User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of DRW?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting topic .... I bought my 2020 SRW F350 CCLB Platinum 6.7L 4x4 that has a 12,400 GVWR and a posted payload of 4561 lbs. I went to weigh the truck at the CAT scales and found it weighed 8620 lbs without the 5th wheel hitch. I did some calculations and discovered that the truck was a bit more than 600 lbs heavier than what the payload sticker indicates it should be (ie: 12,400 - 4562 = 7839 lbs).

Fast forward to about a month ago - Ford issues a recall on my truck to replace the payload sticker with one that is 3980lbs. I called the dealer to make an appointment but they have not called me back (ie: they needed to order the new stickers ...)

I weighed my truck with my Grand Design Solitude S-2930RL attached - my truck front and rear axles were carrying 11,700 lbs (under 12,400) and my camper was 14,300 lbs (about 700 lbs below its 15,000 GVWR) with about 3000 lbs of pin weight and about 11,300 lbs on the axles (each are 7Klb axles).

I am within the limits of the camper and truck, but I bought it because of the 4561lb payload that was posted on the sticker on the truck.

I spoke with several people that are getting new trucks from Ford because of the payload recall issue (Ford is giving them a little under $12K plus their trade in value towards a new truck (all are purchasing Dually models - mostly F450s). This equates to getting back MSRP on the original truck and applying that to a new truck. The problem currently is that one cannot find a new truck due to the chip shortage issue. And there is no guarantee about the trade in value of your current truck until you actually trade it in .... so ordering one today and waiting a few months or more is risky.

I am happy with my current truck (only has 4K miles on it). I got 2% interest financing for 5 years so I don't want to loose that (and I have owned it for over a year). It pulls our 5th wheel with ease. Not happy about the potential transmission recall coming though (ie: bad planetary bearing issue).

I have no reason to get a larger camper for my wife and I (we went from a 40' bunkhouse - Open Range 399 BHS to our current one that is 35').
    2021 - Grand Design Solitude S-2930RL
    2020 - Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 6.7L CCLB

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Yep! That's what I had in mind.
    I bought that Dually in the summer of 2017, and at the time I had a 34 1/2' tow behind toy hauler.....talk about overkill. But, I knew that I would be moving up to a large 5th Wheel Toy Hauler within a year or two. I got the Momentum 394M in Feb 2019....and I knew I had enough truck, even for that 20K GVWR Momentum.....I love excess payload capacity.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I bought that Dually in the summer of 2017, and at the time I had a 34 1/2' tow behind toy hauler.....talk about overkill. But, I knew that I would be moving up to a large 5th Wheel Toy Hauler within a year or two. I got the Momentum 394M in Feb 2019....and I knew I had enough truck, even for that 20K GVWR Momentum.....I love excess payload capacity.
    Buy the dually... It will come...

The forces of the Universe do seem to command it... lol
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the DRW will always be an option due to what has been said above "extra stability and redundancy". I would think the 250/2500 would go away since the line between the 1 ton 250/2500 is narrowing. People would say they bought a 250/2500 because of the increase of registration fees for trucks over 10,000 pounds now that excuse is gone unless you want a derated truck. Both a 1 ton and 250/2500 can be derated that last time I checked.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    There are two aspects you are never going to replace the advantage of a dually over a single rear wheel - stability and the advantage in the event of a blowout on that loaded rear. To me personally, these considerations are tangible when I consider the load, the length, our travel range, our travel style, how we value the investment, and so on. Another way to say it, perhaps, is that I see capability as more than capacity. I want our tow vehicle to do the job, and do the job well.

No doubt this will be an interesting thread to come.
    Thank you all for responding on this topic. I'd like to challenge that concept a bit Mr. Geo. Driving through high winds near Cheyenne Wyoming, I see 18 wheelers turned over. 2 more wheels on a truck are not likely to save me if an 18 wheeler can't make it (note: I've not yet tried to pull the Solitude through that area yet). When I drive I-10 through Arizona, New Mexico and West Texas (where there are literally billboards and wind-socks for high winds), an SRW does just fine. I've driven it with the Solitude. I agree with ya'll with DRWs in principle, I am just struggling to justify it based on personal experience.
    Last edited by CaptPicardo; 05-20-2021 at 06:59 PM.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    ...I am just struggling to justify it based on personal experience.
    It sounds like you're all set with what you have then!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    It sounds like you're all set with what you have then!
    How about we exchange TVs just to make sure ? Coz I'm still in doubt ... you just can't get new trucks these days.
    Jeff & Ally
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about we exchange TVs just to make sure ?
    Hah! I don't have a DRW right now but I do have a 2022 F-450 on order. Probably won't arrive for another 6 months though with all the shortages. I definitely felt more secure towing my heavier Solitude 373FB with my 2019 DRW.

I love my current SRW truck but I know I'm pushing it's limits. If nothing else, a DRW makes me "feel" like it's more capable and safer and that's actually worth quite a lot to me.
    Last edited by bertschb; 05-20-2021 at 07:53 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for responding on this topic. I'd like to challenge that concept a bit Mr. Geo. Driving through high winds near Cheyenne Wyoming, I see 18 wheelers turned over. 2 more wheels on a truck are not likely to save me if an 18 wheeler can't make it (note: I've not yet tried to pull the Solitude through that area yet). When I drive I-10 through Arizona, New Mexico and West Texas (where there are literally billboards and wind-socks for high winds), an SRW does just fine. I've driven it with the Solitude. I agree with ya'll with DRWs in principle, I am just struggling to justify it based on personal experience.
    You're confusing the wind point... Every day of the week, a dually is more stable in the wind than an SRW. It's simple physics there. What you have gone on to is when cross-winds cause uplift. If you're rolling a high center of gravity combination that is lightly loaded in severe cross-wind the uplift can flip a semi easily. 5ers have the advantage that they have only 1/2 to 1/3 the height off the road compared to a semi trailer. Harder to get sufficient flow under a 5er for uplift when you also consider geometric design of roadways, including guide rails that act to disrupt the flow path. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it is less probable. FYI - my mines and production facilities are spread across WY, and in my years traveling to them and also the SW US, I have witnessed both the aftermath and the full terror of watching TTs and 5ers and semis thrown around like toys in the all too frequent 70+mph crosswinds when the warnings weren't heeded.

I cannot offer you much more through the internet, but what I can say with a high degree of confidence is that if you park your SRW shorty and pull your 5er 3K with a DRW long you will be convinced. Maybe not converted because of other financial, use, etc. considerations, but you will definitely appreciate the difference.
    Last edited by geotex1; 05-20-2021 at 07:25 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    You can increase the limits of the truck all day long, but at that point you will still be limited by the tire itself. Obviously a single tire wont be able to compare to a dual tire setup when looking at weight ratings. I dont think its end of the DRW, there is still the F450 in the less than 14k class of trucks, and the bigger DRWs that would require different licensing unless you register them as 14k trucks. I think DRWs are great for towing, definitely makes for a very stable tow, especially in the wind. I know I'll get another DRW at some point, most likely when we dont live in Idaho anymore, the snow here is the only reason I sold mine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Interested in the end of your post, why would snow cause you to not favor a DRW? Thank you for clarifying! (I came from Colorado and have driven in treacherous snow, always in SRW, thus my question)
    Jeff & Ally
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast