User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to thank all of you for keeping this discussion civil. There are different perspectives on the issue of obtaining a reservation. Style and type of camping can also bring about heated discussion where no one is right or wrong, just different.

As a 10 year full time camper, and 55 year camper, I can attest that things are different now than say 1985. Good, bad, to me its a matter of perspective and attitude.

As a campground host I get to see the full gamet of camping choices. I see destitute car campers just trying to survive. Young folks, much like I was at that age, on great adventures against the adversities of living in the wild, foreigners (please don't beat me up on this phrase, it is not ill intended nor intended to be disrespectful, mostly it refers to folks that I don't think grew up camping), millionaires in their $550k+ mega campers. My take on the whole thing; I am very happy to see folks traveling and exploring, it's one of the things in life that brings enrichment and fulfillment. The key is not to judge or condescend. Although sometimes it's a little bit of a struggle.

You have to admire the struggles it takes to go camping. I.E. couple checked into a tent site 3 from us, on our camphost rounds I noticed them trying to build a campfire. I have to admit seeing a person in heels, rubbery looking pink pants, green jacket, and purple hair trying to build a fire with 4" logs and a roll of toilet paper, it will get your attention. I did the camphost thing and asked if they were ok, they said they were having a little trouble with the campfire. I spent 30 minutes splitting wood and making kindling, then showed them how to get the toilet paper to burn, fire going I left. Next round they were roasting something over the fire, I didn't get close enough to see.

Bottom line = Don't fret about what others are doing, enjoy the outdoors, endure the hardships it takes to get there, others have. Be kind and understanding to your neighbor. And when you can't stand the ************** next to you find the camphost and let them know, we have friends with guns and badges.

Safe Travels...
    Last edited by D2Reid; 06-11-2021 at 11:12 PM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woods'nWater View Post
    We don't call it full-timing because we worked 50 years to earn this privilege. We wanted to be Nomadic Retirees. Now that the time has come we are holding off on selling the house. Why? Because the road is full of 1) homeless 2) young van-dwellers 3) digital nomads and 4) boomers like ourselves wanting to travel. Don't know if I'm jealous, sadden, envious or angry that we are being pushed out of our travel experiences we waited a life time to happen. So many family's on the road doing virtual learning because of Covid. So many homeless just parked and staying in their vehicle all day taking up boondocking spots we could be enjoying. So many more RV's on the road, period. The National Parks are seeing record visits. Loud mouths are giving away secluded spots via Free Campsites, iOverland or Campedium. Weekends are impossible to book earlier than ever now and doesn't let up until the snow flies. I'm happy people are enjoying the great outdoors but I feel cheated. How about you?
    Wow... I'm sensing a bit of everything here - anger, sadness and jealousy, and a bit of self pity. But not cheating.

We've all heard this before ==> the only constant is change. So those that can change and adapt make the best of things and those that don't get muddled down in self pity. Please don't let this happen to you.

We're all going through this together - having to reserve in advance, "dance" around the weekenders and having to plan more and more. Consider this.... even the folks traveling by car and air have the same issues - making reservations, etc. So this business of crowding is not limited to just campers. And it isn't going to get better soon, if ever. So, please, don't get bogged down and stay home.

We've been at this for about 35 years now. So, yeh, things have changed. The biggest changes as far as scheduling do seem to have occurred in the last 5 or so years tho (having to schedule more).

Two years ago we ran into the need for more planning. As it was for remote places in Wyoming it caught us by surprise. We were still able to ramble and see what we wanted to see. We just had to make some adjustments in the order of seeing things and learned to so a bit more planning.

Fast forward to now and we've planned EVERY stop from March 8th to August 23rd. But part of the fun was the planning over the winter (and last summer when stuck at home). We originally left open July and most of August hoping Canada would open; it hasn't so we made alternative plans. We are still rambling although it isn't so spontaneous, we are still able to see everything we want to see. But it is taking a bit more energy/planning.

If you think this year is bad, wait until next year when the international travelers come back. They'll all be in their rented RVs and staying at places large companies reserve for them in advance further filling campgrounds and our National Parks. And those 60 passenger busses will start showing up again at all the popular spots. Not even the park ranges we've talked to are looking forward to that.

And speaking of National Parks - no more just driving up and getting in. More-and-more of them require passes and limit entry now. I don't see that changing much either.

sorry - long ramble. Just hoping you might be able to adjust your feelings toward all this and get out there and enjoy things your way while working around some new limitations. It can be done. But you probably aren't going to just "ramble" 'willie-nilly' like those folks trying to live out of vans, trucks and cars - which hardly seems like a nice life style.

A few final thoughts.... and a bit of a rant...... IMO social media has absolutly ruined spontaneity and exposed a lot of nice secluded locations; most people posting on social media do it as an income generating activity, so they don't care; their intent is to try to live on the road using social media as an income, if you avoid them then it deprives them as one more 'hit' and one more penny - stay away from a lot of them if it bothers you.

one final, final thought - keep your bricks and sticks as a private spot to return to so you can unwind and plan some more.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12