User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PEX question

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the process of eliminating all of my flex hose to PEX connection fittings and as much of the flex line as I can. I had about a dozen leaks last fall where the flex line was connected to PEX fittings so it's all being replaced. In the areas where it made sense to leave the flex hose I came up with an adapter system to transition from flex to PEX. I uses a 1/2" X 1/2" PB Polybutylene Adapter and two 18.5mm Oetiker cinch clamps. Assemble the adapter as shown in the photo and you will have a completely watertight connection. I have tested it to 75 psi of water pressure. The 18.5mm Oetiker cinch clamps are available from eBay in bags of 50 or 100.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flex to PEX Adapter.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	34412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flex to PEX Adapter.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	34412

Name:	PB Adapter.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	34411
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also complete changed my Nautilus P1 control panel to PEX. This is how the P1 manufacture said to do it. It took about 3 hours to do the change the panel from flex hose to PEX. The before and after photos are shown below.

Name:	P1 Before.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	34416

Name:	P1 After.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	34417
    Kevin and Jennifer

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pex B has been a choice as well. Doing small repairs with the shark bite is a great fix it. A few of my friends have upgraded to PEX B. It’s more of a solid line and the joints are welded. Like anything there are pros and cons. I am currently mapping out my areas that are harder to reach that are under the enclosure. (Putting in a passive air system for winter belly heat. Which is another story, so I figured why not have it swapped while I’m down there.
    Andrew
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 29RS
    2018 Ram 3500 6.7L
    18k Demco Autoslide Hitch.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally gave up on the plastic T's and Elbows, I had leak issues from the first week. Yesterday, I cut out all of the plastic fittings and with a couple pieces of PEX-B to rebuild, I did it.

WOW, the brass fittings are so much better. Still using the crimp style connectors, but now none of them can turn on the fitting once crimped. I could never get the crimp to be tight enough on the plastic fittings.

Running with better than average pressure for a couple of days ( around 70psi) to test the fittings, then I will dial it back. I think this is solved.

Another note: Not at the Nautilus, but in the basement, I had a "manifold" where all the lines came together, this is where my leaks were. That "manifold" section was right up against the heating duct, it was so hot that even the cold water would be hot when the furnace was running. I tried to slip some insulation between the pipes and ductwork, but it was very tight. In my re-build of this manifold system, I was able to shorten the low water drain pipes and get all of the water lines away from the ductwork. I think this contributed to the leaks and you could smell the PEX getting hot! I have a feeling this was a manufacturing defect and was not intended. Take a look around in your basement, you might see things that can be avoided.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the current project too. Just returned from Home Depot with brass ells, tees, valves, and cups to use and have some spares for the future. One thing at a time though, first address piping behind the drawers/behind the storage wall panel... then later the back of the valve station. I have the Apollo One Hand crimper but will still make a "manifold" to install though.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 06-02-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    295RL & 2X4 F250 XL Ext Cab LB w/3880 CCC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have not had any leaks in our 2015 Reflection 323BHS, except the fresh water inlet fitting (the brass one you screw the hose into).
    But I do carry a few T fittings, a few splice fittings, a few PEX plugs (to plug off a line), a piece of PEX pipe, and the clamps for PEX along with the crimps and a cutter - just in case.
    Everyone told me the Kantleak system was going to leak as sure as taxes too, so I went ahead and pre-bought a new cartridge for it back in 2016. That is still sitting in the sealed bag it came in next to my plumbing "spares" Maybe we've been extraordinarily lucky - the last 3 campers we've owned over 15 years have only ever had one leak and that was my fault. When we moved from Florida to North Carolina I'd forgotten about deep freezes and the ice blew out a PEX elbow.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess my FW was plumbed late on a Friday afternoon. I now carry enough PEX pipe, fittings, tools and spare parts to replumb another Reflection FW. I did what the factory should have from the beginning. Keep an eye on every one of the flex hose to PEX connections as they were never designed to go together. Every one has a strong potential to leak. Mine are all gone now so I won't have to waste anymore vacation days chasing leaks and driving 90 miles to a Home Depot for parts to fix it.
    Kevin and Jennifer

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    …..
    Everyone told me the Kantleak system was going to leak as sure as taxes too, so I went ahead and pre-bought a new cartridge for it back in 2016. That is still sitting in the sealed bag it came in next to my plumbing "spares" …..
    Hold onto that spare cartridge as it’s now gained in value as Anderson discontinued manufacturing them. One now has to buy an entirely new water panel at $200+.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Hold onto that spare cartridge as it’s now gained in value as Anderson discontinued manufacturing them. One now has to buy an entirely new water panel at $200+.

Thanks to all for all the pex info. And to those who need nautilus valves/cartridges, go to B&B Molders, they manufacture the valves, and sell retail via phone.

http://www.bandbmolders.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123