Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of DRW?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The end of DRW?

I respect this group and realize this may be a controversial thread, but have to say - are we seeing the end of DRW?

Here's why I ask - the 2020 manufactures have upped their game and I'm seeing so many SRW Ford, Ram and GM vehicles with enhanced springs and load enhancements that I'm not sure whether DRWs are really needed any further for a 5er at 18k or less weight.

I'm going to say that's a thing of the past and I look forward to your candid feedback.

Best,
    Jeff
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two aspects you are never going to replace the advantage of a dually over a single rear wheel - stability and the advantage in the event of a blowout on that loaded rear. To me personally, these considerations are tangible when I consider the load, the length, our travel range, our travel style, how we value the investment, and so on. Another way to say it, perhaps, is that I see capability as more than capacity. I want our tow vehicle to do the job, and do the job well.

No doubt this will be an interesting thread to come.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can increase the limits of the truck all day long, but at that point you will still be limited by the tire itself. Obviously a single tire wont be able to compare to a dual tire setup when looking at weight ratings. I dont think its end of the DRW, there is still the F450 in the less than 14k class of trucks, and the bigger DRWs that would require different licensing unless you register them as 14k trucks. I think DRWs are great for towing, definitely makes for a very stable tow, especially in the wind. I know I'll get another DRW at some point, most likely when we dont live in Idaho anymore, the snow here is the only reason I sold mine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    I respect this group and realize this may be a controversial thread, but have to say - are we seeing the end of DRW?

Here's why I ask - the 2020 manufactures have upped their game and I'm seeing so many SRW Ford, Ram and GM vehicles with enhanced springs and load enhancements that I'm not sure whether DRWs are really needed any further for a 5er at 18k or less weight.

I'm going to say that's a thing of the past and I look forward to your candid feedback.

Best,
    Jeff
    Let's look at an 18K GVWR 5ver and the amount of pin weight that it will put down....plus the other things that factor into it. So at a minimum, you are going to see at least 3600 lbs or so of pin weight. However, many times, the pin weight will be more than the "average" calculated 20% of the trailer weight. So let's use 22% instead and then you will be looking at 3960 lbs of pin weight. Now let's add up the rest of the numbers....weight of the 5ver hitch...~175 to maybe 200 lbs, how about passengers in the truck....200 lb....300 lbs...??? lbs. Then there is the possibility of a toolbox in the bed of the truck with who know what in it...maybe another 200 lbs. What about extra fuel being carried or an aux. tank added to the bed of the truck? Firewood...maybe. The list of other "stuff" is of course dependent on each individual, but the example I just stated would add 600 to 700 lbs or more, on top of the 3960 lbs of a 22% pin weight calculation. Now you are right back to a Dually configuration needed in what started off as "just an 18K" trailer. Just some food for thought.

And I do realize, as you stated, the 2020 models and up have increased the GVWR and thus the payload numbers, and that certainly helps to be able to use a SRW instead of a DRW in some instances, but the bottom line is that you still have to know (or be very close to) what your total weight is that will be burdened on the truck...and what it's limitations are in GVWR, GCVWR, RAWR, FAWR, Payload, etc, etc.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To keep an open mind on this. . . . DRW is a “solution” to some specific “requirements”. Requirements referring to payload, stability, cost, reliability, etc. Now “IF” a truck manufacturer can meet or exceed these requirements w/ a redesigned SRW vehicle, I suspect most of us would be all over it. Although I don’t follow what manufacturer’s are developing, who knows what’s in store for us in 3-5 years?

Although not likely comparable, I've seen some semi-tractors that sport single rear wheels where there have traditionally been two. . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	34225
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    To keep an open mind on this. . . . DRW is a “solution” to some specific “requirements”. Requirements referring to payload, stability, cost, reliability, etc. Now “IF” a truck manufacturer can meet or exceed these requirements w/ a redesigned SRW vehicle, I suspect most of us would be all over it. Although I don’t follow what manufacturer’s are developing, who knows what’s in store for us in 3-5 years?

Although not likely comparable, I've seen some semi-tractors that sport single rear wheels where there have traditionally been two. . . .

Yes, I am not familiar with the loads and ratings of these large (very wide) single tires on semi tractors and trailers but we have been seeing them all over our part of the country for a few years and growing in numbers. It would be interesting to learn of these equipped semi rings have the same load carrying capacities.

I suspect carriers are using these to lower costs as the main reason but it would be interesting to learn more from our semi tractor friends on the forum as to upsides/downsides.

Jeff @CaptPicardo - Now this said, will this very wide single semi rig tire scenario be part of the HD pickup scene or not. It would be interesting to learn more about this too if we have some folks with factual knowledge. Good thread to learn more going forward. Thanks, for starting it.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    Not a chance. Until manufacturers can produce an SRW truck with 5,000lbs of payload, we will always have DRW trucks. And that's not taking into consideration the extra stability and redundancy that the extra rear tires provide.

The increased payload we're seeing in new HD trucks is allowing folks to haul heavier 5th wheels than they could in the past but there are still plenty of 5th wheels out there (particularly toy haulers) that far exceed the payload rating of any SRW truck.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post

Super Singles suffer EXACTLY the same issues we are talking about with 1-ton SRW versus DRW. They are more fuel efficient, less rotating mass, but also less stable and the driver is more apt to lose control in the event of a blowout under load. I think some of you know that the company I work for also has its own trucking company. Our manufactured projects are heavy, and our loading is done with every truck scaled because of it. Due to some possible credits and the corporate MBAs crunching projected cost savings related to improved fuel mileage (nevermind the cost consideration of a Super Single versus conventional dually tire), 10 trucks fitted with Super Singles were added to the fleet when conventional 10-wheel tractors were retired out. Guess what trucks are costing us the most money now 5 years in terms of O&M, product loss, and insurance claims? Just to add, the decision-makers were marauders - in and out of the company in 3 years making nothing but the worst decsions...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Not a chance. Until manufacturers can produce an SRW truck with 5,000lbs of payload, we will always have DRW trucks. And that's not taking into consideration the extra stability and redundancy that the extra rear tires provide.

The increased payload we're seeing in new HD trucks is allowing folks to haul heavier 5th wheels than they could in the past but there are still plenty of 5th wheels out there (particularly toy haulers) that far exceed the payload rating of any SRW truck.
    You mean like this one.....
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    You mean like this one.....
    Yep! That's what I had in mind.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast