User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 28RS Hitchs Grand Design Recommends?

Our new rig will be delivered end of June and we need a hitch for our flatbed truck. Just heard from the dealer Grand Design quit endorsing Anderson hitches 2 months ago and if you use one he said it will affect what my warranty will cover. Thoughts? Thanks.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    29RS or 280RS?

It's not GD's call. The frame and it's warranty is through Lippert. To my knowledge, GD never "endorsed" the Andersen, and just reiterates what their supplier's position is. If you want to tow goose, the Reese Goosebox is fully approved for use by Lippert.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    29RS or 280RS?

It's not GD's call. The frame and it's warranty is through Lippert. To my knowledge, GD never "endorsed" the Andersen, and just reiterates what their supplier's position is. If you want to tow goose, the Reese Goosebox is fully approved for use by Lippert.
    2x on previous comment. No manufacturers endorse any hitch or make legal claims of warranty issues. If a brand puts it in writing that’s a different story. Anything else is heresay or misinformation. That said, do your research and talk to owners here like your doing. For us It depended on our tow vehicle. We have a 17’ Short Bed F350. That generation had high bed rails so it was down to Andersen or auto slider with adjustable height. We got an Andersen. Loved it. Hitch up at any angle, light and easy to install. However we were too close to the bedrail with our bike rack tonneau and to the cab for our trailer when boondocking so went to a Demco autoslider and cushioned pin box. More clearance however for us the Andersen was way easier to hookup and the chucking was less even with the new upgrade to the pinbox. Gooseneck I think is the way to go if you have all the clearances with the tow vehicle. Andersen would be my second pick and if your need clearance off the cab look at the auto sliders. Fair warning they are pricey. Just my experience and opinion. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you are talking about the 150 Series 280RS, you can not change the pinbox.

You will have to work with a hitch for the flatbed. There are brands that make lower profile hitches for flatbed installation.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you much. Towing with a 2020 longbed Chevy crew cab 2500 flatbed or my 2008 Chevy 3500. We bought a new Anderson but dealer spooked us about the warranty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call Andersen. Check other forums. I've been checking forums for two years and other than a thread I found that was at least two years old at the time (2019) about how one failed and someone "got photos from a friend" showing one collapsed, I still have not seen anything to worry us. Again, we moved to another hitch, but for entirely reasons related to the truck bed and trailer not having enough slack in the cab-cap when were boondocking. After towing for two years (well, last summer was a bust), I can see if someone did not follow the torque specs, the bolts could be cranked to deform the hitch enough to weaken it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my Andersen hitch. Almost pulled the trigger on a Superglide and glad I didn't.

Lippert is known for crappy welds and defective frames and warranty claims. Has been for years.

Go search the Montana forums for "lippert frame warranty problems" or just google it.

Funny thing is, Lippert used to have no problem with the Andersen. Since they've become the exclusive distributor for the Reese Goosebox, everything else including Andersen now magically "voids your warranty", which is illegal by the way. Under Federal Law, Lippert has the burden of proof that a certain product caused the damage.

Additionally, Andersen has a multi million dollar warranty to cover you if their hitch were to damage your frame, which would be tough to prove since it does not change any of the forces on the pin or add any additional stress to the frame like a true gooseneck hitch does.

Bottom line is, buy what you're comfortable with. The last 2 owners of the ST 310GK fivers we looked at were using Andersens and highly recommended them.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the problems you describe were with the aluminum version. I've got the steel version and have not read of any issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cattle Guy, I’m interested to know if you went with the Andersen hitch. I’m awaiting delivery of 280RS myself and will be towing it with a dully flatbed. I have a wedge toolbox and a diesel transfer tank. Sorry about poor pics but this is what I’m working with.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B25F7F46-51AD-43F4-BDF6-68F573D825CD.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	37190
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5F2A10AC-E1C9-4E9D-B4C6-56E3BCFBA0F0.jpg   1443642E-4B19-407C-9F54-3EBB5CD04833.jpeg   E953C021-F050-49ED-BEC6-163FE0604DBC.jpg  
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)