User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

390RK Weight Questions..

Hello again everyone....

As stated in another post, I am considering upgrading to a Solitude 390RK-R. I have some weight questions that hopefully you guys can help me with. We went and looked at a 390RK this past weekend and loved it. :-)

1. For anyone that has weight their truck & 390RK on a CAT scale, can you share that information please?
    2. I assume that upgrading to the 8K is going to increase the GVWR of the trailer, correct? If so, what is the GVWR of a 390RK with 8K axles?
    3. I have seen reference in other forums to a Grand Design "Weight Sheet" that comes with your trailer at purchase? If this exists, can someone share their weight sheet?

Thanks, again... I really appreciate everyone's help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cg,
    We too love that rig and it is on my short list of future in retirement. As to question number 2. I read that from the factory, the 8k axles would have a GVWR of 18,000, 16,600 with the 7k axles. It would be a total waste of storage space to have the 7k axles.
    Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the 390RK-R, however my 344GK has the same GVWR. The layout is a bit different, but perhaps the below can help.

FYI, Upgrading to 8k axles will not increase your GVWR. It will give you more confidence in the set-up and is worth the investment, however it will not help with ratings.
    The frame, suspension, tires, axles all go into the GVWR.

Loaded, I would anticipate 3,000 to 3,300 lbs pin weight.
    Most SRW 1ton pickups are capable, but close to max weights (GVWR/Payload).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solitude Weights.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	34850
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, My weights were with a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW 4X4.

Newer truck has a few more pounds of capacity.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post

FYI, Upgrading to 8k axles will not increase your GVWR. It will give you more confidence in the set-up and is worth the investment, however it will not help with ratings.
    The frame, suspension, tires, axles all go into the GVWR.

WRONG!!

Yet another example of incorrect information being spread as factual data from someone who has no idea what they're talking about. Why do people feel the need on these forums to just make up information?

FACT. The 8,000 lbs axle upgrade, from the factory, does in fact increase the GVWR of the 390RK to 18,000 lbs. FACT!

At that point the pin box is the limiting factor as it is rated at 18,000 lbs.

The GVWR sticker on the side of the trailer can not be changed after it has left the factory though, so if the upgrade is done after-market then the GVWR on the sticker will always say 16,800.

As of my most recent conversation with a Grand Design rep about two weeks ago (22 Jun 2021 to be exact), there are no plans to add a higher rated pin box or axles to increase the GVWR any further (think Momentum type weights) due to the niche that the Solitude line is marketed for.

Seriously guys, you do nothing but cause harm to our community, whether that be GD owners or RVers in general, by literally pulling answers out of your rear-end and spreading it as gospel. If you don't know what you're talking or don't know an answer, then be big enough of a person to say "I don't know" or simply be big enough to stay out of the conversation. Wrong information or misinformation is more damaging than no information.

If you feel the need to espouse an opinion, unsupported with factual data, then at least add that disclaimer to responses to people. At least they can continue the search for their factual answers without misinformation clouding the process.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	192468267_3936958899692728_7457985368844377692_n.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	35257

Full disclosure, that sticker is not mine, but it is from a 390RK with 8k axles.
    Last edited by RyanBGood; 07-05-2021 at 07:22 AM.
    2020 Chevy 3500HD DRW High Country 4x4, 6.6L Duramax
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R
    MORryde Independent Suspension

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
    Loaded, I would anticipate 3,000 to 3,300 lbs pin weight. Most SRW 1ton pickups are capable, but close to max weights.
    I would estimate the pin weight at over 3,500lbs and it could easily be close to 4,000lbs with generator and/or washer/dryer up front. I had a Solitude 373FB which has the same empty pin weight as the 390RK and it had a loaded pin weight of 3,830lbs.

If you want to stay within the payload rating of your truck, the 390RK is 1 ton dually territory- unless you have a gas engine, single cab 2WD stripped truck. Even then you'll likely exceed the rear axle rating.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBGood View Post
    WRONG!!

Yet another example of incorrect information being spread as factual data from someone who has no idea what they're talking about. Why do people feel the need on these forums to just make up information?

FACT. The 8,000 lbs axle upgrade, from the factory, does in fact increase the GVWR of the 390RK to 18,000 lbs. FACT!

The GVWR sticker on the side of the trailer can not be changed after it has left the factory though, so if the upgrade is done after-market then the GVWR on the sticker will always say 16,800.

As of my most recent conversation with a Grand Design rep about two weeks ago (22 Jun 2021 to be exact), there are no plans to add a higher rated pin box or axles to increase the GVWR any further (think Momentum type weights) due to the niche that the Solitude line is marketed for.

Seriously guys, you do nothing but cause harm to our community, whether that be GD owners or RVers in general, by literally pulling answers out of your rear-end and spreading it as gospel. If you don't know what you're talking or don't know an answer, then be big enough of a person to say "I don't know" or simply be big enough to stay out of the conversation. Wrong information or misinformation is more damaging than no information.

If you feel the need to espouse an opinion, unsupported with factual data, then at least add that disclaimer to responses to people. At least they can continue the search for their factual answers without misinformation clouding the process.
    I appreciate your input here; I've seen MANY folks talk about upgrading axles, airbags, etc. to raise the GVWR of their truck and/or trailer after the purchase, which it does not.
    I misinterpreted the OPs upgrade comment as an upgrade after the fact. Based on my own interpretation I provided the above information.

This was my fault, and not a malicious attempt to fool someone asking for advice / help on a public forum.

When you have evidence to the contrary of what someone has posted, perhaps providing the supporting data without the vitriol may help keep the forum from diving down nasty rat holes; I've seen this too many times.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW