User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can my truck pull an Imagine 2500RL trailer....or any trailer?

I have a 2012 Ford F-150 ecoboost and have been shopping for an Imagine 2500RL trailer. I'm currently researching my tow vehicle capacity and had been going by the book value for payload (1520 lbs for my model - 145" wheelbase, super crew, 5.5" bed, 4x4). I double checked my door sticker today and my gut dropped - the numbers for my specific truck are actually only 1142 lbs (stupid moonroof and other Lariat add-ons, not including the spray-in bed liner and tanoe cover I added after market...). My wife, myself and our daughter + some basic cargo in the truck would be around 400 lbs. I was looking at a Hensley weight distributing hitch that weighs around 200 lbs. That would only leave 542 lbs of remaining payload which is less than the dry hitch weight of the 2500RL (581 lbs which I'm sure would be higher with propane, batteries and a light load of food and clothing). I'm fairly certain the 2500RL is now out of reach. Can my truck safely pull anything? Even a 16' Airstream Bambi has a hitch weight of 490 lbs which would be cutting it close (its wet bath and lack of food carrying capacity and storage would have cut it from the list anyway). Unfortunately a new truck is not in the budget. Sadly I think a travel trailer of any sort no longer is either. Just wanted to check with those more experienced if I'm missing anything.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem with a 2011 F150 and a 2021 Imagine 2500RL. I ended up biting the bullit and getting a new F150. I test drove a F250, I decided it was more truck than I needed or wanted for non rving use. My truck capacity is a healthy 2066. There is no way I would pull a 2500 RL with your truck. I am sure that there are others who would.

A 27 foot Airstream weighs and has about the same tongue weight as the 2500 RL. The best option I had with my original truck was an Apex by Coachman. They make some really light RV’s, but I have no knowledge of their quality. You can find negative comments on every brand. People complain when things are not what they expected. Since good RV quality is what most people expect they rarely write positive post.
    BigSam
    2021 Imagine 2500 RL
    2020 F150 SuperCab FX4 6.5 Bed 5.0L Engine
    Carry Cap 2066# Tow Cap 9100# Truck 7050# GWVR

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I applaud you for doing the research, and understanding payload and the real capabilities of your truck, not many people do. Saying that, many people have had to look at smaller trailers, or bigger trucks due to seeing what the actual numbers were, not the marketing hype that the companies put out to sell vehicles.

A number of years ago, I bought a 3/4 ton diesel pickup truck with the intention of towing a 5th wheel toy hauler. After I had the truck, researching the numbers, I found out I could not tow any of the ones I wanted, and ended up with a hitch tow toy hauler (less weight on truck).
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are plenty of trailers to buy that your truck can easily handle
    I personally would never choose one with rear living or rear kitchens. They tow poorly
    Will you be over payload? Likely
    I would have no issue travelling locally (3 hours) to camp with your truck
    There are hybrids and smaller travel trailers that will comfortably fit 3 people
    And skip the Hensley. There are plenty of hitches that perform just as well. Sway is a result of poor load distribution. Load your trailer properly and you will avoid any chance of sway
    Your truck will not self destruct going over payload

But the decision is ultimately on you

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a guy I worked with years ago who bought a travel trailer he thought his F150 would easily tow. It was well within the truck's tow ratings, but after towing the trailer for any distance, he reaiized he should have bought a 3/4 ton truck. It is always better to have a bit more truck than more trailer. But if your are dead set on keeping the F150, then look at your towing equipment then look at getting a good load leveing hitch and some anti-way bars. I have used Curt LLHs for years on different trailers and they work well, improving the towing ability of the truck, and are reasonably priced. Also, if you are a little bit handy, they are fairly easy to install.
    TexSon
    San Antonio, Tx
    2021 Reflections 315RLTS
    2020 Silverado HD3500 Durmax

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGT2010 View Post
    I have a 2012 Ford F-150 ecoboost and have been shopping for an Imagine 2500RL trailer. I'm currently researching my tow vehicle capacity and had been going by the book value for payload (1520 lbs for my model - 145" wheelbase, super crew, 5.5" bed, 4x4). I double checked my door sticker today and my gut dropped - the numbers for my specific truck are actually only 1142 lbs (stupid moonroof and other Lariat add-ons, not including the spray-in bed liner and tanoe cover I added after market...). My wife, myself and our daughter + some basic cargo in the truck would be around 400 lbs. I was looking at a Hensley weight distributing hitch that weighs around 200 lbs. That would only leave 542 lbs of remaining payload which is less than the dry hitch weight of the 2500RL (581 lbs which I'm sure would be higher with propane, batteries and a light load of food and clothing). I'm fairly certain the 2500RL is now out of reach. Can my truck safely pull anything? Even a 16' Airstream Bambi has a hitch weight of 490 lbs which would be cutting it close (its wet bath and lack of food carrying capacity and storage would have cut it from the list anyway). Unfortunately a new truck is not in the budget. Sadly I think a travel trailer of any sort no longer is either. Just wanted to check with those more experienced if I'm missing anything.
    Change trucks, pick the trailer that fits your family's needs. Blessings, Frank. (proud member of the 3 truck club)
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Change trucks, pick the trailer that fits your family's needs. Blessings, Frank. (proud member of the 3 truck club)
    I'm a member of the 2 truck club and WOW what a difference it makes!!! My vote is more truck. Best of luck on your decision!!!
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1142 - 110 lbs (add ons) - 100 lbs (WDH such as the Equalizer) - 400 lbs (people and stuff - if you could put the stuff in the trailer that would be better for your numbers) = 532 lbs for tongue weight.

Awesome job doing your research first. You could still pull something. Is taking a second car an option? That in theory could net you a couple hundred extra lbs.

I would be looking at trailers with a GVWR of around 4,000 lbs. To me that means R-Pod, or pop up style in the 20ft range, but I don't know what all is out there.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't over emphasize the need to run your numbers and then add some safely margin in there. We started with a pop-up when our kids were small and now that their grown and have their own families we've purchased our last trailer (#5) for just Mom and Dad. Funny how they still seem to show up where ever we're camping from time to time. At points in our travels, they wanted to bring their friends and it always seems the trip gets bigger and the load heavier. The last thing you want is a white knuckle trip on what's supposed to be a "vacation". Unfortunately the used truck market is bleak right now (new truck prices are even more insane) so you'll have to either wait till it returns to normal or step up your vigilance in looking for a "deal" you can live with.

Good luck in your future travels.
    2020 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke SB
    2021 GD Solitude S 2930RL-R (trailer#5)
    Married father of 4 (3 sons 1 daughter) Two Eagle Scouts
    Navy Veteran - InfoSec Examiner/Auditor in the financial industry

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im sure you will see after the research that you did that many of the 1/2 tons aren’t equipped to tow anything substantial. An rv over 25 foot requires a pretty heavy truck. A 3/4 ton gas or diesel will never let you down if you plan to stick with a bumper pull. You can find 1/2 tons that will fit the bill. In the current market the 1 tons are almost non-existent. I would upgrade that 2012 to a bigger truck and then get the camper that fits you. Or you will just be looking to upgrade again.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast