User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PEX question

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly think you can get by with the two handed version, but in some cases it will involve the use of a lot of choice words and possibly wasting a few cinch rings. It's hard to say for sure, in my 399, there were a few spots where that one handed version was a huge help, and there were other areas that it didnt really matter. The one I showed above is a ratchet version and it allows you to lock everything in place with one hand and the PEX wont slip off the fitting, then you use two hands to make the final crimp. I think my two handed version is ratcheting as well, but you still need two hands to set everything in place or it will slip apart.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Couple things to note. PEX can be crimped and it can be cinched. Crimp rings come in two varieties. Cinch rings are all the same functionally, but beware there are some proprietary ones where the cinch head only fits the matching cinch tool. Cinch style is perfectly fine IMO/IME for an RV. Code often requires crimp is brick and mortar applications. If you get a one-handed tool, make sure it's a good one with ratchet-lock handle. There are a few tricks to making perfect crimps and cinches that you will learn with a little experience. Do yourself the service and buy a quality ranching tube cutter as well as the quality of the cut is directly influential to the competency of the connection. Once you have the tool and rings, having a travel kit for the camper a must with some splices, elbows, tees, and caps. Our house is PEX as well so it's actually convenient to have my kit in the rig making it a quick find for home repairs.
    Geotex1, can you recommend a tool for the crimping?

I’ve never worked with PEX but have that in our house now and Imagine trailer so I need to get set up for it.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Joe and Sheryl Fabrygel

2018 Imagine 2015RB - "Let the good times roll"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EncoreJoe View Post
    Geotex1, can you recommend a tool for the crimping?

I’ve never worked with PEX but have that in our house now and Imagine trailer so I need to get set up for it.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    For crimps, I like the Viega and IWISS tools and copper crimp rings.

For cinch, my favorite tool by Zurn is no longer made, but I really like the one-handed ratcheting, right-angle IWISS tool. Effortless to work in the most contorted positions!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    The cinch clamps would be fine for me. Looks like that is what GD uses. I have no PEX in my house, so would only be used for RV. Being that I would seldom use it, could I get by with the cheaper two handed model? How much effort do the two handed models require to make the cinch?

There are some cheaper one handed models on Amazon, but don't know how long they would last.
    The effort is low as the mechanical advantage is high. It's the handle splay that makes tight confines tough. If you don't want to spend for an IWISS, the rebranded Zurn designs that are Sharkbite models in Home Depot work fine as do the Apollo models sold in Lowes and Ace. With these, if you don't keep proper jaw to cinch head alignment, you can get a bum crimp or broken ring. Cheap enough to try again though.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    For crimps, I like the Viega and IWISS tools and copper crimp rings.

For cinch, my favorite tool by Zurn is no longer made, but I really like the one-handed ratcheting, right-angle IWISS tool. Effortless to work in the most contorted positions!
    Is this the IWISS tool you are reffering to:

https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Rachet-...76763273&psc=1

There sure seems to be a lot more crimp tools available than cinch tools. Is crimping used that more frequently?
    Last edited by dryfly; 05-20-2021 at 07:55 AM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the IWISS tool you are reffering to:

https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Rachet-...76763273&psc=1

There sure seems to be a lot more crimp tools available than cinch tools. Is crimping used that more frequently?
    Yes, that is the one.

You see more crimp because Code requires their use in many places, almost exclusively in commercial-industrial. PEX is used for more than potable water delivery, and the type of connection bear different pressure ratings as well.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion...
    I’m a remodeler that works with pex all the time.
    Sharkbite fittings (Sharkbite brand, not off brands) are great for repairs but are not cost effective and as someone else mentioned they are heavy. None of us wants added weight in our rigs.
    I would suggest you stay away from crimp rings. If you use a crimper for any length of time or happen to drop it, you’ll have to mess with recalibration. And I’ve personally seen crimp ring fitting start to leak if the tool is not calibrated.
    Use expanding rings, fittings and Pex A. Super easy, I have never seen a fitting fail or leak. The only downsize is the cost of the tool. However if you do buy one (about $400), you’ll see it pays for itself because of ease of use. If you don't want to buy it, check around tool rental places near you. Most larger rental companies have them to rent.
    Side note for your rig... always keep a section of pex and a few shark bites on hand for that unexpected problem.
    2017 Solitude 379 FLS
    2017 Ford F350 SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by safron View Post
    My opinion...
    I’m a remodeler that works with pex all the time.
    Sharkbite fittings (Sharkbite brand, not off brands) are great for repairs but are not cost effective and as someone else mentioned they are heavy. None of us wants added weight in our rigs.
    I would suggest you stay away from crimp rings. If you use a crimper for any length of time or happen to drop it, you’ll have to mess with recalibration. And I’ve personally seen crimp ring fitting start to leak if the tool is not calibrated.
    Use expanding rings, fittings and Pex A. Super easy, I have never seen a fitting fail or leak. The only downsize is the cost of the tool. However if you do buy one (about $400), you’ll see it pays for itself because of ease of use. If you don't want to buy it, check around tool rental places near you. Most larger rental companies have them to rent.
    Side note for your rig... always keep a section of pex and a few shark bites on hand for that unexpected problem.
    I agree, the expansion system is nice. When we built our house I decided to do all PEX and bought the Milwaukee cordless expansion tool. I didn't have a single leak even though I had never done PEX before.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need some advice. I've been fortunate that my 2 year old Reflection has no plumbing leaks. After reading all the posts on the leaks at the PEX fittings and flexible tubing junctions, I'm sure it is a matter of time.

I know one option is to use SharkBite fittings. However, it looks like from a cost standpoint getting the crimp tool and crimp rings may be a lot more economical. What is the best option???

There are good prices on the tools on Amazon, but I'm sure this is a "get what you pay for" deal. But, if they work, and you are not using them everyday, they may suffice. Kinda like Harbor Freight stuff.
    I keep this one in my RV along with a few packs of cinch rings and some fittings. It's one handed, ratchets, and has an LED indicator light that shows your are crimped. It's small and compact and gets in tight areas. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-3...010C/301921125

My next little mod to the RV I'll use it to extend my low point hot and cold drain lines out to the edge of the frame and put 1/4 turn drain valve on each line. I made up this bracket below out of some aluminum strut and angle. The valves are from Home Depot along with the tool and fittings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210523_161933.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	34392

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210523_162019.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	34393
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 05-26-2021 at 07:49 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had several water leaks in my new Reflection 31MB at the PEX connections behind the control panel. My solution was installing automotive high pressure EFI hose clamps. They are inexpensive and can be found at most auto parts stores and when tightened, they tightly seal all the way around the hose and stopped all of my leaks from the PEX connections. Rather than remove the crimped PEX clamp (which is a pain) I simply added the EFI clamp next the the PEX clamp. There was plenty of the fitting length to add the clamps. This might not be the expert way of fixing these leaks but it worked for me and was easy to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast