Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jaboni 300 watt system

I have this on my Momentum.
    I added a couple of panels for a total of 540 watts. I was careful not to exceed any of the specs of the Jaboni 30 amp controller.
    I just returned from it's first trip since the upgrade. The Jaboni keeps going into float at peak Sunlight time. The Victron Monitor shows that the Battle Born Batteries are far from charged. If I turned the controller off, and then back on, it would go into Bulk, but 10 minutes later would be back into float.I could not reach Jaboni during the trip, but I did talk to Battle Born. Battle Born told me that reseting the controller that way would not harm the batteries so long as they were taking the charge. Also if I started the generator, it would continue charging at a high rate until full. So armed with that info, and the Victron monitor showing a charge deficit, I spent an afternoon watching the monitor and controller, resetting it everytime it went into float. I was able to completely recharge the batteries doing this.

Back in town, I had several conversations with Jaboni. As part of the diagnosis I discovered that the Jaboni consistently reads the battery voltage one half volt higher than the Victron monitor. The Victron is correct.

Jaboni finally said it had to be the controller, as all other possibilities had been ruled out. Now the fun part. In order to get it warrantied, I need to take the trailer to the dealer, and let them diagnose it.
    First off, they would have it for 3-4 months,,,, Second I seriously doubt they are qualified for this,, so it would be a huge waste of time.

I told them that their policy basically means there is no warranty. .
    I am not going thru all that frustration for a part that retails for 192.00. And I will not give Jaboni any more of my money.

My adding the solar panels got the system close to the max specs. of the Jaboni, but not over. It seems that the Jaboni can not perform to what its specs state.
    As if I shade some of the panels, it works correctly. But it seems to top out at about 360 watts. Not the 550 it is rated for.

I will just chalk this up to a bad experience and move on.

I previously wrote about about upgrading this system here. I no longer think that this system can be upgraded much, if at all.
    Last edited by huntindog; 05-25-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison