Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Toilet Paper?

Hi Folks. Since we are new to owning our own 5th (it has been 30+ yrs since we've owned/pulled TT) I'm checking to see if "camping" toilet paper is necessity in your Reflections? Our friends who we've traveled w/in their MH told us that with chemicals, they can use regular toilet paper (EXCEPT NO CHARMIN). When the dealer called last Saturday to tell us our 337 had arrived, I explained that it would be the end of the month until after G-Daddy has time to finish up after income tax season before we can get down to pick it up.
    While Gerald has been doing taxes for 3 1/2 months, I've been doing shopping to stock our 5th. This is the one subj I've not found anything to read about, although not very pleasant reading, so I thought I would toss it out to fellow GD owners. Also, if you know of any web sites where I can go check out such specifics, please let me know ,

Thanks,
    Brenda B

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I do not use RV 1-ply TP. Chemicals or not I have found the biggest impact on black water tank maintenance is keeping at least 1/3 to 1/2 tank of fresh water in the tank before use. We use regular household TP we get from Costco. After I drain and flush for at least 10 minutes (I know that sounds like a long time but if you use a clear elbow at the drain you will see that even when you think the tank is drained, you will still get some solids after a few minutes) then I refill the tank to 1/3 to 1/2 full with fresh water. Then I add an ounce or so of chemical to a full toilet bowl of water and flush. The chemicals are really only useful as a deodorant and may help in the break down of tissue. This has been good for us for many years and we've never had a blockage or anything else. Oh, and resist draining your black water tank all the time. It works better when full. The more liquid in there, the better it maintains and flushes when the time comes. We dump our black water waste only once a week if that.

A lot of people will tell you they don't use ANY TP in there toilet! Good for them but I have a self-contained unit so I can live just like I do at home and I don't want stinky, dirty TP in a can next to the toilet thank you very much
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Steve and Lynne
    We have done fine over our past year of travels with TP bought at the local Kroger or Wal-Mart, the bargain stuff, single or 2 ply. I use quality chemicals to treat the tank, currently using a brand called Walex, bought at a RV dealer in Dallas area, 1/2 gallon about $22.00. They say 4 oz. mixed with water. The last time I put in 6 oz. and discharge was cleaner and faster. At that concentration, a bottle will last 6 full black tanks, so about $3.50 per tank. Not bad.
    As far as websites, rv.net is extremely popular and covers tons of subjects, hooked in with Good Sam and Camping World, Escapees is also an excellent source. Welcome back to adventures. You will find this site and GD owners a wonderful resource for help!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We buy TP from sams club and all is well, like earlier posts, the trick is to add water in the tank. I typically run a few gallons into it after dumping, and let it slosh around while going up the road.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Poppy......we agree!!!! After all, isn't spending time in a GD 5th after a day of adventures supposed to be just as relaxing & enjoyable as being in brick/mortar home?

Steve & Lynne, I can just picture Storm. We also have a Lab but our blond Maggie won't be traveling with us. Instead, she has a wonderful sitter who comes to see her whenever we will be gone overnight. Only our CeCe will be in the back seat or on Gramma's lap, with her head on her pretty little baby pillow.

Brenda B

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the TP & black water suggestions........I'm sure you will all understand if I think these posts must be intended for Gerald!!!!!!

Brenda

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Poppy,

You and I agree on almost everything . . . but not this one ! I come from 60 years on boats . . . and the rule has always been "if you didn't eat it . . . don't put it in the head (toilet) ! " So, once you have a different disposal plan for the TP, you can use as many ply product as you want. We travel with a cat, so have a sealed storage plan for the cat litter. http://www.litterlocker.com/foxycart/shop_en.php
    Anything else goes in there and there are no odours.
    BTW, I completely agree that the "solution" to black tank problems is lots of water to dissolve stuff. I put 10 gallons (thats 10 full bowl fills) of water into the black tank after dumping and we are still good for over two weeks.
    Good discussion on something we all deal with !

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Poppy,

We travel with a cat, so have a sealed storage plan for the cat litter. http://www.litterlocker.com/foxycart/shop_en.php Anything else goes in there and there are no odours.
    Rob
    Hey Rob, I'm definitely open to new things and agree that a black tank with no TP may empty easier so I checked that out and while I can see dropping little balls of kitty poop/litter in there easily but I have a hard time imagining dropping used TP in there. As I look at the demo, the top section of the bag that accepts the fresh litter is relatively small. After dropping the scoop in you close the lid and open the handle which allows the litter clump to drop down into the bag and then you push the handle closed again awaiting the next clump. I just can't picture it working well with TP! TP isn't a nice firm ball. It seems as though you would have to use your hand to press the used TP into the top bag section. Yikes, I don't think I could see messing with that. Am I thinking too much? And does it sit right next to the toilet?
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use regular scotts and it goes in the tank! My philosophy is if I wouldn't eat then it gets flushed LOL. You will find that most TP breaks down faster than solid waste, depending on your diet. Corn will still be there in a 100 years but I'm not plucking it out because it wont break down in my tank!

I'm with Poppy. I was raised on boats too and ex navy. The only place I have seen TP kept out is European nations and 3rd world countries. Most of the time the reasoning is to cut back on the bulk of solids. I don't fill it as much as Poppy but after dumping and flushing the black tank Ill add the chemical as a deodorizer and about 10 gallons of water and wont dump the black tank until its at least 2/3 full unless its going to be sitting for awhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We found that the 1 ply Great Value TP from Walmart is cheap and works really well. It dissolves nicely. If you have ever had to deal with a TP clog in you sewer line you will never go back to household TP. We like the Great Value and now use it at our home as we have a septic tank and it has got to be better than these 2ply thick TPs out there. Just my two cents worth. Happy Camping!
    Kamper
    Johnny & Mary
    Henderson, NC 4 Now
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab High Country
    24K Pullrite ISR 5th Wheel Hitch with Super Rails

:cool:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast