User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Excellent information, you guys are electric smart, which I am not.
    I am your typical American just wanting to do what's best for myself and others.
    Electric cars have their place and the future will bring amazing progress.
    My concern about electric vehicles is the strain on the USA power grid.
    Can we produce enough electricity to serve the EV market on a mass scale without making electricity
    prohibitively expensive?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge:
    Bob A.
    EVs all have the ability to set a time of day charging time. Consequently, if your utility offered lower overnight rates (say midnight to 5 am) you can set your EV to charge during those lower rates. Additionally, most utilities are installing Smart Meters that can be programmed by the utility that will let the utility turn on, or turn off, devices like EV charging and pool pumps to help them control electricity usage on the Grid.

There have been several studies that show the Electric Grid can handle mass-market EV adoption without crashing down.

The good news about the Electric Grid is that Solar and Wind powered electricity costs less to produce than any Fossil Fuel generated electricity. As a matter of fact, Solar and Wind power costs less to produce than just the cost of the fossil fuel alone.

During most of my adult life, there has been a theoretical cost goal for Solar PV of $1.00 per Watt. The theory was that if Solar PV cost $1.00 per Watt, then it would be at cost parity with coal power generation and everybody would adopt Solar PV because it would cost less than getting your energy from the Power Company. Just the other day, I read an article that set the cost of all our imported Solar panels at $0.34 cents per Watt. If you look back at the cost of Solar panels in the 1970's and you see the $0.34 cent price you know how incredible that $0.34 cent price truly is.

FYI, two days ago I posted a link for a Solar panel that was available for (retail price) $0.54 cents per Watt. Prices like these will truly democratize Electricity generation and make it possible to disconnect from the power Grid entirely.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with reasonable towing capacity. you'll still have to plug them in for a recharge when you get where you're going or you're not going home. I've not seen the plugs for these things. Can they be plugged into a 30 or 50 pedestal at the campground? Is there a plug adapter to do so?
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    My guess is that most utility companies are licking their chops at the thought of america going EV. But I think we're a long ways off before EV's become mainstream.
    Tony Seba (author and lecturer) starts his Lectures about EV adoption by showing a picture of 5th Avenue in New York city in 1900 that shows a street full of horse drawn carriages and only one "horseless" carriage, he then shows a picture of 5th Avenue taken in 1913 that shows a street full of horseless carriages and only one horse drawn carriage. Thirteen years was all it took for us to fully adopt the Automobile. How long did it take us to adopt to digital cameras (ask Kodak and Polaroid)? How long did it take us to adopt flat screen TVs?

EV adoption is upon us and I think you will be amazed at how fast EVs take over the Automobile market. EVs will take over the market, not only because they are cleaner and greener transportation, but because they are better cars to drive, their torque and quickness due to the electric motors make EVs fun to drive and their quietness make driving an EV a very pleasurable experience.

We currently have more choices in the EV marketplace than we have ever had and the next few years will see even more compelling EVs enter the market. I predict that EVs will out sell ICE cars worldwide in 2027 and in the USA by 2029.

For those interested in seeing an excellent lecture on how fast markets can change, and be disrupted, I have linked Tony Seba's lecture titled; Rethinking the Future below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYFbnrBrbhs
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finz04 View Post
    Even with reasonable towing capacity. you'll still have to plug them in for a recharge when you get where you're going or you're not going home. I've not seen the plugs for these things. Can they be plugged into a 30 or 50 pedestal at the campground? Is there a plug adapter to do so?
    Yes, they can even be plugged into a 110 volt outlet (the charging is slow, but you are going to be there for a few days).
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Yes, they can even be plugged into a 110 volt outlet (the charging is slow, but you are going to be there for a few days).
    Thank you for that. We've had hybrid vehicles, but never full on electric. Always thought you had to use a special charging station.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finz04 View Post
    The RV 14-50R 50:amp outlet is the normal outlet that most Level 2 EVSEs use. So yes it can be plugged into a RV 50 amp pedestal.

I installed a RV 50:amp outlet in my shed/barn to power my Nissan car charger. I also use that outlet to power my Reflection RV occasionally.

Here’s a picture I just took of the plug and receptacle. Look familiar?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F6E8BFE3-5B4C-42B0-ADFB-E87A3472CC16.jpg  
    Last edited by Jerryr; 05-26-2021 at 06:53 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I self installed my EV outlet that doubles as an RV outlet in my Shed/Barn. The material cost was less than $60 total. $10 for the 50 amp DP breaker, $9 for outlet, $25 for #8 THWN wire by the foot at HD, $9 for the metal box and cover plate. I already had the Flexible Nonmetallic Liquid-Tight Electrical Conduit and fittings.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	34394
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently purchased a 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV for my wife. It is significantly more powerful and efficient than the non-electrified version, and after available tax credits and incentives only came in at a $400 premium. Our solar system produces excess energy, so I added a 50 amp outlet on a dedicated circuit ($300) in the garage and keep the battery topped off during daylight hours. On most days, the gas motor never kick on as my wife is only driving around town and it has a 25 mile all-electric range. On a recent trip from our home in San Diego to Phoenix, it functioned like every other vehicle I've ever owned. It is literally the best of all worlds.

I can't imagine driving an all-electric tow vehicle. The charging anxiety would be overwhelming to me. Heck, there have been a few times when the lack of readily available fuel has been an issue. There are still places in the west where you can easily drive 150 miles without passing a gas station, much less a charging station! I can offset that by carrying 20 gallons of diesel in the truck bed...that's an extra 200 miles over and above the 48 gallons in the tank. I'm not sure how I would carry an extra 200 miles worth of electrical energy. It seems to me that we are still quite a ways away from wide adoption of electric pickup trucks for serious, long range commercial or RV towing. For local deliveries or camping, I'm sure it would be perfectly acceptable.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    @MoonShadow_1911 Not sure what I’m looking for, but pretty good article, and a nice addition to the thread.

The article mentions they have already taken over 20,000 preorders, and offer XLT, Lariat, and Platinum to consumers, as well as a base version. I know a lot of people (myself included) questioned if the base version was available outside of fleet orders. Ford confirmed it is.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...egular-buyers/

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f15...f150-lightning
    What's interesting is this article from MotorBiscuit: Buying a Ford F-150 Lightning Pro With Extended Range Might Be Impossible.
    https://www.motorbiscuit.com/ford-f-...xtended-range/

They are claiming that Ford will only sell the extended version to commercial customers only... So who knows, at this time it's all speculation.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can also imagine a premium for parking an electric vehicle at your campsite. Plugging in and consuming an unexpected amount of electricity will not be tolerated for long. Some campgrounds discourage/prohibit electric heaters. Add in an electric vehicle and you will pay for it!

Rig: 2017 Reflection 367BHS
    Tow vehicle: 2020 F350 CC 6.7l Platinum SRW LB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast