User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The end of DRW?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    Interested in the end of your post, why would snow cause you to not favor a DRW? Thank you for clarifying!
    All that extra surface area that is great for stability and spreading out the weight has the opposite effect with snow. Also, snow likes to get caught between the rear wheels. Last winter I had my hitch in the truck (200lbs), loaded tool box (175lbs) and 600lbs of sandbags. Didnt make any difference, the back end was all over the road and the tired only had about 1500miles on them.

One more thing, when we lived in VA, the little snow there wasnt bad with a DRW. But in Idaho where the road stays white most of the winter, it didnt feel very safe driving the DRW.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you FT4Now, great insight, helpful to understand.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    All that extra surface area that is great for stability and spreading out the weight has the opposite effect with snow. Also, snow likes to get caught between the rear wheels. Last winter I had my hitch in the truck (200lbs), loaded tool box (175lbs) and 600lbs of sandbags. Didnt make any difference, the back end was all over the road and the tired only had about 1500miles on them.

One more thing, when we lived in VA, the little snow there wasnt bad with a DRW. But in Idaho where the road stays white most of the winter, it didnt feel very safe driving the DRW.

Yep, snow without a lot of payload is the Achilles heel of DRW. With the wet snows here in the NE It's particularly miserable. It's not just the reduced contact pressure either. Full floating rear end it efficient delivering the torque, and I couldn't even imagine if the torque management neutering of the Cummins could be released (with hogging out the trans).

Until I'm chasing 70deg, my daily driver is a 1500 crew/long/4x/3.92/Hemi.
    Last edited by geotex1; 05-20-2021 at 08:14 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliantly enlightening, thank you gents!
    Jeff & Ally
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timely thread for me. I have been thinking about updating my truck to either a long bed SRW, or a dually. Main reason is the longer wheelbase, not needing the Reese Sidewinder I currently have, and about 400 lbs more payload. Being my only vehicle, in a smaller town with roads that are interesting enough with a SRW, I am not fond of getting a dually. All more food for thought. At the current (CAT scale) weight I have my trailer at a SRW will work.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For us having the DRW is all about weight management. with our 16.8K GVWR, 3500 pin weight DRW is the only way to go. But its nice to think that if we have a flat on the rear we have the second tire to get us off the road to a safe place to change the flat, kind of already done that, inside DRW got a big screw in it and was losing air, TPMS let us know before it went flat. Of course no help if its a front tire.

Have seen a very few RVs that had DRW on the rig axles.

On super singles, if ever made available for 1 Ton DRW, or for those rare RVs that have DRW, it would play havoc for tire rotation, of course the tire rims would be totally different.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is peace of mind that comes with DRW, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. That said, we all tend to mind TPMS / tread and travel architecture religiously, and we have a multitude of electronics that assist us. I do sacrifice on turn radius with an SRW/standard bed, but that's about my only calculable loss. 12,700 miles towing it, pretty happy, but if any of ya'll with DRW wanna swap trucks, please let me know. (we did have to ask one gentleman to reposition his truck from the road to get out of Lynchburg) About to head into the Wyoming winds.
    Last edited by CaptPicardo; 05-22-2021 at 09:40 PM.
    Jeff & Ally
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread indeed.

First, thanks to @geotex1 for putting the super single debate to rest for me. I have no experience with them but the people I talk to say that the debate is as fierce as the Ford Chevy debate ever has been.

Now my dually story. When we were weekend warriors putting maybe 1000 miles a year on it, the GM 2500 did the job with my 16k# Montana loaded to 15k. Yes it was overloaded and I caught the wrath from this group for it (rightfully so). But it's hard to justify a new truck for 1000 miles a year and that truck actually performed very well.

When we decided to go full time, obviously the game changed. The 5th wheel got a little lighter, but then the decision was about the truck doing the job or doing it well. When I get my 2020 F350 dually set up the way I want it, I'll have 100 gallons of water and hopefully 1000# of tools on the truck.

For me, going dually was a no brainer and I can't be happier with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post

Why not take off the outer wheels in the winter? Yeah, it looks dorky but would seem to alleviate the problems.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an interesting approach of which I've not heard yet. Any dually owners out there want to share on that approach?
    Jeff & Ally
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast