Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASHLittle View Post
    Yes, purchase in process.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    Or you can just print a 3d printed carbon fiber hitch for the SUV....that would be interesting.
    Don't tempt me. I'm a computer nut. Problem is, it would take forEVER to print.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASHLittle View Post
    Well, that's a wealth of info. I'd prefer an expedition... The short one. Actually, we measured our garage. Can't park the Ram 1500 in it at all.

I'm printing every message. This group is awesome!
    That's funny in a way. When I bought a 1500 RAM I took one of the test drives to my house and made sure it would fit under the garage door. When I had to park it in the garage for the summer I had to remove the front license plate bracket in order to close the door. LOL

My 2500 won't even come close to fitting.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    That's funny in a way. When I bought a 1500 RAM I took one of the test drives to my house and made sure it would fit under the garage door. When I had to park it in the garage for the summer I had to remove the front license plate bracket in order to close the door. LOL

My 2500 won't even come close to fitting.
    My husband had to back our Titan in. Get out, either climb in the bed and walk across + open our kitchen door and jump in.
    OR
    Tightrope walk the bumper and jump in kitchen from the side.
    Nothing to it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my limited 2 cents:

I have always been an SUV guy as well (Jeep Grand Cherokee).
    I quickly learned it was never going to be a good fit for my 2600RB, I bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Longhorn specifically for the towing.
    Four months in:
    The truck can pull it- the suspension is the low end of adequate after WDH, Slipper Springs, and Joust bumpers. my weight is dialed-in perfectly by a CAT scale. I just ordered a Hensley hitch to prevent a little sway at 68 ( I do not expect to do 80) I just want safe.
    If I were to do it all over again I would buy a 3500 (skipping a 2500 the payload difference isn't enough and the price is pretty close). As a weekender on the east coast, I am OK once we head west I will buy a bigger truck. Just my humble recent experience you can not have too much truck, but you can pay for it twice if you buy the wrong one.

BTW...If you follow the threads Rob is usually a great voice of wisdom.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    Just my limited 2 cents:

I have always been an SUV guy as well (Jeep Grand Cherokee).
    I quickly learned it was never going to be a good fit for my 2600RB, I bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Longhorn specifically for the towing.
    Four months in:
    The truck can pull it- the suspension is the low end of adequate after WDH, Slipper Springs, and Joust bumpers. my weight is dialed-in perfectly by a CAT scale. I just ordered a Hensley hitch to prevent a little sway at 68 ( I do not expect to do 80) I just want safe.
    If I were to do it all over again I would buy a 3500 (skipping a 2500 the payload difference isn't enough and the price is pretty close). As a weekender on the east coast, I am OK once we head west I will buy a bigger truck. Just my humble recent experience you can not have too much truck, but you can pay for it twice if you buy the wrong one.

BTW...If you follow the threads Rob is usually a great voice of wisdom.
    Ex-Nihilo, I agree, skip the 250/2500 and go straight to the 350/3500. I wished I would have done that. I actually had a Titan XD Cummins, which I liked, but it lacked the power to get out of its own way. Then moved to a 2017 F250, which I really liked, and finally moved into a 2020 F350. Night and day difference from the XD, and so much better than my 250 and has nearly 4200lbs of payload, which is more than adequate for my needs. Can't wait to pull my 350G with it! I'd only look at going to an F450 a few years down the road after a re-design and I just wanted something different.
    2022 Momentum 350G - all upgrades minus 3 season doors
    2020 F350 Lariat Sport 6.7 CCLB FX4 - 3.5" Carli Pintop Suspension System - Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 w/Wireless One - 68 Gallon S&B Fuel Tank
    2022 CanAm Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR w/Smart-Shox (on order)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASHL-LDL View Post
    Well, that's a wealth of info. I'd prefer an expedition... The short one. Actually, we measured our garage. Can't park the Ram 1500 in it at all.

I'm printing every message. This group is awesome!
    Meh, nothing a little carpentry cannot fix! Lol. I actually just finished extending the double side of our garage - could only push out the portal side - 3 feet in order to bring in my trucks...

I used to tow with SUVs when they were built as trucks and with big-block gas engines - 98 GMC C2500 Suburban with 7.4L and then a 2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500 with 8.1L. Handled our 8800# and 9600# trailers great, but today's SUVs...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I'll just say that the very things that allow a more comfortable towing experience are the same things you hate. Regardless of brochure numbers/ratings etc. of any vehicle. Heavy/stronger frames, stiffer suspension, and heavier/stiffer tires are what makes towing more comfortable. There isn't any way around it. Lighter duty vehicles will be comfortable empty but much more squirrelly towing even if it falls within the "ratings". Finding the balance will be the key. When we had a Cherokee we pulled a pop up, with it light weight and low towing profile it was fine. When we moved to a travel trailer we moved to a suburban.
    Our first experience with towing a TT was with a Suburban ( 1/2 ton ). We were towing a no slide Starcraft Autumn ridge about 28ft. Scariest driving I ever experienced, especially driving from Washington state to Montana and back. Barely make it over the mountain passes on I-90. After three years our last trip coming home I could barely reach 40mph going into Marias Pass outside of GNP. The heavy wind out of the mountains kept pushing us around and any semi driving by made it feel like we were going to drive off the road. That was it. Told my wife I wouldn't do that anymore so we bought a GMC Sierra 3500. Upgraded our TT and then upgraded again to an Imagine 2600RB. Bought another GMC Sierra Denali ( 3500 ) and upgraded the 2600RB to 2500RL. Pulling TT with 1 ton trucks is a breeze. The ride on the highway is mostly OK. It's the crappy roads in out town I really feel the stiffness of the suspension.

I would never go back to towing with a SUV no matter what the numbers say. Unless it was a tiny Rpod or tent trailer.
    Bill & Rachel
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD DRW
    2023 Host Everest
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL—( No longer own ).

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a imagine aim 15rb and tow with a 6cyl gmc canyon and i wonder if i should upgrade my truck

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sctmlmn View Post
    i have a imagine aim 15rb and tow with a 6cyl gmc canyon and i wonder if i should upgrade my truck
    Bigger is always better.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sctmlmn View Post
    Where do you tow? Where are you from? How is the truck performing now? Where have you taken the camper? How long have you had the camper.

Lots of information from you would help everyone provide some good advice. Thanks.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123