User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installed an extra 20 gallons of fuel.

I installed my new RDS 20 gallon auxiliary fuel tank. The PO had a fuel tank so the truck was plumbed already with a solenoid valve, and switch on the dash. All I did was install a ball valve on the tank, an inline filter, and new hoses. Pretty simple job, all in all. It fits under the toolbox perfectly and takes up no bed space. And keeps things from ending up under the toolbox out of reach. That 32 gallon tank was a little small when towing something heavy. So 50+ gallons should relieve any fuel anxiety.

And picked up a cheap wireless battery powered camera that connects to my phone, for easier hitching at an angle. I don't have any problems backing straight back, but the toolbox blocks any view of the hitch head, so angling in can be a bit problematical. The camera works very well for that.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    And picked up a cheap wireless battery powered camera that connects to my phone, for easier hitching at an angle. I don't have any problems backing straight back, but the toolbox blocks any view of the hitch head, so angling in can be a bit problematical. The camera works very well for that.
    Easier hitching is a good thing I put a mirror above my pinbox which really helps.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a mirror a couple times, but couldn't really find one that worked for me. But, honestly, I don't think I did enough research.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 gallons is huge! I added a new in board tank to alleviate the same thing. My tank was 36 gallons, and the replacement S&B is 62 gallons. Makes a world of difference!

Glad you got that working! It’s going to really extend your range when towing!

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, I had a 35 gallon auxiliary tank on the last truck, but didn't really think I would need it with this truck. We don't travel the distances we used to, but the new-to-us truck doesn't get the mileage the old one got either.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a 55 gal Titan installed. Last trip to SD with 32 gal was close to running out twice. Much better this trip to SD with 55 - more options. Need that when long climbs knock MPG down to 7.......yikes!

Like the mirror idea because my folding tonneau blocks cargo camera when I try to get ball aligned.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I join in on this topic? LOL.....My Dually has a 37 1/2 gallon tank onboard, and I added an all aluminum RDS 60 gallon "L" shaped tank last year. Since you are not supposed to fill it completely (they tell you no more than 95% to allow for expansion), I usually get about 56 or 57 gallons in it. So, when I leave home, if I need the fuel capacity, I now have ~95 gallons. I never run the main tank lower than 1/4 though, so I've still got about 83/83 gallons of useable fuel onboard. I did the gravity feed on this one, plus I have a 12V FlowRite fuel pump on the aux. tank. I moved it over from my previous tank (steel tank and started rusting) because I already had it and all the wiring/switches in place...so it just made sense.

Last year on our trip out west, I had one day that was right at 480 miles.....and didn't need to stop for fuel. So we would get in the campground, get setup, then I'd go and fill up at the nearest fueling stating....Without the trailer. That opens up a lot more choices for fueling when you don't have the trailer to try and get in there too.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always loved not having to stop at truck stops for fuel, or try to get into some smaller station with diesel pumps, when off the interstate. I had a 12V transfer pump from the auxiliary tank, so we would stop at rest stops, parks, or some such and transfer fuel. Truck stops are usually dirty, noisy, smelly, and crowded. It's great to be able to avoid them.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I previously ran the auxiliary bed tanks, but found them, personally, to be more chore than benefit. Granted, my prior were very large, and it was always a matter of remembering the biocide, changing the filter frequently, and battling the moisture from condensation. Took up too much room, even when I had a custom unit that I still could slide sheet materials under. Payload hits were no joke either, but our campers were lighter. For the current TV, I went with an S&B replacement (fits like a glove) doubling our range. This is still important when running through long Dakota/Wyoming/etc. stretches where you don't know if the with will rocker you up to double-digit mileage and push you down to low singles. We have fought headwinds resulting in 4-5 mpg! When I find very low price diesel or Nikki is concerned about the distance versus capacity, I've got a 5 gallon carry can in a hold bracket in the bed. Anyone else in RAM considering and not happy that the EVIC cannot be reprogrammed to correct the miles to empty with the big tank, I'm part dinosaur and still run a ScanGuage, which can be taught to do this.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installed an extra 20 gallons of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I previously ran the auxiliary bed tanks, but found them, personally, to be more chore than benefit. Granted, my prior were very large, and it was always a matter of remembering the biocide, changing the filter frequently, and battling the moisture from condensation. Took up too much room, even when I had a custom unit that I still could slide sheet materials under. Payload hits were no joke either, but our campers were lighter. For the current TV, I went with an S&B replacement (fits like a glove) doubling our range. This is still important when running through long Dakota/Wyoming/etc. stretches where you don't know if the with will rocker you up to double-digit mileage and push you down to low singles. We have fought headwinds resulting in 4-5 mpg! When I find very low price diesel or Nikki is concerned about the distance versus capacity, I've got a 5 gallon carry can in a hold bracket in the bed. Anyone else in RAM considering and not happy that the EVIC cannot be reprogrammed to correct the miles to empty with the big tank, I'm part dinosaur and still run a ScanGuage, which can be taught to do this.
    I hear you about the reprogramming. On my GMC the DTE is also not able to be updated so it is always wrong, that bugs me, but not enough to outweigh the extra onboard fuel.
    I just put fuel in my truck yesterday after filling up in St. George, UT 650 miles ago. Had about a quarter tank still. Half of that mileage was towing.

I think the on-board tanks are a nice compromise. Just keep it full…[emoji15]…lol

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast