User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deadwood South Dakota

If anyone is planning to go to Deadwood South Dakota, don’t drive your truck there. They have no parking for larger vehicles, at least none that are within walking distance to the main areas. We tried hard to find a place we’d fit into, finally found a place where we could back into. We hung over the sidewalk a little to be out of the street. We got a traffic citation for blocking the sidewalk. Funny thing is, we noticed only pick-ups had tickets. Cars that hung over the sidewalk were not ticketed. They said the sidewalk had to be accessible for wheelchairs, which we are glad to accommodate, however the sidewalk was not wheelchair accessible with no area for wheelchairs to get onto the sidewalk. I’m a retired attorney and ADA accessibility was one area I worked with for my company. So, just beware if you go!
    June and Charlie, Kitty Gracie, Puppies Ellie and Ruby, Oklahoma City, OK
    2022 Arctic Fox 22G
    2019 Winnebago 2106FBS Micro Minnie (Sold); 2018 Reflection 230RL (Sold)
    2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drive a Class 7 Freightliner, much larger than any dually, and found parking in a "paid" city lot a block away from Main Street in '19.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why didn't you just ride the city trolley? They ask for a $1 when you get on and have several running around town most of the day and night.

Red

P.S. Thanks for the heads up. Deadwood is a fun place.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with many small town historical areas (particularly in mountains/hills areas) larger vehicle/trailer/RV parking is very limited if non-existent. The good news is that the websites for those locations most often have information on parking options.

Here are a couple links to Deadwood with the lot for trailer/RVs/etc. parking at the Sherman lot a few blocks south of Deadwood main street as noted on the map in the second link:

https://www.deadwood.com/visitor-ser...ransportation/
    https://www.cityofdeadwood.com/commu...et-parking-lot

Years ago in Seattle we ran into the same type of challenge. We knew before our travels that Seattle was not RV friendly due to narrow streets and very limited parking. Two of us traveling with 31" mini-homes took a little more room to park than allowed. The parking attendant was not too amused. Instead of paying for two spots as we thought, she wanted to charge us for 6 spots. I think we agreed to pay for 4 !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We visited Deadwood August 2020. Yes, for large trucks, ours is a dually, parking is limited but it is available. We found free parking at the visitor center parking lot and walked to town a few blocks away. Not really a big deal for us. Had a great time!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go through Deadwood frequently. Stop at the visitor center and ask one of the nice attendants to give you a city map and mark it with all locations for truck/bus/RV parking. There are 5 locations near center that can accommodate my tow beast, and when non-peak they'll let you stay parked in the visitor center.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania