User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASHLittle View Post
    We don't like the way a truck rides... Not comfortable. Nor do we like the way it drives. Just saying.'
    I'll just say that the very things that allow a more comfortable towing experience are the same things you hate. Regardless of brochure numbers/ratings etc. of any vehicle. Heavy/stronger frames, stiffer suspension, and heavier/stiffer tires are what makes towing more comfortable. There isn't any way around it. Lighter duty vehicles will be comfortable empty but much more squirrelly towing even if it falls within the "ratings". Finding the balance will be the key. When we had a Cherokee we pulled a pop up, with it light weight and low towing profile it was fine. When we moved to a travel trailer we moved to a suburban.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. So the turbo 6's won't run on regular gas?
    Thanks for telling me that!!!
    I had a 2013 F150 with the EcoBoost (twin turbo V6). It didnt require premium, I used regular and towed an 8k TT without any performance issues. I think that was one of my favorite trucks I've owned.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope this will help for comparisons, Angie. My wife has a 2020 Ford Expedition Max, Platinum trim, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost with HD towing package. The 3.5L in the Platinum trim level gets a horsepower boost, but I don't recall how much over the non-tuned 3.5 - maybe 25 HP? Owner's manual says min octane of 87 and that's what we use. 91 octane recommended for towing. Highway MPG when not towing and with 87 octane gas is ~21. No idea what towing MPG is since we rarely use for towing for anything other than a utility trailer or our 2-horse trailer. These are very short trips. When loaded, weight of the horse trailer is about 4,500-5,000 LB. Tongue weight is probably around 575 LB, no WDH. We can definitely feel it behind us. I would not consider using it to tow the horse trailer more than 100 miles, and that's probably an optimistic estimate.

Here are specs for this specific vehicle:
    Cargo Capacity: 1658 LB
    Max Tongue Weight: 600 LB
    Max Tongue Weight with WDH: 930 LB
    Front GAWR: 3,550 LB
    Rear GAWR: 4,380 LB
    GVWR: 7,720 LB
    GCVWR: 15,500 LB
    Max Trailer Weight: 9,000 LB
    Tires: 285/45/22 - Load 2,337 LB
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NB... THANK YOU. Geezzz, I've never heard anyone say that about a rear kitchen! More education for me. I absolutely LOVE the RK. Probably an obvious conclusion to make, but do we need to pack the front bedroom heavier than the we normally would to offset the rear wt?
    The 22mle is also a rear kitchen and our tw is right at 12.5%. In the past they might have been an issue but I think today they pay more attention on proper balancing them. As for the way a pickup rides, I'd say that to has come a long way. Go try a half ton and see for yourself. They're better then most cars and SUVs now.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkayak View Post
    I’ll offer an observation on your V6 preference. A V6 will only be strong enough to confidently tow the trailer weight you want if it’s turbocharged. Many (most?) V6 turbos will run higher compression ratios, requiring higher octane.
    Fwiw, Ford's EcoBoost (twin Turbo) is regular gas only. The advantage with turbos is the low end torque which is what you want when towing. They out perform most V8 in the same truck class category.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP, now that you have your TT, pick a few vehicles that you might want and punch in those numbers in the many available online calculators. Don't go with any of the tt or TV advertised numbers. That just marketing and really varies by configuration. Instead take GD max GVWR, tongue weight of 13% of that and use the numbers on the vehicles door jam sticker. The add the weight of passengers, WDH, any cargo like a cooler, geny... the last thing you want is riding in a new TV that's not adequate. If you provide us with those numbers then we can help you. And yes, don't cheap on a good wdh. They are around the 1000 mark. There's many thread on that also and again we can help. Be warned though, there are many difference of opinions on these subjects. Lol I for one prefer to be well below max capacity.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll echo the others, lots of good stuff in this thread.

First, the numbers are standardized. There are a few main numbers you are interested in:
    1. Tow Vehicle GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) - payload is simply calculated from this. Payload is equal to the weight of the unloaded tow vehicle subtracted from the GVWR. Moral of the story is to keep all weight on/in the truck under this number.
    2. Trailer GVWR. Same story but with the trailer. Usually not an issue.
    3. GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating). It is possible to exceed the rear axle weight rating while still being within the tow vehicle GVWR. Not super common though. Only way to know this number is to get the loaded rig on a scale.
    4. Tongue Weight. This is important for a few reasons. With an SUV, the primary reason is that this is likely the first number you will run out of. The Expedition, for example, has a max hitch rating of 630lbs, or 930lbs with the heavy duty trailer tow package. It’s also important in making sure the trailer tows well, with 12.5% being a generally good number to aim for.

You may notice that the actual ‘max tow rating’ is not a number I mentioned. That’s because it is a fantasy number that will never be reached with a travel trailer, unless you exceed the above numbers first. So, other than making sure ‘yep, it’s rated to tow my trailer’, I pretty much ignore those.

My recommendation would be an expedition max with max tow pkg or a suburban. You might could also do a regular Expedition or Tahoe, but the extra wheelbase length can really make a difference towing. Both can actually be had in six cylinder configuration, albeit with 1-2 turbos. The expedition max is a gas V6, twin turbo, can run regular or premium. The suburban can be had with a pretty sweet (and pretty fuel efficient) six cylinder turbo diesel motor. Both are now independent suspension all the way around, with modern electric power steering racks. They are still trucks, but they ride and drive better than even small suvs did 10-15 years ago. If interior luxury is desired, it can be had. But you had better option them right for that trailer. And the capability does not come cheap.

On a different front, Ram does pickups with coil springs front and rear, or air suspension all the way around (on the 1500s). They have been reviewed as riding better than a Mercedes when optioned with the air suspension. So, while completely understanding your lack of desire for a truck, if finding the best tow vehicle is truly what you want, it might be worth trying the new ones - they might surprise you. Can’t make them any smaller though haha
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 05-25-2021 at 05:16 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you can just print a 3d printed carbon fiber hitch for the SUV....that would be interesting.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    IÂ’ll echo the others, lots of good stuff in this thread.

First, the numbers are standardized. There are a few main numbers you are interested in:
    1. Tow Vehicle GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) - payload is simply calculated from this. Payload is equal to the weight of the unloaded tow vehicle subtracted from the GVWR. Moral of the story is to keep all weight on/in the truck under this number.
    2. Trailer GVWR. Same story but with the trailer. Usually not an issue.
    3. GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating). It is possible to exceed the rear axle weight rating while still being within the tow vehicle GVWR. Not super common though. Only way to know this number is to get the loaded rig on a scale.
    4. Tongue Weight. This is important for a few reasons. With an SUV, the primary reason is that this is likely the first number you will run out of. The Expedition, for example, has a max hitch rating of 630lbs, or 930lbs with the heavy duty trailer tow package. ItÂ’s also important in making sure the trailer tows well, with 12.5% being a generally good number to aim for.

You may notice that the actual ‘max tow rating’ is not a number I mentioned. That’s because it is a fantasy number that will never be reached with a travel trailer, unless you exceed the above numbers first. So, other than making sure ‘yep, it’s rated to tow my trailer’, I pretty much ignore those.

My recommendation would be an expedition max with max tow pkg or a suburban. You might could also do a regular Expedition or Tahoe, but the extra wheelbase length can really make a difference towing. Both can actually be had in six cylinder configuration, albeit with 1-2 turbos. The expedition max is a gas V6, twin turbo, can run regular or premium. The suburban can be had with a pretty sweet (and pretty fuel efficient) six cylinder turbo diesel motor. Both are now independent suspension all the way around, with modern electric power steering racks. They are still trucks, but they ride and drive better than even small suvs did 10-15 years ago. If interior luxury is desired, it can be had. But you had better option them right for that trailer. And the capability does not come cheap.

On a different front, Ram does pickups with coil springs front and rear, or air suspension all the way around (on the 1500s). They have been reviewed as riding better than a Mercedes when optioned with the air suspension. So, while completely understanding your lack of desire for a truck, if finding the best tow vehicle is truly what you want, it might be worth trying the new ones - they might surprise you. CanÂ’t make them any smaller though haha
    Well, that's a wealth of info. I'd prefer an expedition... The short one. Actually, we measured our garage. Can't park the Ram 1500 in it at all.

I'm printing every message. This group is awesome!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Plus I am a bit confused
    Do you already own this trailer?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Yes, purchase in process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast