Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2015 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel

Had a Ford F250 with the 5.4 gas. Did alright, but struggled in the mountains or other grades, and mileage really was horrible. But..it worked hard and can't fault it....except knock fillings out of your teeth on a rough road! Can't wait to see how this Cummins does pulling slightly heavier trailer (just over 10K lbs)
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Steve and Lynne
    Welcome to the Dark Side (color of exhaust)! As the signature shows, we tow a Reflection 337RLS with a 2008 (Dodge) Ram 2500, dry weight of fifth wheel about 10,600 lbs. We are pretty much full-timing and have covered about 25 states, including all in the Rockies and many in the Appalachians. I believe you will be VERY happy with the power of the 6.7, and if you got an automatic transmission, very pleased with the engine brake. Our 4x4 rides pretty smoothly, and is quiet in the cab, so much so that unless the windows are open, you don't know it's a diesel. With your truck being 7 years newer, the refinements would probably make me drool! When/if we replace our 2008, it will be a new Ram 3500 dually with a 6.7, automatic, and towing package. Others have done well with Chev/GMC and Ford, but we are committed to Ram. Many happy travels and welcome!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just moved to the dark side as well (diesel) after owning 2 ford V10s. UNBELIEVABLE is all I can say in difference in towing. Still a Ford man though, 6.7 F350, but whatever makes you happy and comfortable while towing. I now understand why my diesel friends say once you tow w a diesel you will never buy a gasser again.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta go along with the diesel. We just started this fifth wheel adventure in September of last year. We are towing with a 2008 Dodge 3500, 4dr., long bed. I do love the engine brake. I have towed a lot of different things with big blocks, Ford and Chevy. I would also say that when it comes time to replace the Dodge, it will be a diesel, probably another Dodge 3500, but we will see.

Gord and Janet Fuchs

Steve and Lynne
    Here's the deal- similar horsepower with gas or diesel. Diesel- TWICE the torque! Torque is what powers you up a steep long grade.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve and Lynne View Post
    Here's the deal- similar horsepower with gas or diesel. Diesel- TWICE the torque! Torque is what powers you up a steep long grade.
    Yep, in my case V10= 367 HP and 406# Torque, the 6.7 = 400 HP and 800# Torque

Steve and Lynne
    In 2001 I bought a new Chevrolet 4x4 3500 dually with an 8.1 liter gas engine, Allison transmission. I was moving way too many possessions from Elk River, MN to Aurora, CO with a 45' 3 axle gooseneck race gar trailer, very full. This was for a career opportunity. The rig scaled at 28,000 + pounds, way over weight. But that 8.1 did an admirable job of scaling the "mountains" between the cities, drinking at a rate of 6.5 mpg. With our Ram 6.7 diesel, our fuel mileage ranges between 10 and 12 mpg, thinking we will scale around 20,000 pounds. Lots of real mountains on our current adventures!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve and Lynne View Post
    Welcome to the Dark Side (color of exhaust)! As the signature shows, we tow a Reflection 337RLS with a 2008 (Dodge) Ram 2500, dry weight of fifth wheel about 10,600 lbs. We are pretty much full-timing and have covered about 25 states, including all in the Rockies and many in the Appalachians. I believe you will be VERY happy with the power of the 6.7, and if you got an automatic transmission, very pleased with the engine brake. Our 4x4 rides pretty smoothly, and is quiet in the cab, so much so that unless the windows are open, you don't know it's a diesel. With your truck being 7 years newer, the refinements would probably make me drool! When/if we replace our 2008, it will be a new Ram 3500 dually with a 6.7, automatic, and towing package. Others have done well with Chev/GMC and Ford, but we are committed to Ram. Many happy travels and welcome!
    Thanks! Yeah, its pretty nice. All the bells and wistles. The 2015 models now have coil spring rear suspension instead of leaf springs. Makes it ride a heck of a lot nicer...almost like a big ol' SUV. Putting my last trailer on it to drag it to the dealer didn't cause any sag at all. Think I'm going to love it!

Be safe and have fun!
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing with the diesel in the Ram 2500 is that you lose almost 1000 lbs of payload (compared to the 6.4l gas). But you can tow an extra 1600 lbs

http://www.ramtruck.ca/en_dir/pdf/2015/towing.pdf
    Paul
    North Bay, Ontario
    2014 Reflection 293RES
    VIN # 200283
    2014 Ram 2500

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've owned Dodge, Chevy and Ford trucks and I'm not loyal to any brand. But my current truck is the first diesel powered tow vehicle I've owned. Wow - what a difference. There is a one three mile 7% grade at 7000 feet that we pull every year on our annual family trout fishing trip. My last set up was a 2004 Chevy gasser pulling a 10k# fiver. I was able to maintain about 32 mph up the grade. Of course, I'd always back up traffic on that stretch. With my current rig, I can pull the same grade while towing my 337 at the speed limit of 55 mph and still have lots of throttle left!

Jim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast