User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jaboni 300 watt system

I have this on my Momentum.
    I added a couple of panels for a total of 540 watts. I was careful not to exceed any of the specs of the Jaboni 30 amp controller.
    I just returned from it's first trip since the upgrade. The Jaboni keeps going into float at peak Sunlight time. The Victron Monitor shows that the Battle Born Batteries are far from charged. If I turned the controller off, and then back on, it would go into Bulk, but 10 minutes later would be back into float.I could not reach Jaboni during the trip, but I did talk to Battle Born. Battle Born told me that reseting the controller that way would not harm the batteries so long as they were taking the charge. Also if I started the generator, it would continue charging at a high rate until full. So armed with that info, and the Victron monitor showing a charge deficit, I spent an afternoon watching the monitor and controller, resetting it everytime it went into float. I was able to completely recharge the batteries doing this.

Back in town, I had several conversations with Jaboni. As part of the diagnosis I discovered that the Jaboni consistently reads the battery voltage one half volt higher than the Victron monitor. The Victron is correct.

Jaboni finally said it had to be the controller, as all other possibilities had been ruled out. Now the fun part. In order to get it warrantied, I need to take the trailer to the dealer, and let them diagnose it.
    First off, they would have it for 3-4 months,,,, Second I seriously doubt they are qualified for this,, so it would be a huge waste of time.

I told them that their policy basically means there is no warranty. .
    I am not going thru all that frustration for a part that retails for 192.00. And I will not give Jaboni any more of my money.

My adding the solar panels got the system close to the max specs. of the Jaboni, but not over. It seems that the Jaboni can not perform to what its specs state.
    As if I shade some of the panels, it works correctly. But it seems to top out at about 360 watts. Not the 550 it is rated for.

I will just chalk this up to a bad experience and move on.

I previously wrote about about upgrading this system here. I no longer think that this system can be upgraded much, if at all.
    Last edited by huntindog; 05-25-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded my factory 300w system by replacing it :-)

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the Jaboni controller. I had trouble with mine as well. It would display an over voltage error and stop charging. If I turned it off and then back on, it would start working again - for a while. If you compare the build quality of a Victron solar charge controller to a Jaboni, it's no surprise we experience problems with the Jaboni.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

I will just chalk this up to a bad experience and move on.

I previously wrote about about upgrading this system here. I no longer think that this system can be upgraded much, if at all.
    Are you going to change to a Victron or other controller?
    @Second Chance have you had any issues with your stock panel and controller and the BB batteries?
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    @Second Chance have you had any issues with your stock panel and controller and the BB batteries?
    Will be going with Victron. Since I am spending more money, I am considering adding more panels as well. So my exact model controller hasn't been decided yet. options are leave as is. or add two 120 watt panels, or add 4 120 watt panels.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    None whatsoever. I set the Jaboni controller to "Lithium" when I installed the batteries and it has worked as designed. The batteries are still at full charge when we pull in after a long travel day running the residential refrigerator (unless the weather is heavily overcast or raining, of course).

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 05-25-2021 at 05:19 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    None whatsoever. I set the Jaboni controller to "Solar" when I installed the batteries and it has worked as designed. The batteries are still at full charge when we pull in after a long travel day running the residential refrigerator (unless the weather is heavily overcast or raining, of course).

Rob
    I think you meant "Lithium"

I am not suprised that yours is working... It is basically the way it came from the factory. Add some panels, and I bet your luck will change.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I think you meant "Lithium"

I am not suprised that yours is working... It is basically the way it came from the factory. Add some panels, and I bet your luck will change.
    Yep - error corrected. Thanks.

Since the system is doing what we wanted it to do, I have no plans to add panels or expand the system.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plans are well underway to expand the Solar on my 398M.
    I have 4 more Aims 120 watt panels to add to the two I already have.
    The plan is to return the Jaboni back to it's factory stock configuration, as it works properly like that. I will run the 6 Aims 120 watt panels as a seperate system. Two series strings of 3 panels, with an easy option of being able to add one more string of three.
    I have the Victron 250/100 controller for the new Aims array. This system would total 1020 watts expandable to 1380 watts with ease.

I have one question. The easiest way to run the wiring from the roof is to use the sattelite dish wiring channel. I already have the coaxial cable for the dish and the control cable running thru it. There are two empty slots in the roof plate for the dish. I am considering just running the new array wires thru these slots terminating them on the roof with short cables capped with MC4 connectors. Which would then have 2 into 1 MC4 connectors plugged in, and the two Aims strings plugged into those. My question is on the roof penetration method. Conventional method is to use a gland. That would up the difficulty level a lot. (new hole in roof, likely a different location etc) I can not see any downsides to my proposed method.

What are the thoughts on this?
    Last edited by huntindog; 06-18-2021 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I MAY consider when expanding our factory system would be to add another Jaboni controller. On their website they outline how to connect multiple controllers together, so if I do another 300W panel, I'll give it it's own controller to stay within the capacities.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    One thing I MAY consider when expanding our factory system would be to add another Jaboni controller. On their website they outline how to connect multiple controllers together, so if I do another 300W panel, I'll give it it's own controller to stay within the capacities.
    I was a solar newbie when I ordered this 398M with the factory solar. While I do not regret it, now that I have a pretty good grasp of it, I would not recommend doubling up on the Jaboni system. There is absolutly no advantage to doing so, other than having a matched system looks wise.
    You would still need to run new wires from the roof, and I do not think using the same route the factory did is the best option. (now that the unit is built) On my unit I believe the factory ran them from the roof under the panel, thru the inside of a interior wall, thru the floor into the underbelly then forward to the generator compartment thru a hole in the lower crossmember then to the controller. Doing this now after the unit is built.... Would be a challange. The sattelite Channel is a lot easier, and gets the wires just behind the wall to the generator compartment. Drill a small hole in it and it's done.
    To top it off, the Jaboni stuff is expensive for what you get.
    I recommend the Victron stuff, and panels of your choice. I went with the Aims only because two of them in series matched up the closest with the Jaboni panel. You starting from scratch can choose pretty much what ever you want, and likely save a considerable amount doing so. There seems to be a lot of deals on 100 watt panels.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast