User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tankless water heater

We have a tankless water heater in our new 2021 337RLS. The question I have is, how long should it take to heat up? When we turn on the bathroom faucet it heats up fairly quickly, but the kitchen sink it runs a long time before it gets hot. This isn’t a problem with full hookups like we currently have, but if you’re boondocking or only have electric hook ups I can see where this would be a problem. It’s hard to save water and keep your gray tank empty when you’re having to let the water run for 3 or 4 minutes just to get hot water. Any of you tankless users have any ideas or tips?
    Last edited by mxdad777; 05-22-2021 at 12:33 AM.
    2019 GMC 2500HD Duramax
    2021 GD Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't make a difference if you would have a tanked water heater. You have to run out the ambient temp water from the water line before getting hot water.

Longer run to the faucet means a longer wait time for hot water, tankless heater or not.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm familiar with tankless wh but not the ones used in RV lately. Are they dual supply? Lp and electric? It shouldn't make that big of a difference whether your on fhu or boondocking. It's normal that the leg furthest will take longer to heat up.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mxdad777 View Post
    We have a tankless water heater in our new 2021 337RLS. The question I have is, how long should it take to heat up? When we turn on the bathroom faucet it heats up fairly quickly, but the kitchen sink it runs a long time before it gets hot. This isn’t a problem with full hookups like we currently have, but if you’re boondocking or only have electric hook ups I can see where this would be a problem. It’s hard to save water and keep your gray tank empty when you’re having to let the water run for 3 or 4 minutes just to get hot water. Any of you tankless users have any ideas or tips?
    We have the 340RDS. I believe the kitchen sink in our unit is a bit closer to the water heater than the 337, but not a lot closer. I would say it takes about the same amount of time to get hot water at the kitchen tap as it does at the bathroom tap...about 15 to 20 seconds. 3-4 minutes is extremely excessive in my opinion.

I don’t know what might be causing the significant difference for you, but it doesn’t seem normal and isn’t what we’re experiencing.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I'm familiar with tankless wh but not the ones used in RV lately. Are they dual supply? Lp and electric? It shouldn't make that big of a difference whether your on fhu or boondocking. It's normal that the leg furthest will take longer to heat up.

LP only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All I can say is save the water in a pitcher or something when boon docking. Also check your valve settings, like the outside shower valves - be sure they are closed. if open they can allow water mixing and it takes longer to get hot water. Also does your water heater have a bypass valve. Make sure it is set correct too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a bypass set of valves like on a tanked system to winterize? If so, the valves might not be fully closed or open as they should be.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2021 337rls and I hate the tankless water heater. Takes way too long to heat up then get the hot water to the kitchen. My future solution is get a small 120v single faucet tankless water heater and install it with some bypass valves under the kitchen sink. There is already 120v power going to the island. Doesn't solve the boondocking problem be we go to full hook up sites and I just want faster kitchen hot water.

Also that tankless water heater is supossed to be winterized if the temps get below 39° f. GD is currently working on a solution for that problem.

Whoever made the decision to go tankless obviously never went camping.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    I have a 2021 337rls and I hate the tankless water heater. Takes way too long to heat up then get the hot water to the kitchen. My future solution is get a small 120v single faucet tankless water heater and install it with some bypass valves under the kitchen sink. There is already 120v power going to the island. Doesn't solve the boondocking problem be we go to full hook up sites and I just want faster kitchen hot water.

Also that tankless water heater is supossed to be winterized if the temps get below 39° f. GD is currently working on a solution for that problem.

Whoever made the decision to go tankless obviously never went camping.
    My thoughts exactly. Most of the time we have full hook ups too, but it is annoying how long it takes.
    2019 GMC 2500HD Duramax
    2021 GD Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will chime in here as well. We too have the 337RLS and it is new... and we took it out for a short spin this week... OMG, thought we were never going to get any hot water... yes, the bathroom sink gets warm faster than the kitchen sink... but it does take a LONG time! The other issue we have is that the warm/hot water does not last very long before it reverts back to cold water. It is basically useless, IMHO. We just got used to washing our dishes with cold water. Now think about the shower.... you wait and wait to get warm water, you jump in and get the temp set about what feels good... and in a few seconds, you are back to cold water... not pleasant!

I've RV'ed with friends, and their RV seemed to provide warm/hot water somewhat quicker and lasted a very long time...

Is there something we "new" RV'ers are not aware of, or are we doing something wrong, or is there a solution possible?? I've seen tankless, LP water heaters in small cabins in many locations and there was an endless supply of warm/hot water... but the GD design does not seem to work very well...

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast