User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a new 2018 Imagine and on a trip from Florida to the Balloon Festival in New Mexico somehow got a bent axle. Same as yours. My weights where within spec’s. Had a tire problem on the way out. Not sure if the tire guy put the jack in the right place lifting. Also visited a friend’s cattle ranch in Oklahoma. Really bumpy roads! Just kept buying cheap tires and can home. Called Dexter and bought Two new heavier axles. No more problems.
    Good luck
    Tom & Trish

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    In the event you have to fix it on your dime (likely) I recommend purchasing at Auto Safety House. They have good prices and knowledgeable people.
    Also, it bent once, so it will probably happen again unless you upgrade. Now is the time to do it. Axles can be custom built to your specs. They are available in light, medium, and heavy wall tubes as well.
    When my axle bent on a past trailer, I checked into upgrading both 3500# to 4400#. The problem was the 4400# was a 6-lug vs my current 5-lug hub, so I would be upgrading both axles AND 4 wheels and a spare and tire re-mounting. Wasn’t worth it on the relatively “cheap” Imagine. If I had a Momentum, maybe the calculus is different.
    Current 2022 Imagine 2800BH
    TV 2020 F350 SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Past 2021 Reflection 31MB
    2018 Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AUImagine View Post
    When my axle bent on a past trailer, I checked into upgrading both 3500# to 4400#. The problem was the 4400# was a 6-lug vs my current 5-lug hub, so I would be upgrading both axles AND 4 wheels and a spare and tire re-mounting. Wasn’t worth it on the relatively “cheap” Imagine. If I had a Momentum, maybe the calculus is different.
    You can have custom axles made. I did this on a previous TT. 3500# axles with 3" heavy wall tubes. It was quite reasonably priced at about 130.00 back in 2006. It did take some time to get it though.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Dexter 3500# axle with brake assemblies was about $550 in 2019. I checked on just getting the axle, but the labor on moving my brakes from one axle to the other was about the same as buying one with brand new brakes. Out here in the mountain west, a single axle replacement at an independent shop was about $600 in parts and $300 in labor.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had checked into converting to disc brakes early last year and found that I would have to replace the 3000lb axles with 3500lb as no brake kits were available for the 3000lb axles. Total cost for 2 new axles and disc brakes was around 3100.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had contacted GD cust service and they told me that since I was past the one year mark I would have to deal with dexter. I contacted dexter and supplied photos and heard back today. The 3000 lb axle on my 21bhe has been discontinued. Kudos to dexter for offering to send me a 3500 lb axle and a 2nd one so that I would have a matched set on my trailer. That probably explains why the 2021 21bhe's have approx 500 lb higher gross weight. As a bonus I will now have axles that can be converted to disc brakes. No kit was available for the 3000 lb axles.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got the trailer in for axle replacement. Hopefully will be ready today.

Dexter offered to send me 2 new 3500 lb axles and the cost of 2.5 hours of labor but they were not willing to supply axles with disc brakes even though I was willing to pay whatever upgrade fee would be needed. I decided I really wanted to go to discs after experiencing an almost complete braking failure while driving through a light misty rain earlier this year. The brakes did function normally after things dried up later on the drive so I can only assume it was brake fade due to water.

Dexter did say they would reimburse me the equivalent of what they would have provided.

So for almost $3500, minus whatever Dexter decides they will reimburse me, I will now have two new 3500 lb axles and springs equipped with electric over hydraulic disc brakes.

Does anyone know what is different between a brake controller for electric brakes and one for eoh brakes. I had to replace my Tekonsha Primus controller with a Tekonsha P3 because the Primus is only for electric brakes.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    Does anyone know what is different between a brake controller for electric brakes and one for eoh brakes. I had to replace my Tekonsha Primus controller with a Tekonsha P3 because the Primus is only for electric brakes.
    I don’t understand what you are asking

The p3 should have a choice of settings

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123