User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Steve and Lynne

Alignment/Axle Beam problem on Reflection

SUDDENLY, we have an extreme out of alignment problem on our rear axle beam. We spent the last two plus months in Texas enjoying the huge variety of places and scenery from Amarillo to Corpus Christi, with a lot of time spent in the Dallas area. This included Atwood furnace repairs, Schwintek slide repairs, and replacement of our Atwood refrigerator for ammonia refrigerant leakage.
    Now we are workamping in Pagosa Springs, Colorado at a beautiful small park. Upon leaving the Denver area Monday, as I was checking the tires, I found steel cord on the inside edge of the right rear. Also the left rear has drastic inside edge wear, both have a feathering wear indicating severe toe out (fronts of tires pointing out). The wear prior to this was even and the OE tires had very decent tread with 12000-1500 miles on them. I crawled underneath expecting to see evidence of an impact to the axle beam, although I know I hadn't hit anything. Nothing found. I sent an email to Grand Design, knowing it will be sent to Lippert. I am willing to change the beam myself if that would work, looking forward to the response. Stay tuned, and I suggest getting your head down close to the ground to see your tires! I spent many years with Hunter Engineering, manufacturer of alignment systems, so I know my way around this stuff.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

Following this closely . . . want to know what you learn.
    Hunter are the "go to guys" for anything alignment related !
    Thanks for posting.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Reflection has an alignment system built into it.

You should have the Correct Track system on the shackle hangers, which are there for alignment.

Maybe one came loose or moved, if you "suddenly" have an issue.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Steve and Lynne
    Appreciate the input and concern. The Correct Track system will move the axle forward or back on each side depending on its relationship in distance from the other axle, so that all 4 tires are tracking in the same paths/tracks. The Correct Track octagons are all still in their original zero change positions. I have measured (crudely) the distance from front to rear tires on both sides, it is pretty identical, indicating that Correct Track is correct (pardon the pun). There is NO indication of any axle contact with anything. The tires on the affected axle are both equally worn badly on the inside and have feathered edges pointed outside, indicating toe-out rather than the ideal zero toe. Dean from Grand Design has responded by email and given me the pictures Lippert needs to address the possibility of warranty on this axle beam. As Rob says, Hunter is the industry leader in alignment technology and equipment, and I would love to find a shop that has equipment to accurately measure the alignment angles on our Reflection, but it may be a challenge to locate one close to Pagosa Springs, CO. Going to the hunter website now. I called on a great shop in Colorado Springs- about 6 hours away!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

Since indication is equal toe out on both sides, can you measure rim to rim on the forward and aft sides of the axle ? I have done this in the past, with a telescoping rod, taped or locked at a snug fit on one side and then checked against the other.

Rob

Edit: This could be camber too . . . but you are going to need an alignment machine to check that.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Steve and Lynne
    Update on our alignment issue. With continued correspondence with Dean Brovont of GD he has committed that GD/Lippert will replace both axle beams (springs included) and also supply tires. I have visited with Tarpley RV in Durango, CO (about 60 miles from our campground), very impressive Grand Design and SOBs dealer, and they will do the axle change as well as other minor warranty items. They are about two weeks out on scheduling which is fine because we are sitting still. They believe it will take most of a week to get this done, and strongly recommend Gene's Frame and Alignment in Farmington, NM as the place where we need to go to get alignment checked and reset as needed. I very much appreciate Grand Design stepping up to resolve our problem, and will update when work is all done! I did do a crude alignment check similar to what Rob suggested and came up with about 1" of toe out on the rear axle, 0" toe on the front. That much toe out, no wonder the tires are smoked!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

Great that GD/Lippert are stepping up to replace the axles, suspension and tires!
    Can you see any cause for this situation? An inch of toe out! should be a bent axle or hub, visible to the naked eye.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Steve and Lynne
    Rob,
    Totally agree that there should be something obvious and I do agree there should be something obvious, but there is not! What is more puzzling is that for over 10,000 fifth wheel miles the tire wear was very even and our plan was to figure on tire replacement about a year from now, because the tread depth gauge was showing 25-30% tread wear at most. If you PM me I will be glad to share the emailed pictures I sent to Dean at Grand Design, who has been a real stand-up fellow through this and other warranty situations we have dealt with! It sounds like, from your messages on this and other subjects, you have an in-depth understanding of all vehicles.

Steve and Lynne
    And I am the President of the Department Of Redundancy Department!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The obviously obvious problems are the toughest ones to solve .
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast