User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying a Used RV

There are endless posts here regarding buying and picking up a new RV from the dealer, as well as numerous PDI checklists. My position is that I am hoping to purchase a 4 year old Solitude this weekend. There will obviously be things that need to be addressed as the unit has some years on it, but I'm pretty sure that the 70+ year old that I hope to buy it from will not be interested in aligning a drawer, fixing loose trim or resealing a roof penetration. What I need to know is what are acceptable things that I should be willing to address myself after the sale and what issues should make we walk away from the unit. Before anyone answers "Have it inspected by a reputable inspector", I've looked into them and all of them in the area are booked multiple weeks out. (Thank you COVID-19). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW CC Short Bed, Power Stroke 6.7L
    Pullrite Superglide 16k

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That all depends on your skill level and willingness to do some work. Personally, I'd run away if I noticed signs of present or past water infiltration.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have anyone in your friend circle who is an experienced RV'er? Can be better than a paid inspection!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Do you have anyone in your friend circle who is an experienced RV'er? Can be better than a paid inspection!
    I have friends, but none that are willing to travel 5 hours with me to see the rig. I'm pretty handy and have rented a few times, so it's not like I'm a "babe in the woods".
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    Pullrite Superglide 16k

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look in the cabinets where the wall meets the roof and look for water damage. Look at tire wear. Make sure the fridge and AC's work. Look at the roof for tears or damage. Look under the slides for water stains. See if the water pump comes on and shuts off and stays off, you will have to bleed the system of air for it to stay off. If it doesn't stay off look for leaks.

To me if it has water damage it's a no go. The rest can be fixed but I would adjust the price (probably won't get a discount because in this market he can sell to someone else who doesn't see the damage).

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    Look in the cabinets where the wall meets the roof and look for water damage. Look at tire wear. Make sure the fridge and AC's work. Look at the roof for tears or damage. Look under the slides for water stains. See if the water pump comes on and shuts off and stays off, you will have to bleed the system of air for it to stay off. If it doesn't stay off look for leaks.

To me if it has water damage it's a no go. The rest can be fixed but I would adjust the price (probably won't get a discount because in this market he can sell to someone else who doesn't see the damage).

Red
    Thanks, Red. I appreciate the help.
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    Pullrite Superglide 16k

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gpo1958 View Post
    There will obviously be things that need to be addressed as the unit has some years on it, but I'm pretty sure that the 70+ year old that I hope to buy it from will not be interested in aligning a drawer, fixing loose trim or resealing a roof penetration.
    Is the issue in bold a hypothetical or something the seller has already disclosed?
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it smells moldy pass on it. Look over the outer walls closely for any delamination as well as the above recommendations for inside checking for any water intrusion. Any water intrusion I would pass on it. Other than that most stuff can be fixed. You may have to assume some risk if you cannot check grey and black tank function etc. Check what you can and directly ask about any issues.

Look over the suspension and tires and if you purchase take enough truck to pull it home.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot depends on how it has been stored...
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like potential purchase is from a private party. Asking about all maintenance performed, what known warranty items were done, what problems had to be addressed, what items have been fixed or need to, etc. can tell you alot about the owners integrity during this conversation as well as the obviously learning about the RV history. Documentation to share regarding all work done by owner/others ? Owner willingess to share and be open about the good, the bad, and the ugly is valuable.

If this conversation is not a comfortable one or there is an uneasy feeling or there are reasons to suspect things are not as shared.......time to walk (maybe run) away. There are too many quality owners out there selling quality units.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast