User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Rolling Along
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Propane Detector False Alarm?

    A couple days ago the gas/CO2 detector alarm went off. We were not cooking and not propane was in use. I couldn't think of any reason that it would have happened... shut off all propane just to be sure. Since then. I turned propane back on and no more problems. But it is still bothering me what may have caused a false alarm. The detector is near the fridge, so maybe an ammonia leak?

    Has anyone had a false alarm?

  2. #2
    Long Hauler
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    All over - Full-timing
    Posts
    2,556
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    A couple days ago the gas/CO2 detector alarm went off. We were not cooking and not propane was in use. I couldn't think of any reason that it would have happened... shut off all propane just to be sure. Since then. I turned propane back on and no more problems. But it is still bothering me what may have caused a false alarm. The detector is near the fridge, so maybe an ammonia leak?

    Has anyone had a false alarm?
    First question, how old is the coach?

    The propane detector is good for about 2, maybe 3 years, then it's time to replace it. Sine have seen it last only a year.

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

  3. #3
    Fireside Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Sugar Grove, IL
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the orientation / walkthrough of my trailer, the tech said that the propane detector could beep in case of low battery?
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
    e2 trunnion hitch and Curt 7-pin brake controller
    Victron SmartSolar 100|50 -- 2x UB121000 100ah -- 4x100W panels
    Always boondocking. No post, no facilities.

  4. #4
    Site Team Ynot4me2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    ON & QC Canada
    Posts
    4,769
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be defective unit or maybe your battery might of been low? If you didn't smell lp then I wouldn't sweat just yet.

    Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

  5. #5
    Rolling Along
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    First question, how old is the coach?

    The propane detector is good for about 2, maybe 3 years, then it's time to replace it. Sine have seen it last only a year.

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Good point. The coach is 2017 model. I'll check manufacturer date on the detector.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Rolling Along
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    This was definitely not a low battery beep. It was a full alarm. Also, opening the door and ventilating cleared the alarm. It was smelling something, I just can't figure out what.

  7. #7
    Long Hauler
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    All over - Full-timing
    Posts
    2,556
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    This was definitely not a low battery beep. It was a full alarm. Also, opening the door and ventilating cleared the alarm. It was smelling something, I just can't figure out what.
    It shouldn't be a low battery, they are usually wired into the coach power. Honestly, if it happens again, I'd replace it. Just my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation.

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

  8. #8
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    2,075
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any source of hydrocarbons can trigger the alarm. Dogs get the blame most often.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

  9. #9
    We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    In the Mitten !
    Posts
    8,335
    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours went off when I spilled some beer near it. Maybe it was signaling that spilling beer is alchohol abuse.
    Seriously though it also went off at the 5 year mark signaling the end of is life. They are hard wired in but to the 12v system. Low battery will also set it off.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.