Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek slide problem

We were getting ready for a trip next weekend and was cleaning up the trailer. I started to run the slide in to take it out of my building and the right side would not move. The box was flashing a 8 code for a short between the Can can and the slide. I fooled with it for a while and pulled the seal back at the motor, ran my fingers in where I could see the wires going into the motor and moved them some and the slide worked again. My question is, first how does the wiring connect to the motor, via wiring harness or straight wired? Second if it is a harness, is is possible it stopped because of a little corrosion or dirty plug or is it more likely I really do have a short? I have had the trailer about 10 months and made about 5 trips in it with no problems. After wiggling the wires I ran it in and out before and after pulling the trailer out and washing it and pulling it back in and it worked fine? But, I don't want to get to the camp ground and have a dead motor! I know it will be just speculation about what it might be, but thought someone else may have had this happen. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope someone has some ideas that may help.
    In the mean time there is this. https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek slide problem

It sounds like a loose connection. Unfortunately to properly diagnose, you need to isolate the bad connection point. The only way to do that is to trace the wires and test each segment with known good. I would start with your own external 12v source and bypass each segment of wire between the switch and the motor. One thing you can do is verify the bolts that keep the electric motor from twisting is tight. You could also check the position of the wires to the motor, they may be rubbing as the slide moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    We were getting ready for a trip next weekend and was cleaning up the trailer. I started to run the slide in to take it out of my building and the right side would not move. The box was flashing a 8 code for a short between the Can can and the slide. I fooled with it for a while and pulled the seal back at the motor, ran my fingers in where I could see the wires going into the motor and moved them some and the slide worked again. My question is, first how does the wiring connect to the motor, via wiring harness or straight wired? Second if it is a harness, is is possible it stopped because of a little corrosion or dirty plug or is it more likely I really do have a short? I have had the trailer about 10 months and made about 5 trips in it with no problems. After wiggling the wires I ran it in and out before and after pulling the trailer out and washing it and pulling it back in and it worked fine? But, I don't want to get to the camp ground and have a dead motor! I know it will be just speculation about what it might be, but thought someone else may have had this happen. Thanks!
    Not the silver bullet you want to hear but some troubleshooting ideas that will get you closer. Start with the easy stuff first. Check the wire connections at the controller to see they are seated and tight. The Schwintek motor, which is easily found by web search has a quick connect plug on it. Find it and make sure it is seated completely. I would first try to pull apart the connectors to see if that was the cause, then you would know for sure. Push the connector halves together making sure they seat then try to operate the slide.
    Pinched and shorted wires in these slides are not uncommon. Most likely a short would cause a fuse to go open and power couldn't be restored until you replace it and most likely it would fail again. A broken wire is another matter. Do a visual check of as much as you can access to inspect for cable damage. The wire pair is jacketed so look for anything that may have been pinched or rubbed, seeing an actual broken wire could be difficult. You may feel it by flexing the wires in the jacket.
    Next time it happens lift the wires at the controller so there is no voltage on them. With a meter read OHMS across the wires. You should read the relatively low resistance of the motor windings. If it is infinite (open) or very high resistance there probably is a broken wire.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-24-2021 at 06:08 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    Here is how an RV tech troubleshoots a similar problem. Hope it helps. Frank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxEYSstvICI
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I hope someone has some ideas that may help.
    In the mean time there is this. https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out
    Thanks for the link, I bookmarked it for reference.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Not the silver bullet you want to hear but some troubleshooting ideas that will get you closer. Start with the easy stuff first. Check the wire connections at the controller to see they are seated and tight. The Schwintek motor, which is easily found by web search has a quick connect plug on it. Find it and make sure it is seated completely. I would first try to pull apart the connectors to see if that was the cause, then you would know for sure. Push the connector halves together making sure they seat then try to operate the slide.
    Pinched and shorted wires in these slides are not uncommon. Most likely a short would cause a fuse to go open and power couldn't be restored until you replace it and most likely it would fail again. A broken wire is another matter. Do a visual check of as much as you can access to inspect for cable damage. The wire pair is jacketed so look for anything that may have been pinched or rubbed, seeing an actual broken wire could be difficult. You may feel it by flexing the wires in the jacket.
    Next time it happens lift the wires at the controller so there is no voltage on them. With a meter read OHMS across the wires. You should read the relatively low resistance of the motor windings. If it is infinite (open) or very high resistance there probably is a broken wire.
    Thanks for the advice. Since it is still in warranty I will probably hope I make it through this trip and get it checked out when I get home. Just in case, I am going to cut some 2x4 blocks to block the slide in the event it stops and the only way to get it home is disconnect and manually slide it in.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Here is how an RV tech troubleshoots a similar problem. Hope it helps. Frank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxEYSstvICI
    Thanks for the link to the video! This is exactly what mine did, even the same motor. I am hoping mine was just a loose connection and it corrected when I wiggled the wire, but that is probably not going to be my luck! If it keeps working I will probably go on this trip and get it checked out before it goes out of warranty in about a month and a half. The video was very detailed and seems to be what mine did, maybe wires got pinched or connector was not making connection good? He said in video that was more likely than motor or controller. At least now I understand how they are wired and constructed a little better!