water and the chemicals combine to give you that rotten egg smell.

You will need to flush out the Water Heater and treat it with Vinegar to help remove the scale build up.

FYI: you can find plenty of instructional videos on cleaning out your RV Water Heater on YouTube.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don’t have a washer installed, my money is on the washer cold and hot water connections. You can connect a hose to those and run to a bucket or the shower or even out the door (depending on where you are) in order to flush them. Just don’t open the washer connection valves when under pressure without a hose connected. Don’t ask me how I know.

If that does prove to be the source, you can install in line shut-offs in the basement to reduce the length of the “dead leg”. Sorry, Larry.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast