Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

trailer pin box vs using the hitch adjustments

Hello all,
    Just purchased a 2021 GMC Denali, standard bed, crew cab. Also purchased a curt A25 to be used in factory 5th wheel prep option. I did not go with a slider because in over 10 years of having sliders and grand design RVs , I have never used the slider functionality. My question now is this truck is taller than the 2015 Chevy I had. Yesterday when I started to play around with the curt height adjustments it didn’t seem like I was was going to get the bed rail clearance I needed . So my question is how to you know that you have to adjust the Rv pin box vs keep moving the curt hitch height up? I assume I would need to lower the pin box on my Rv to get more clearance...but that doesn’t look easy.

2019 3740BH
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 , crew cab , standard bed

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our previous Reflection/truck combination, I had to adjust the pin box to get the trailer level and achieve 6" of clearance because the hitch was at maximum adjustment. You're right - that pin box is heavy! I purchased new bolts, nuts and lock washers of the proper grade (rather than reuse the old ones). I then hitched up the trailer and used wood blocks (including several pieces of 6 x 6) and a bottle jack on the tailgate to help with the back part of the pin box. Adjusting the front landing gear up and down allowed me to align the holes in the pin box with those in the wings. Finally, I torqued the new bolts and nuts to specs for their size. Just be sure that, in achieving the clearance you want, the trailer isn't too far out of level.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a previous 5th wheel I did the same as Rob. To your question, I don't think it really matters if you make the adjustments with the hitch, the pin box or both. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is easier to work with the hitch due to the weight of pin box. I've got an older 2wd truck and was able to get my Reflection level with lots of bed rail clearance. It looks difficult with the newer trucks.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks you. I did some adjustments. Do you think 5” of bed rail clearance is enough or should I move the hitch one more notch to get the 6 inch clearance everyone seems to speak about?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCRICHRI View Post
    Thanks you. I did some adjustments. Do you think 5” of bed rail clearance is enough or should I move the hitch one more notch to get the 6 inch clearance everyone seems to speak about?
    How level is the trailer? 6" would be good if the trailer isn't too nose high that way. Uneven ground such as a gutter while pulling out of a truck stop driveway, etc., can cause the truck and trailer to roll differently and make contact.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015