User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small crack in fiberglass under door handle - temporary solution until body shop?

Hi All-
    Replaced my door latch with a new RV lock this weekend on my new 31mb. When I was installing, I noticed a small crack (1 in) in the door that was previously covered by the old door handle and is now partially exposed. My dealer is backed up for a while, so am wondering if just a little white duct tape is a satisfactory solve until they can repair. Any concerns with that?
    Thanks,
    Ted.
    2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD SRV 6.6 Gas
    2021 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am by no means a fiberglass expert, so please dont follow my suggestion blindly without other research. I wonder if it's a good idea to drill a tiny hole at the end of the crack to prevent it from spreading. Some type of waterproof tape as you suggested might be good, might want to do a test somewhere first to make sure it doesnt leave behind a residue on your door.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDog View Post
    Hi All-
    Replaced my door latch with a new RV lock this weekend on my new 31mb. When I was installing, I noticed a small crack (1 in) in the door that was previously covered by the old door handle and is now partially exposed. My dealer is backed up for a while, so am wondering if just a little white duct tape is a satisfactory solve until they can repair. Any concerns with that?
    Thanks,
    Ted.
    Is it a crack in the fiberglass itself or just on the surface of the gel coat? If it’s the gel coat, I would not worry about covering it. Just keep an eye on it. If the fiberglass is cracked, a piece of tape will make it pretty but won’t keep the crack from getting bigger if whatever caused the crack is still straining the fiberglass.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're under warranty, the dealer will just replace the door, so up to you in such case. If not under warranty, it can be fixed and you have gotten good advice on drilling the crack to cut the stress riser so it doesn't grow.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania