User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Left The Driveway
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    HELP - GFCI Pedestal outlet tripping with my Solitude

    I need some help understanding why my 20amp GFCI pedestal outlet is tripping when I plug in my 2021 Solitude for storage. This is what is happening. I have been able to keep my old Forest River fw plugged in on this pedestal with a good quality 12ga 100ft extension cord to maintain the batteries etc while in storage without any problem. Now I buy a new Solitude 3550BH with residential fridge (just like old fw) and i've tried plugging in to the same pedestal, no other loads plugged in and the GFCI will trip after about 30seconds. I have a Watchdog EMS hardwired into the Solitude, in my old FR, I had a Progressive Industry EMS hardwired, not sure if the Watchdog is sending a signal to trip the GFI? I've checked the GFI with an outlet tester and it shows its wired correctly. The GFI will hold long enough for me to get a reading from my Watchdog that the electrical draw is only about 3amps, so definitely below the 20amps. I've purchased a new 12ga 50ft extension cord to account for possible distance with no different result. I have run the camper off my portable generator which I use adapters so the plug connection is a common 15amp 3prong outlet with no issues and have had one A/C running. I have made sure the electric water heater is off and any other possible high draw loads and no change.

    If I can't figure this out I will probably end up installing some form of solar battery tender device but its frustrating when my old camper had no issues and now my Solitude doesn't like the GFI.

    Thoughts?? Thanks.
    2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW SB Duramax
    2021 Solitude 3550BH
    Reese Goosebox Gen2 20K

  2. #2
    Site Team Ynot4me2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    ON & QC Canada
    Posts
    1,916
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the same issue when you plugged else where? It might just be that GFI that's to sensitive. I'd try replacing it and see.

    Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

  3. #3
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    1,198
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Household refrigerators often cause GFCI tripping. Try plugging the RV in with the refrigerator unplugged and see how it behaves.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

  4. #4
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GFI trip on current leakage, not load increases. That's what your trailer breakers are for. If it trips with a particular appliance, it still does not mean there is an issue with the appliance, the GFI is just sensitive to something in that appliance.
    Replace your pedestal breaker with a non-GFI one. It's not needed. There is a reason you do not see GFIs in campground pedestals.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

  5. #5
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Viera, Fl
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryi View Post
    I need some help understanding why my 20amp GFCI pedestal outlet is tripping when I plug in my 2021 Solitude for storage. This is what is happening. I have been able to keep my old Forest River fw plugged in on this pedestal with a good quality 12ga 100ft extension cord to maintain the batteries etc while in storage without any problem. Now I buy a new Solitude 3550BH with residential fridge (just like old fw) and i've tried plugging in to the same pedestal, no other loads plugged in and the GFCI will trip after about 30seconds. I have a Watchdog EMS hardwired into the Solitude, in my old FR, I had a Progressive Industry EMS hardwired, not sure if the Watchdog is sending a signal to trip the GFI? I've checked the GFI with an outlet tester and it shows its wired correctly. The GFI will hold long enough for me to get a reading from my Watchdog that the electrical draw is only about 3amps, so definitely below the 20amps. I've purchased a new 12ga 50ft extension cord to account for possible distance with no different result. I have run the camper off my portable generator which I use adapters so the plug connection is a common 15amp 3prong outlet with no issues and have had one A/C running. I have made sure the electric water heater is off and any other possible high draw loads and no change.

    If I can't figure this out I will probably end up installing some form of solar battery tender device but its frustrating when my old camper had no issues and now my Solitude doesn't like the GFI.

    Thoughts?? Thanks.
    It is possible that your too much load on the breaker. In our storage area, one GFI duplex power several RVs. If anyone leaves their refrigerator on, the GFI pops. Storage management is using the GFI as a poop man's load regulator. I personally would replace the GFI breaker on the pedestal with a non-GFI breaker.
    Last edited by wjpatter; 05-24-2021 at 06:35 AM.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

  6. #6
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    1,198
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpatter View Post
    It is possible that your too much load on the breaker. I our storage area, one GFI duplex power several RVs. If anyone leaves their refrigerator on, the GFI pops. Storage management is using the GFI as a poop man's load regulator. I personally would replace the GFI breaker on the pedestal with a non-GFI breaker.
    A GFCI does not care even a tiny bit how much current is flowing. It will not trip because of over current.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

  7. #7
    Left The Driveway
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only cord plugged in is my extension cord, its my property. I have two separate GFIs outlets on the breaker and both outlets react the same. I think they would be wired in parallel because if one trips, it does not affect the other outlet. I will have to try turning off the breaker in the camper that the refrigerator is on to see if that could be the culprit. Thanks for the feedback and ideas.
    2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW SB Duramax
    2021 Solitude 3550BH
    Reese Goosebox Gen2 20K

  8. #8
    Site Team traveldawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Florida Space Coast
    Posts
    1,805
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems to happen a lot. Others have experienced it when at home. Sometimes it's their extension cord; sometimes it's their house wiring. 100' of 12 gauge might be a stretch depending on the current you're pulling at the camper (I think it's good for maybe 15 amps); so maybe a 10 gauge is in order. Don't forget, the converter is probably pulling a good bit of current when first plugged in. But I'm not sure if a big current draw would cause a GFCI to trip or not.

    Some of these links might help:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...er-Gfci-issues

    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...065&viewfull=1

    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ip-help-please

    You can probably find more. If you use google for a search engine search this (without the brackets)... [mygrandrv.com "gfci" "trips"]
    Last edited by traveldawg; 05-23-2021 at 04:15 PM.
    Larry
    2018 F350 SRW SB - AirLift 5000 w/Wireless One; ForScan; 37gal RDS Fuel Tank; Demco Hikacker
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde SRE4000; Disc Brakes (StopYourTrailer.com); Electric Cord Reel


  9. #9
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A GFI will not trip on current draw. The GFI circuit breakers, yes, but not the outlets. Some marinas use GFI breakers in their pedestals and they can be a real PITA.
    House wiring will not cause a trip either. The fault has to be downstream from the GFI outlet.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

  10. #10
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Viera, Fl
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    A GFCI does not care even a tiny bit how much current is flowing. It will not trip because of over current.
    I understand the theory. I understand how GFCI circuits operate. I can give you my experience and you can process it any way you like. 2 RV's plugged with one resident refrigerator running trips the GFI duplex circuit. When 4 RV's are plugged into the post, the 20 breaker in the office occasionally trips. My experience is GFCI circuits cause more problems than they solve.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.