User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pulling an Imagine XLS 17MKE with a F150 but it's not suitable for a family of four. My brother in law has an R-Pod but again his is not suitable for a family of four but there might be another model of R-Pod that is. They are lighter with only one axle.

Cargo carrying capacity is usually the limiting factor with a F150. Also you can't go by the brochure tongue weight. Mine is 480 lbs but with two batteries, full propane tanks, and loaded for a trip it weighs in at 960 lbs. I had to move some heavy stuff out of the pass thru to the truck bed to get the tongue weight down to around 12% of trailer weight. With just me and the wife I'm under CCC for my truck.

One other thing you might consider is the Anderson hitch. That's what I use. It weighs around 60 lbs versus almost 200 lbs for the Hensley.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    I'm pulling an Imagine XLS 17MKE with a F150 but it's not suitable for a family of four. My brother in law has an R-Pod but again his is not suitable for a family of four but there might be another model of R-Pod that is. They are lighter with only one axle.

Cargo carrying capacity is usually the limiting factor with a F150. Also you can't go by the brochure tongue weight. Mine is 480 lbs but with two batteries, full propane tanks, and loaded for a trip it weighs in at 960 lbs. I had to move some heavy stuff out of the pass thru to the truck bed to get the tongue weight down to around 12% of trailer weight. With just me and the wife I'm under CCC for my truck.

One other thing you might consider is the Anderson hitch. That's what I use. It weighs around 60 lbs versus almost 200 lbs for the Hensley.
    Why would you ever lower TW?
    Having excessive TW won’t hurt anything
    The more the better

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The more the better

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    So long as your TV and hitch can handle the TW, more is better. What many people do not think about is that depending on your usage and TTs layout, TW can vary a LOT in the course of a trip. Food gets eaten and ends up in the black tank, showers are taken and dishes are washed, meaning that the FW winds up in the tanks. Propane gets used and disappears. Many other items may move around as well. So trying to cut it close on TW is like a dog chasing it's tail. Entertaining but pretty much useless.
    Last edited by huntindog; 06-05-2021 at 06:45 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more the better

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Everything I've read says tongue weight should be between 10% and 15% of trailer weight. 960 lbs of tongue weight puts me over 15% of trailer weight. If you have valid sources of information that says tongue weight above 15% of trailer weight is OK then I'd be interested in reading it.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    Everything I've read says tongue weight should be between 10% and 15% of trailer weight. 960 lbs of tongue weight puts me over 15% of trailer weight. If you have valid sources of information that says tongue weight above 15% of trailer weight is OK then I'd be interested in reading it.
    Unlikely there is an article but what would you think would be the problem?

The more weight that is on the tongue makes it almost impossible at some point for the trailer to ever sway

This is physics

I suppose the 15 percent is a safeguard so a person didn’t make the front tires leave the ground but a wdh can remedy that

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, the more weight on the tongue will also push the front end of the truck up. Too far up and it will cause problems with steering. I have a friend who foolishly (his words) helped someone move a heavy carnival trailer. His truck was no where near the correct vehicle for the job, the tongue weight was way over his truck capacity and he lost control going down a hill with a turn at the bottom. It almost killed him. Lesson learned the hard way. A load leveling/weight distrubuting hitch would have helped and should be a must for anyone towing a trailer over 4000lbs (IMHO).
    TexSon
    San Antonio, Tx
    2021 Reflections 315RLTS
    2020 Silverado HD3500 Durmax

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are plenty of trailers to buy that your truck can easily handle
    I personally would never choose one with rear living or rear kitchens. They tow poorly
    Will you be over payload? Likely
    I would have no issue travelling locally (3 hours) to camp with your truck
    There are hybrids and smaller travel trailers that will comfortably fit 3 people
    And skip the Hensley. There are plenty of hitches that perform just as well. Sway is a result of poor load distribution. Load your trailer properly and you will avoid any chance of sway
    Your truck will not self destruct going over payload

But the decision is ultimately on you

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I would echo NB Canada. My solitude has rear kitchen and living room. I can haul her everywhere but not for the faint of heart and has to be carefully weight-managed. If I add something of 2 lbs I reduce something of 2 lbs. We've crossed the Rockies and Appalachians, and I manage weight distribution fanatically, including hitting the CAT scales weekly and leaving everything possible I can behind (hardcopy books, unused appliances, blankets, coats, everything . I recommend you do a bit of analysis based on your door tag and actual CAT scale measurements, that's how I've been able to track things in excel.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BenGT wrote " Unfortunately a new truck is not in the budget."

As NB Canada mentioned hybrids...

You are very wise to not break your budget! We had a 19' 2014 KZ Spree Escape hybrid (no slide) for six years and 25,000 miles with 3500 pound GVWR and towed it with a 2014 Acura MDX (500 tongue weight rating), basic anti sway, and no weight distribution hitch. This was with two adults (290 pounds), a small dog and a reasonably small amount of gear (no water in the tanks). Most use was in the Colorado Rockies. This combination worked very well for us (cost, weight, totally stable, great up and down the Rockies, long steep grades almost never needed to brake to control speed and used engine to slow down, space, and even had a comfortable sofa)

At the time, we did not want to own a truck... so found the lightest non-popup that we could find. Previously had a popup that served us well with family of four...In hind site a truck would have been better, though.

I can not confirm that we weren't over rated for MDX so anyone considering similar combination needs to verify tow ratings.
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 06-05-2021 at 10:34 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't Give Up yet...

Quote Originally Posted by BenGT2010 View Post
    I have a 2012 Ford F-150 ecoboost and have been shopping for an Imagine 2500RL trailer. I'm currently researching my tow vehicle capacity and had been going by the book value for payload (1520 lbs for my model - 145" wheelbase, super crew, 5.5" bed, 4x4). I double checked my door sticker today and my gut dropped - the numbers for my specific truck are actually only 1142 lbs (stupid moonroof and other Lariat add-ons, not including the spray-in bed liner and tanoe cover I added after market...). My wife, myself and our daughter + some basic cargo in the truck would be around 400 lbs. I was looking at a Hensley weight distributing hitch that weighs around 200 lbs. That would only leave 542 lbs of remaining payload which is less than the dry hitch weight of the 2500RL (581 lbs which I'm sure would be higher with propane, batteries and a light load of food and clothing). I'm fairly certain the 2500RL is now out of reach. Can my truck safely pull anything? Even a 16' Airstream Bambi has a hitch weight of 490 lbs which would be cutting it close (its wet bath and lack of food carrying capacity and storage would have cut it from the list anyway). Unfortunately a new truck is not in the budget. Sadly I think a travel trailer of any sort no longer is either. Just wanted to check with those more experienced if I'm missing anything.
    At risk of being chastised, I would offer a different opinion than some. I own a 2019 Toyota Tundra with a similar payload of 1174 and a GCWR of 15,160. I too was looking at a 2500RL but ended up with a 2018 2600RB instead. My wife loves the larger bathroom. I purchased a tongue scale before buying a trailer and measured several different trailers, including a 2500RL. The used 2500RL's I measured did not have a tongue weight of 960 and were closer to 750 with full propane and battery. My calculations showed that we would be slightly over the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 7,200 but significantly less than the Ft & Rr GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) . I filled the truck gas tank, loaded the wife and 60# Grand Dog, hitched up the trailer and headed to the CAT scales. Weights as follows: Ft Axle - 3520 (4000 Rating) , Rr Axle - 3780 (4150 Rating), Trailer 5760 for a CGW of 13,060. My GVWR was 7300, 100# over.

I too considered a Hensley hitch but decided the additional weight was too much. The trailer came with a Reese High Performance Trunnion Weight Distributing Hitch, which was one of my favorites. Before my initial test drive, I was very careful to setup the hitch for my truck and to inflate the truck tires to 42 psi (Max is 45 psi). During my initial test drive, and first time driving an RV, I did notice that the rear spring rate of the truck seemed light and that road bumps could induce a mild porpoising effect that subsided after a cycle or two. After much research, I decided to add Sumo Spring and new Bilstein shocks. These changes eliminated 80% of the issue.

Since our purchase, we have traveled over 14k without any issues and without feeling unsafe. I would not pull a larger trailer with this truck but have no issues with the current setup. I am very anal to insure that wheels are torqued properly and air pressures are proper before every departure. We minimize adding additional load to the truck and load as much as possible in the trailer carefully positioned to leverage the extra 1,100 # in trailer capacity. We never carry water and always empty tanks before leaving a site, except for short lower speed trips. I'm sure that a 3/4 ton truck would do significantly better at pulling my trailer without have to carefully plan loading, but a new truck is not in the budget. I do not feel unsafe, have encountered situations requiring emergency maneuvers and braking without any issues. I drive 60-65 when conditions permit.

What are the GCWR and GAWR specs for your truck? Are the brakes in tip top shape? Are your shocks relatively new or original? Does your truck have a brake controller? Can you test drive the 2500RL? Skip the Hensley, place the additional cargo in the trailer positioned near or over the axles and you should be good to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12