User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a comparsion that I believe might help with your decision concerning the two different hitches.
    A friend and I both have ford f150 crew cab 4wd pickups. His is a 2012 with the 3.5 ecoboost and mine is a 2015 is a 2.7 ecoboost. His being pre aluminium likely is 300 to 500 lbs heavier than mine but the trucks are very similiar otherwise. Both have been fitted with air bags and blistein shocks. We both pull Transcend Xplor 221RB. his is a 2021 and mine is a 2020. Both trucks and trailers have been to the scales and both are within limits.
    Mine the lighter 2015 truck is using a ProPride 3p that I had installed at the dealers. Tongue weight loaded is about 900 lbs.
    His is the 2012 truck using an equilizer hitch with a tongue weight loaded of about 700 lbs.
    We camp together about 70% of the time and I've put about 3500 miles on my unit while he has put about 4000 miles on his.
    So what are the results of our trips:
    I've had zero incidents of sway but I will say that with the f150 you still feel the push and pull of the big rigs as they fly by.
    My friend has experienced minor sway from time to time but usually not an issue. However about a month ago while on the PA turnpike he had a truck fly by him very close and very fast. It started a sway problem that almost set the trailer on its side. It all happened too fast to make any correction and because it was started by the "other guy" its hard to know how to prevent it in the future. After he changed his pants and sorted out the trailer he is very concerned about this ever happening again and is asking the same question you are.
    So is one incident every 3 or 4 thousand miles an exceptable rate to save 3 thousand dollars? Only you can answer that.
    I've pulled trailers for over forty years and wouldn't pull anything but an airstream without a Hensley or ProPride hitch. Airstreams and low and have a very low center of gravity so they pull great but are expensive and have limited storage while todays ultra light trailers are high and offer a very large sail to the wind. We can all talk about what to do in a sway situation but having been riding in a tow vehicle when someone else laid the trailer on its side I can tell you that it happens to quickly most of the time to do anything.
    Hope this helps, Happy Camping, DocRob

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRob804 View Post
    .....I've had zero incidents of sway but I will say that with the f150 you still feel the push and pull of the big rigs as they fly by.....
    It took me a few tries, but I'd suggest:
    1. If with no weight dist set, the trailer is nose up, or even level, drop your stinger a little. Per the manual measure both at the very back of the frame, and again at the front. Mine was 1/4" higher. in the front Dropping one hole on the stinger made it low in the front by 3/4 inch.
    2. Make sure to restore the front fender height with the bars set to the same as the unloaded (no trailer hitched at all). Ford says 50% is fine, but coming back all the way really improved things.
    I just did this to mine, and all "truck suck" was gone. Completely.

I intend to play a bit with the jack heights a bit more (coming down a little) to see if I can reduce the effect of wind pushes even more, without upsetting anything else. But even if I keep it where it is now, the driving experience is amazing. At least the same, and perhaps even better, than my old Jayco Firth Wheel!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I did purchase the ProPride 3p system and can say that I am in love with it. Makes towing some much more enjoyable and the customer service is excellent.

$3,300 over the next 10-15 yrs is well worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234