User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddog303 View Post
    Great info gents wish I had read something like this before I ordered the residential fridge,this solar power seems to be a waste of funds for what I have gotten.
    Your fridge at 12V is NOT a residential fridge. It is one of the newr 12V RV fridges.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    12 volts vs. 120 volts amperage equals a different amount of watts.
    12 volts at 25 amps equals 300 watts. (which is what second chance said his fridge uses)
    20 amps at 120 volts equals 2400 watts. which is quite bit more than a normal compressor fridge uses.

I think what you are missing is that watts is a constant when it comes to figuring electricity consumption. Volts and amps are not.

So 300 watts @12V equals 25 amps.
    300 watts @120V equals 2.5 amps.

Your inverter takes 12V in and produces 120V out....With some consumption in doing so. But the battery is 12 volts. So the amperage hit on the battery is measured at 12V. not 120V

Not sure what an inverter fridge is.
    To my knowledge there are 2 kinds
    The propane /elec. which does not use a compressor or
    The residential fridge which does use a compressor, and only runs on elec.
    Thanks, this is confusing to me but first let me explain the third option on refrigerators. The factory installed Samsung refrigerator is a 120 volt digital inverter refrigerator which uses much less power than the traditional 120 volt compressor refrigerator. The inverter refrigerator compressor is always on but uses a variable amount of power. You can google for more information. Maybe you can help me work backwards on my 12 volt usage for the refrigerator. The Samsung digital inverter refrigerator uses 80 watts at 120 volts to run it. The Solitude has a 1000 volt inverter to convert 12 volts to 120 volts to run the refrigerator when no shore power is available. So if I need 80 watts at 120 volts are you saying the inverter uses 25 amps to convert 12 volts to 120 volts for 80 watts of power at 120 volts?
    Last edited by USA in a Chevrolet; 08-10-2021 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    Thanks, this is confusing to me but first let me explain the third option on refrigerators. The factory installed Samsung refrigerator is a 120 volt digital inverter refrigerator which uses much less power than the traditional 120 volt compressor refrigerator. The inverter refrigerator compressor is always on but uses a variable amount of power. You can google for more information. Maybe you can help me work backwards on my 12 volt usage for the refrigerator. The Samsung digital inverter refrigerator uses 80 watts at 120 volts to run it. The Solitude has a 1000 volt inverter to convert 12 volts to 120 volts to run the refrigerator when no shore power is available. So if I need 80 watts at 120 volts are you saying the inverter uses 25 amps to convert 12 volts to 120 volts for 80 watts of power at 120 volts?
    My mistake, I thought all of the solitudes had the big 18 cf fridges.What you basically have is an 8Cf residential fridge, since i t only runs on 120 volts. I guess they call it an inverter fridge as it requires an inverter for it to operate.
    Onto the amp draw. It is pretty simple. If it in fact uses 80 watts (check your manual on that), then you divide 12 into 80 and get 6.66 amps.That would be if the inverter was 100% efficient. None of them are. Look up the specs for yours and go from there.

If you really want to know just what things draw in the real world, get a shunt that can measure actual amps going in and out of the batteries. It is a real eye opener. I have one by Victron that is bluetooth and all the info is available in the app on my phone. It even calculates hoe long your batteries will last at the present rate of consumption.

BTW, there is another type of fridge, a 12 volt compressor fridge. No inverter needed. But it is not available in larger sizes.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just googled the samsung fridge. I am puzzled as to why they call it an inverter fridge. It does have a variable speed compressor, but I unsure that makes it an inverter. I guess it sounds cool.
    I was unable to find the electricy consumption in the specs... It is just not there. That is strange as they do brag up its efficiency. I would think they would want to list it. One thing to note though, That type of fridge never shuts off. So a low amp draw that never quits will drain the batteries. If your fridge only uses 80 watts that would make it about 7 amps. You have 105 amps available at 50% battery drain, means you can run the friidge on batteries for 15 hours, IF there are no other draws

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I just googled the samsung fridge. I am puzzled as to why they call it an inverter fridge. It does have a variable speed compressor, but I unsure that makes it an inverter. I guess it sounds cool.
    I was unable to find the electricy consumption in the specs... It is just not there. That is strange as they do brag up its efficiency. I would think they would want to list it. One thing to note though, That type of fridge never shuts off. So a low amp draw that never quits will drain the batteries. If your fridge only uses 80 watts that would make it about 7 amps. You have 105 amps available at 50% battery drain, means you can run the friidge on batteries for 15 hours, IF there are no other draws
    Thanks for your input. Hopefully someone with more experience than either of us will be able to clarify this for us.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234