User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 F150 SCREW 157 3.5EB and 2400BH

Had an Andersen WDH with smaller hybrid camper and liked it. When we bought the 2400, I moved it over and hoped it would work. I wasn't happy with the amount of weight distribution or sway control. Decided the family's safety was worth the upgrade and bought a Propride.

Just got the Propride dialed in last weekend and ran an 80 mile test run (to CAT scales). I am very impressed with the hitch and am now confident running 65-70mph. For me, it's worth the extra investment for the piece of mind.

I've said before but will repeat for the record...I'm an urban dweller and have low clearance parking garages to contend with. For that reason, I must keep the F150. The 2400 is as big as I'd pull with it, and the Propride provides an added layer of comfort and safety.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised to see negative comments. My experience was positive. I towed my previous two travel trailers cross country over 6 years with a ProPride with no sway ever. No issues with the hitch once it’s dialed in. Had the company owners cell phone when I had problems. Sold it for more than I paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michark0906 View Post
    I have heard that in other areas that the jacks can be challenging. I am also running into an issue with where I want to store my trailer. They move it to a staging area when you come to pick up, and they won't let me store it there unless I use a ball setup versus the square stinger. If push comes to shove, I was thinking I could provide them with something to move my trailer, but again that adds to the cost and overhead of owning the ProPride 3P. So the difference has to be significant to go through all this.
    Just FYI...they have a new v2 jack system that does not require a shim. No idea if it will help prevent these issues, but it's what they are shipping now. The v2 jacks are quite stable on my trailer frame. Time will tell.

Propride also sells a lot bar that turns the hitch into a 2" ball. It requires about 5 minutes of wrenching so not sure I'd want to go through the hassle each time I wanted to go out, but it's available if you decide to go with the Propride.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't comment on the Equalizer. It is a very common brand - many, many dealers sell it. First, a definition of terms:
    There's "true sway" - starts as the rear end of the trailer peeking out in one side mirror, then shifting to the other. Can build rapidly to the point the trailer whips side to side, and throws everything off the road. The only remedy as it happens is to slow down WITHOUT touching the truck brakes - use the brake controller. It is only due to too little weight on the tongue of the trailer. Hence why it is so important to go to a scale and weigh everything. If you are above 12% of the total weight of the trailer being on the tongue, you likely will be just fine. More is better, but above 15% gets pretty excessive. 12-13% is an optimal range. Lots of youtube videos from Universities showing this problem.
    Other hitches may be "good enough" to dampen it from starting, but it can still be possible at a too high of a speed. If you find it impossible to get optimal tongue weight, then a ProPride/Hensley is the definitive answer to solving the problem. The trailer physically cannot sway, ever.
    Then there are ride/handling issues - "truck suck" where passing semi's seem to want to pull you out of your lane, side wind buffets, porpoising (truck bobbing front to rear, over and over), etc. These are frequently confused with true sway when mild. A properly set Hensley/ProPride can greatly reduce or eliminate some or all of these. One's experience will vary depending on a multitude of factors. A lot of the "fix" comes from proper trailer attitude, proper weight transfer to the front of the TV, tires, suspension, size of truck, etc. Other hitches, properly set, can also do the job in these cases. Hunt around for other owners of your model, pulling with a truck close to yours, to see what their comments are. There are hitches that get recommended more than Equalizer, but aren't in the cost range of a ProPride/Hensley.

Depending on your ability to take a chance, you can start with the Equalizer, and see how everything goes. Then change up if you have to. A bit of risk you'll end up with an extra hitch. That was my story, with a different brand. I could have bought multiple brands and tried them out, but after the first (an Anderson "No Sway") was so bad, I just made the plunge 4 years ago. Very glad I did.

The "bent jacks" problem was resolved several years ago - first with shims sold to mate to trailers with different than expected frame widths, and now with a completely new jack system. My "shim" version has been rock solid since I got it.
    Just today, I did a 70 mile tow from the dealer. Many trucks. 30+ mph cross winds. I knew it was windy, but still drove one handed. Never once felt a passing truck, and there were many. In my case, getting the nose of the trailer down a bit, and more weight on the front of the truck was what totally cured the "truck suck" problem. It did take some time to get to that solution.

FYI - ProPrde has a stellar reputation for customer service. In setting mine up, a call on a Saturday evening went straight to the owner, who spent all the time it took to make sure I had mine installed correctly. He's very active in the company FB group.
    Note that the inventor, Jim Hensley, was forced out of his namesake company, and receives nothing for their sales. They only have rights to his now pretty old original design. He now works very closely with ProPride, and has introduced many improvements. It is worth the extra....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What turned me away from ProPride is not only the hefty price tage but also the weight. It's a lot heavier then other wdh and not as easy to hitch up.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    What turned me away from ProPride is not only the hefty price tage but also the weight. It's a lot heavier then other wdh and not as easy to hitch up.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Can't argue the cost and weight.

With a backup camera, and a way to set the trailer to hitching height (I use a stick. Some use tape marks on the wrench used to hitch up. Some do it by eye watching as weight comes on/off the hitch) - I've never had a problem, even in very rough, sloping campgrounds. Takes almost no physical effort if a drill is used for setting the bar tensions. Takes me longer and more tries to hitch up my boat.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm satisfied with my Equalizer hitch.
    However, changing from a 1500 to a 2500 truck made towing less stressful and not affected anywhere near as much when the semis pass me.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post

With a backup camera, and a way to set the trailer to hitching height (I use a stick. Some use tape marks on the wrench used to hitch up. Some do it by eye watching as weight comes on/off the hitch) - I've never had a problem, even in very rough, sloping campgrounds. Takes almost no physical effort if a drill is used for setting the bar tensions. Takes me longer and more tries to hitch up my boat.
    My experience is the same as Sande005
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post

It also adds a foot or so of length. A few years back I had a family flag me down on the road thinking my trailer was disconnected!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the Reese dual cam

Quote Originally Posted by Michark0906 View Post
    I am debating between getting an Equalizer 4 or a ProPride 3P hitch. These hitches are in two completely different camps in terms of sway elimination approach, build, features, and $$$. The idea of completely eliminating sway with the ProPride is very attractive, but it comes at a very high price (and I feel like I am getting sucked into fear marketing versus reality).
    I would also check out the Reese dual cam. I tow my Imagine 2600RB with similar F150 and have been very happy with it (couple thousand miles so far). Much less than the PP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast