Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cody, WY Routing to Yellowstone

My wife and I are heading up to Yellowstone NP this fall. RV Trip Wizzard is routing us into Cody via highway 120 and we merge with highways 14/16/20 and proceed through Cody finally exiting to the west via highways 14/16/20. So my question is this; are the streets along this route RV friendly? We are pulling our 303 5th wheel, will we get get caught up on narrow streets in this town?
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Town? In WY, Cody is considered a major city... I assume you meant 120. Your routing is fine. Same routing for trucks through Cody. Stop and spend some time if you can.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to stop at the hot springs in Thermopolis. Even if you are not a gun enthusiast the Remington Museum in Cody is amazing, not only guns but western art also. Buffalo Bill State Park is a nice place to spend a night or two. Just don't leave your awning out if you leave the RV.

You will have no trouble navigating through Cody the main streets.

Up around Yellowstone you will get some "Mountain Driving" experience. Be sure your exhaust brake is on. Coming into Yellowstone NP you will climb up Sylvan Pass, not too bad with 7% grades and only a couple of 25mph turns. Watch out for Buffalo crossing the highway.

There are three or four 9-10% grades in the NW Wyoming area. I highly recommend you get Mountain Directory for traveling in the Rockies. It does a good job of describing mountain passes. I have driven lots of mountain passes, but there are two roads I have avoided, 14A east of Lovell, WY. The "Oh My God" hill, 10% grade intimidates me. And 191 N of Flaming Gorge and South of Vernal, another 10% grade with tight curves. Oh yeah, just remembered Teton Pass on highway 22 west of Jackson, WY, scary driving.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Oh yeah, just remembered Teton Pass on highway 22 west of Jackson, WY, scary driving.
    My wife will attest to that. She says its worse as a passenger. She was riding the passenger-side brake the whole way.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    My wife and I are heading up to Yellowstone NP this fall. RV Trip Wizzard is routing us into Cody via highway 120 and we merge with highways 14/16/20 and proceed through Cody finally exiting to the west via highways 14/16/20. So my question is this; are the streets along this route RV friendly? We are pulling our 303 5th wheel, will we get get caught up on narrow streets in this town?
    Cody is b ig rig friendly. WY-120 from Thermopolis is a good two lane road. No problems. Don't try entering via Cooke City-Silver gate. Your rig won't make 296. That gate, in my mind, is the best entrances Yellowstone has but it is an adventure getting there.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cody will be no problem with your 303.
    If they are still running, the Triple 'C' Cowboys put on a good show before going to the Cody rodeo.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997