Thread: Mattress

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mattress

Hey Folks,

Not new to RVing but new to Grand Design. We'll be picking up our new 320MKS next week! Woo Hoo. I've had issues with slides before because it was all too easy to overload (i.e. too much weight). It was a 20 ft full side slide. Yeah.. thanks Forest River.. In retrospect, I'll never buy an RV with that big of a slide EVER again. Anyway, I'm now pretty gun shy about overloading our new slides. That said, we want to put a Stick House mattress in the unit. I think the mattress is about 80 lbs (or so).

What do you think? Too much or just fine? I believe this slide has only the bed and under-bed storage.

Cheers and many Thanks,
    Greg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a BB, INC Organic Cotton King. Best mattress I've ever experienced and it weighs at least 80 lbs. I suggest you are going to be happy and safe with your new mattress.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For comparison, we have a Purple 3 Hybrid in ours, and I believe it's deeper than your Reflection bed slide. The Purple is 30# heavier and I rebuilt the bed deck and reinforced the bed box plus added drawer storage. All of that, still below the capacity of the Schwintek and what GD provided to us, in writing, were the capacities of our slide boxes.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a cool idea Rob! I'm yet to find an RV mattress that is comfortable straight from the manufacturer. They all have to be changed if you spend a lot of time in your RV but you should feel comfortable in swapping it Birdman.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    That's a cool idea Rob! I'm yet to find an RV mattress that is comfortable straight from the manufacturer. They all have to be changed if you spend a lot of time in your RV but you should feel comfortable in swapping it Birdman.
    Definitely!!!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. BTW geo where/how did you get the capacity? I've asked GD but they didn't supply a capacity but they did say I "should" be fine.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a Tuft & Needle residential foam mattress in our Reflection 337 (bed slide should be the same as yours) for 4-1/2 years. I had a little flexing of the plywood bed platform due to inadequate framing underneath, but no issues with the slide. I reinforced the bed platform and everything was hunky-dory from then on. If you think about it, the slide is designed to handle hundreds of pounds of "people weight" - much more than a mattress.

BTW - you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Second..

Its not the sleeping load I'm concerned about it's the stress on the motors, gears, and rack going in and out. A couple of hundred pounds could be rough on those.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    Up until we bought the 303RLS I would have agreed with you. But the 303 came with a nice memory foam mattress that both the wife and I like. Maybe they installed a good one by accident..
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the replies. We in fact are using our household mattress and the slide motors sound great (i.e. not overworked). However, one item to note is this mattress seems longer than the RV mattress and compresses up against the dresser. Not ideal but still seemed OK.

Cheers,
    Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast