User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Okay, no problem. I hadn't read any other articles on it, right now for me it's a novel idea. Just not for me, yet. To get be interested in buying one, it needs to have a range of 400-600 miles while towing a big load with a CCC on par with a F450 to get me interested, and to be able to charge it to full in about 20-30 minutes.

New battery technology will be needed to do that though. For now, I'll stick with my diesel F350.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. I would estimate towing would reduce range by 50% with the EV/F150. For now our F350 diesel is the tow monster.

We’ve owned an EV for 6 years now. I don’t see us buying an electric truck to tow anything. It would be a nice vehicle to replace our current gas F150 in a few years, for local driving and 120 mile one way trip, back and forth to our cabin. That’s what we currently use our EV car for. In 6 years we always overnight charge at home or at the cabin. It costs us 2.5 cents/mile to charge the Leaf at home. I could see doing the same with an EV/F150.

We’ve owned 4 Nissan Leafs. Each time we were able to negotiate $10,000 off MSRP with dealer discounts and rebates. Plus we were able to save $7,500 in federal tax credits for each one. The first and second one cost us less than $20,000 after discounts, rebates and tax credits. The newer ones cost us about $27k each after discounts, rebates and tax credits.

We owned;
    A 2015 with 90 miles range.
    A 2018 with 150 miles range
    A 2019 with 225 miles range (totaled)
    A 2020 with 225 miles range.

Range is reduced by about 20% at 70 MPH.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Okay, no problem. I hadn't read any other articles on it, right now for me it's a novel idea. Just not for me, yet. To get be interested in buying one, it needs to have a range of 400-600 miles while towing a big load with a CCC on par with a F450 to get me interested, and to be able to charge it to full in about 20-30 minutes.

New battery technology will be needed to do that though. For now, I'll stick with my diesel F350.

Yeah, you're not getting 400 to 600 miles when towing with your current F350.

When towing your range is closer to 250 than 600.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Yeah, you're not getting 400 to 600 miles when towing with your current F350.

When towing your range is closer to 250 than 600.
    Actually, we get about 400 when towing our 320MKS.

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eveilleu View Post
    Hi,
    Just saw the "specs" of the electric f150 They say it can tow 10000lbs and has a cargo capacity of 2000lbs. I almost put a deposit on one right away! But humm... Not sure how it would handle an Imagine 2670MK. Numbers look like it might work.

Not to sure how many times I'd need to recharge. Any thoughts?

Eric
    The only real number I have heard about towing with an Electric truck is that range is reduced by about 50% when towing. This came from the Engineers testing the Rivian R1T pickup in the AZ desert on a very steep hill.

Given that the Ford Lightening is not that aerodynamic to begin with, I think there is a chance that your range may be reduced less than 50%, maybe to as low as 40% with some lower speed driving, 60 mph instead of 80 mph.

If the towing does reduce the range by 50%, that still gives you a 150 mile range before you need to charge. Many people would find that range very acceptable for their weekend camping trips. If you needed to make longer trips, you could easily plan your way across the country with the existing Fast Charging Stations. Not everyone has a need to keep driving for ten hours non-stop (most of us don't have 600 mile bladders anymore).
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do any of you folks know the cost of a home charging station, initial and recurring cost of electricity.
    for the new Ford truck. I am just curious and interested
    in the new truck as a daily driver, distance is not a problem and would not tow a trailer with it.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Do any of you folks know the cost of a home charging station, initial and recurring cost of electricity.
    in the new truck as a daily driver, distance is not a problem and would not tow a trailer with it.
    Bob A.
    The cost of a home charging station will depend on if you want Ford's "Vehicle 2 Home" connectivity. If you just want a "Level 2" charger they can be bought for $300 to $500, plus whatever an Electrician will charge you to install a 240 volt circuit. All in, I would say $500 t $700 would get one installed for you. You also want to look into any State or Utility Company rebates available to you, these rebates might bring the cost down significantly.

If you want to take advantage of Ford's Vehicle to Home system, you will need an Electrician to design and install the system, so the cost could be in the $2000 to $5000 range.

When it comes to operating cost, the savings are significant. Not only do you save money on fuel (electricity vs Gas/Diesel), but, you also save money on maintenance, no oil changes, no radiator flushes, etc. Additionally, most EVs can be driven with "One Pedal", where raising your foot from the accelerator engages the "Regenerative" braking feature that puts your kinetic energy back into your battery. Regenerative Braking saves a lot of wear on your brakes and allows them to last well beyond 100,000 miles.

When it comes to fueling your EV with Electricity, you should save 20% or more compared to Fossil Fuels. Your savings go up immensly if you have "Time of use" rates from your utility company where you can charge up much cheaper overnight. If you have Solar Panels on your house then the fuel is Free, it doesn't get any better than that !!!

Bottom line: it usually takes 5 to 7 years for your cost savings to equal the price premium you pay for an EV, unless, you are operating a Fleet Vehicle, then the entire vehicle can pay for it self in 5 years.

The savings are significant, but unless you are driving a lot of miles the break-even point is usually around 5 years.

Bob, one thing I am sure of is that you will love not having to stop at the gas station once or twice a week, just pull into your garage, or driveway, and plug it in. That is the feature of driving Electric that my wife loved the most.

PS: We did not notice any change on our electric bill with our EV.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 05-26-2021 at 07:27 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob A.
    Bob,

A little EV education. First the charger is built into the truck/car. The Equipment for a Home Station is called an EVSE. They come in different capacity Levels, L1 (slow) or L2 (med fast) for home and L3 DC fast charge for commercial locations.

It’s likely that Ford will include a EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equioment) with the truck as other vehicle manufactures do. My Nissan comes with one that can plug into a standard 120v outlet with a supplied adaptor or plug into a 14-50P amp 240 outlet that is used for most electric stoves or RVs. Cost to install a 240v 50 a outlet can range from $150 to more depending on local electrician rates and distance from your breaker box.

When plugged up into the 120v outlet it is a L1 charger that provides 4-5 miles of range for each hour connected. When plugged into a 240 outlet it is a L2 charger and provides 20-25 miles of range each hour being charged. So it takes about 10 hours to fully charge my Nissan overnight at home when my battery is only at 10%.

Here in Florida electric is relatively inexpensive compared to more other locations. We pay about 10 cents per kWh. Doing the math it costs me about 2.5 cents/mile for electric to charge. The window sticker shows equivalent to 110 e-miles per gallon. My guess is an electric truck would cost probably 30% more or about 3.5cents/mile at 10 cents/kWh, weight and drag.

Here’s a picture of my EVSE plugged into a 50 amp outlet that I installed in my barn at my vacation cabin and the L2 hard wired one I installed at my house almost 6 years ago.

Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s recent electric usage from the Florida Power and Light web site showing daily electric usage at our vacation cabin. You can easily see where I charged 4 times. Each time it cost about $4 to replenish 160-180 miles of range. I’ve circled the additional electric usage due to charging the car.

Here’s a snapshot of the car battery status and estimated 219-230 miles of range this morning.

Jerry & Linda

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent information, you guys are electric smart, which I am not.
    I am your typical American just wanting to do what's best for myself and others.
    Electric cars have their place and the future will bring amazing progress.
    My concern about electric vehicles is the strain on the USA power grid.
    Can we produce enough electricity to serve the EV market on a mass scale without making electricity
    prohibitively expensive?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent information, you guys are electric smart, which I am not.
    I am your typical American just wanting to do what's best for myself and others.
    Electric cars have their place and the future will bring amazing progress.
    My concern about electric vehicles is the strain on the USA power grid.
    Can we produce enough electricity to serve the EV market on a mass scale without making electricity
    prohibitively expensive?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge:
    Bob A.
    My guess is that most utility companies are licking their chops at the thought of america going EV. But I think we're a long ways off before EV's become mainstream.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast