User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General Questions

I realize most or all of these questions have been asked and answered. I am only posting to get all my questions asked and answered in a single thread. I am sure I will have more questions based on responses. We are heading west at the end of June and need to finish planning the trip. Any information would be appreciated.

RV: 2020 Solitude 380FL
    TV: 2021 Ford F350 DRW

(1) What is the max safe angle front-back and side-side where I can open my slides. My hope is to leave the RV connected to the TV over night.
    (2) Specs say that height is 13'5''. I could have sworn that I passed under bridges much lower than that height on our last trip north. What is the min height you have done?
    (3) Do you evenly distribute your gear weight in front and behind the axles or place most of the weight in one area?
    (4) What is your opinion on using a tripod for additional stability?
    (5) What is your opinion on the wheels being off the ground?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) What is the max safe angle front-back and side-side where I can open my slides. My hope is to leave the RV connected to the TV over night.

I only do this when level. On past RVs I didnt and the slide ended up making weird noises after that...my personal preference, others will say it doesnt matter.

(2) Specs say that height is 13'5''. I could have sworn that I passed under bridges much lower than that height on our last trip north. What is the min height you have done?

It's best if you measure your rig once hooked up and on level ground. Measure from the highest point.

(3) Do you evenly distribute your gear weight in front and behind the axles or place most of the weight in one area?

I just load our stuff where it can go, i dont focus too much on before or after axles.

If you have a cushioned pin box it is probably a waste. We lived in our Momentum for 3 years and never even considered it, I dont think it is needed.

Doesnt bother me, this one will also have mixed opinions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 05-24-2021 at 07:25 AM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (1) What is the max safe angle front-back and side-side where I can open my slides. My hope is to leave the RV connected to the TV over night.Will defer to others; I've always leveled first.
    (2) Specs say that height is 13'5''. I could have sworn that I passed under bridges much lower than that height on our last trip north. What is the min height you have done? This one is scary... As mentioned, MEASURE... or, just assume max DOT height of 13' 6" I won't even consider an overpass that is less than 13'6".
    (3) Do you evenly distribute your gear weight in front and behind the axles or place most of the weight in one area? ​No, load for convenience. I have gone over the scales on a couple occasions just to be sure I'm within parameters. I'm close with a SRW truck.
    (4) What is your opinion on using a tripod for additional stability? Never used one, however, I've used JT Strong arms and another brand of stabilizers, these make a BIG difference. Highly recommend.
    (5) What is your opinion on the wheels being off the ground? That's a bit more stress on the frame. I try to get things close to level (side to side) using blocks if it is off significantly, that helps prevent wheels off the ground.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hduncan View Post
    I realize most or all of these questions have been asked and answered. I am only posting to get all my questions asked and answered in a single thread. I am sure I will have more questions based on responses. We are heading west at the end of June and need to finish planning the trip. Any information would be appreciated.

RV: 2020 Solitude 380FL
    TV: 2021 Ford F350 DRW

(1) What is the max safe angle front-back and side-side where I can open my slides. My hope is to leave the RV connected to the TV over night.
    Don't know what the max angle would be or how you could measure it but I have done that very thing often as long as its not way out of whack. My slides make funny noises but they have done that since day one. Mine sits at home just on the front jacks and eyeball level front to back. But I know my pad is relatively flat side to side just pitched front to back. I wouldn't do that at an unknown spot, if the ground is twisted the unit would be twisted. sitting on the truck should be on 3 points it should be relatively square just maybe not level.

I would imagine its real close to that if not higher.

Wherever it fits

Never used one

Doesn't bother me in the least
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 cents. . .
    (1) I would not deploy the slides unless the unit is level. It's possible to get it level while still connected to the TV by dropping the jacks manually.
    (2) I measured our unit to be 13'5" to the top of the AC. There's one overpass on interstate 95 here in southern RI that has a sign on it saying 13'9" that gets my attention. Actually anything under 14' gets my attention but in all honestly, around here I'm more concerned about low hanging tree branches. We try to not travel on unknown routes in the dark mostly because of the trees.
    (3) You'll want to weigh your unit eventually to see where you're at. We did and didn't have to move anything around.
    (4) We don't see a need for a tripod. I've read about others who say it's helpful if you have a washer/dryer up front.
    (5) I would not park w/ the wheels lifted. I check side to side level w/ a bubble leveler before disconnecting. If it looks like it might be far off, I'll place a board or two under tires on that side (I think it helps a little w/ stability - or maybe just peace of mind).
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone