User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crossing New York state

I'm heading to Portland Maine after the fourth of July. While the trip actually starts in Fort Worth Texas, I need to stop outside of Chicago for a few days. I'm going to pass through Elkhart to do a factory tour, then follow I90 past Cleveland and visit old haunts from my youth in the previous century.

So new adventure planning starts with Cleveland. We might go to Niagara Falls, but we've been there before.

I am thinking we are going to stay on I90 until Buffalo, then head east on 20 to Albany. Around Albany we'll connect to 7 & 9 to cross Vermont & New Hampshire eventually pick up 202 into Portland. Does anybody have any experience with these roads? Good things, great things or bad things? I have roughly ten days to cover 700 miles but I'd like to keep it to about seven.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm familiar with I90 from Cleveland to Buffalo. The road is mostly OK but some construction work here and there. Nothing major. Generally the road is in good shape with some areas that need work. If time is an issue, why not just take I90 to Albany? Tolls will make you swallow hard but it's much faster than going Rt. 20 with all the little towns and villages, traffic lights and lower speed limits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I phrased it badly.
    I have a week to ten days to travel 700 miles from Cleveland to Portland (70 - 100 mile per day average), so I have no need for interstate speed. I intend spending some time in the finger lakes region, then drifting east to Maine. I can do web research to find places to visit and see, but insights from like minded people who have been there is so much better.

I'm thinking I'll lean toward Harvest Host campsites, then ACE campgrounds, State Parks, and Walmarts, etc. in that order. RV parks are usually our last resort.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a member of Harvest Hosts so I can't help you there but Four Mile Creek State park is a really nice campground. It's 10 minutes from Old Fort Niagara and 20 minutes from Niagara Falls. You get free parking at Niagara Falls as it's part of the State Park system.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letchworth state park, even if you can’t stay there is worth the stop.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Sheryl View Post
    I'm heading to Portland Maine after the fourth of July. While the trip actually starts in Fort Worth Texas, I need to stop outside of Chicago for a few days. I'm going to pass through Elkhart to do a factory tour, then follow I90 past Cleveland and visit old haunts from my youth in the previous century.

So new adventure planning starts with Cleveland. We might go to Niagara Falls, but we've been there before.

I am thinking we are going to stay on I90 until Buffalo, then head east on 20 to Albany. Around Albany we'll connect to 7 & 9 to cross Vermont & New Hampshire eventually pick up 202 into Portland. Does anybody have any experience with these roads? Good things, great things or bad things? I have roughly ten days to cover 700 miles but I'd like to keep it to about seven.
    US Route 20 was one of the first coast to coast highways. I've towed between Syracuse and Richfield Springs. Good roads, mostly 4 lanes but was surprised to find stretches with 2 lanes. Still easy driving. I would check out the wine country around the Finger lakes, spend some time in Skaneateles and detour to Cooperstown to see the Baseball Hall of Fame.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    I'm not a member of Harvest Hosts so I can't help you there but Four Mile Creek State park is a really nice campground. It's 10 minutes from Old Fort Niagara and 20 minutes from Niagara Falls. You get free parking at Niagara Falls as it's part of the State Park system.
    We've been to Four Mile Creek and other than the water washing away the shoreline some now, it's nice. Another one is Sampson State park on the east side of Seneca Lake. It used to be a Airforce base, as well as a Naval base. Even has a small Museum (and after going there for several years now - never been in it. Lots and Lots of wineries around there, plus the Speedway at Watkins Glen on the southern tip of the lake.
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 05-31-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser