User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shower Controls Leak

Appears I have a small, minor leak from the cold water control in the shower. It's incredibly slow and appears to only drip in the shower. At least at the moment. I'm thinking I need to pop the four screws that hold the control housing to the shower and that should expose the back of the valves. Likely I just need to tighten the finger fittings or maybe add some plumbers tape. and then re-caulk with silicone once I have remounted the housing. Am I on the right track? Is it just that simple? Obviously if upon inspection I find a crack somewhere or a problem with the cold water line then I move on to the next level. I've not ever taken one of these off the shower wall. So I thought I would ask first. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leak2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	34298
    Last edited by finz04; 05-22-2021 at 02:45 PM.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These faucets are a cartridge type unit like a Delta or Moen. There's nothing to tighten as all the seals are made by O-rings. You can disassemble the cold water side and check the integrity of the O-rings and see if something needs replacing, but there's nothing to tighten. These units have a back-flow preventer built in with a little hole at the bottom center of the body that will drain some water after you turn off the shower, but it doesn't look like that's where the leak is coming from. If it's continual while the shower is off and doesn't stop after a time, I would have GD warranty it out or order a new faucet.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It drips off at the base of the faucet assembly but I can see where it starts near the back side of the handle. I suspected there was nothing to tighten within the faucet itself, but I was thinking the water lines have to attach to the back of the faucet somehow. That was the fitting that I might be able to tighten and make a difference. Showers are normal and the drip is incredibly slow at the moment. But maybe I will reach out to GD as you suggested. Thanks.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So just to wrap up this thread... I decided that no action was an acceptable way to go for now.

Rob, thanks for the info. Did not know about the the built in back-flow preventer and weep hole. The way the drip is acting I think this is the likely cause of the drip. Could be the drip seems to form on one side rather the center because the fixture might not being completely level. I hate water leaks and the potential for damage, but in this case I think I'm over thinking it. For now I'm just going to keep an eye on it. Thanks.

Mike C.
    Mike C.