User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch Out For Trees

We're just back from an 83 day, 6,000 mile round trip from AZ to FL and back. I'll bore ya'll with those details in another post. Anyway, we had the pleasure of spending a couple of nights at Indian Creek campground in Louisiana. Beautiful place, though a bit tight for larger rigs.

On our 2nd day there, it was sprinkling in the morning, so I put the large awning out over the side patio on the 399th. Around 10am it seemed the world was crashing down around us, as the awning folded in on itself on the left side facing the coach.

It turns out that a 60lb tree branch decided to break away from the trunk, and fall about 80 feet, directly on the Idler arm assembly. It collapsed the left side of the awning, but didn't touch us, though we were both sitting on the deck when it happened. Nobody hurt, unless you count my heart stopping for a few seconds while my brain tried to assess what just happened.

I got a couple of park staff to help me get the awning stowed. Great people, and tremendously helpful! We never would have been able to stow it ourselves.

No damage to the motor, fabric or roller spring. The pitch control strut was sheared in 2. Somehow the outboard idler cover disappeared. Never did find it. It may have blown off in transit somewhere before this, and I never noticed. Not sure if the main arm assembly was damaged. Can't tell for sure until I roll it back out again. I'm not doing that until the replacement parts come in. It's at least a 2 person job. I just ordered everything that might have broken in terms of structural parts. That came to about $650, plus shipping. Not as bad as it might have been. Unfortunately, the parts are anywhere from 15-30 working days out, according to Carefree, so no shade probably until the end of June.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210503_110616.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	34320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210503_110712.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	34321

EDIT: photo problem solved.
    Last edited by Chuck.N; 05-23-2021 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added Photos

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OUCH, I might have left some stains on the deck. Sounds like you handled it well and kudos to the people that helped you out. This could have been much worse
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    OUCH, I might have left some stains on the deck. Sounds like you handled it well and kudos to the people that helped you out. This could have been much worse
    Yeah, it could have been much worse. My jockey shorts didn't survive the event.🤣🤣🤣
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 MC DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trees happen. I have several good tree stories so I understand what happened. Glad the damage was minimal. If you take the mounting off the wall of the RV be sure to put sealant on when you put it back together.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Trees happen. I have several good tree stories so I understand what happened. Glad the damage was minimal. If you take the mounting off the wall of the RV be sure to put sealant on when you put it back together.
    I don't think the wall channel needs to come off, assuming the new arm fits in it. I'll leave that decision to the tech. If it needs replacement, we'll seal it.
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 MC DRW